NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Borrow money in the US to invest in EM


Discussion in Treasury Notes and Bonds

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two duffman with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 1 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 kkjalan with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 3,530 views
    2. thumb_up 2 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 3 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
duffman
New York
 
Posts: 1 since Dec 2011
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

Hello -

I've learned interest rates parity in school and it doesn't make sense to me in real life. If govt backed bonds in relatively strong EM economies (India, Brazil) are offering 9%+ interest and if it costs me 5%-6% to borrow money in the US why not borrow and invest? Take away a 1% for t-cost and I'm still looking at free money. I of course take on forex risk but even after hedging forex there isn't true "parity". Am I missing something here?


Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
RTH vs ETH: when your chart and Volume Profile trading h …
NinjaTrader
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
EA
Platforms and Indicators
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
Want your NinjaTrader indicator created, free?
1 thanks
  #3 (permalink)
 
bluemele's Avatar
 bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Posts: 2,543 since Jun 2010
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842



duffman View Post
Hello -

I've learned interest rates parity in school and it doesn't make sense to me in real life. If govt backed bonds in relatively strong EM economies (India, Brazil) are offering 9%+ interest and if it costs me 5%-6% to borrow money in the US why not borrow and invest? Take away a 1% for t-cost and I'm still looking at free money. I of course take on forex risk but even after hedging forex there isn't true "parity". Am I missing something here?

What happens if they stop paying...? The Bonds that is...

What would you use for collateral? How would you make a big enough dent for this to make sense....

To me, this is what the big guys do... Little guys do stuff like Take out an LOC on their home at 5% and buy a rental unit etc.. same concept..


Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #4 (permalink)
kkjalan
Kolkata , India
 
Posts: 23 since Feb 2012
Thanks Given: 18
Thanks Received: 7


duffman View Post
Hello -

I've learned interest rates parity in school and it doesn't make sense to me in real life. If govt backed bonds in relatively strong EM economies (India, Brazil) are offering 9%+ interest and if it costs me 5%-6% to borrow money in the US why not borrow and invest? Take away a 1% for t-cost and I'm still looking at free money. I of course take on forex risk but even after hedging forex there isn't true "parity". Am I missing something here?

True, this happens, and loads of people are doing this.

Same this in a smaller scale, I instructed a Investor who had Fixed deposits with Banks in India @8%, I got them pledged and took a Loan against them @9%, the money was invested in 12.25% Corp Bond.


Reply With Quote




Last Updated on February 15, 2012


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts