NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





CME Group wants customer money held at clearing houses


Discussion in Brokers

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one brydubtrade with 6 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two wavey with 1 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 vegasfoster with 1 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 itrade2win with 1 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one ThatManFromTexas with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two wavey with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 ab456 with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 brydubtrade with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 6,542 views
    2. thumb_up 11 thanks given
    3. group 6 followers
    1. forum 13 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
 
brydubtrade's Avatar
 brydubtrade 
London UK
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: VK (Futures) & TS (FX)
Broker: Vankar + DTN.IQFeed (moved from Bloomberg)
Trading: Futures - Indices, Energy, Metals, Currencies (starting to look at some softs)
Posts: 18 since Jun 2012
Thanks Given: 32
Thanks Received: 10

Hi chaps

Hopefully this is the right place for this thread?

im curious about your thoughts/opinions on where you feel comfortable to have your monies kept for your trading accounts in view of recent MF Global/PFGBest debacles.

CME Group seem to be pushing to have these funds at clearing houses;

UPDATE 2-CME Group wants customer money held at clearinghouses | Reuters .

I was a customer with MF Global (UK) and I still have my funds sitting with the administrators (or helping in someones summer vacation down the hamptons :-) ) with no sight of when/if I will get a penny back.

I'm not really sure how I exactly feel about this just yet but some form of central account pool is possibly more appealing to me than at your broker/s, as currently is. But how do you allocate funds for cme, nymex, eurex etc as I like to have my monies available to trade whatever instrument im on that day so still needs more thinking.

I agree though that something needs to be done to get back traders confidence [I wonder how many traders have lost confidence or if they still feel the same way?] that their funds are safe as this is No 1 for me.

Cheers and happy trading
Bry


Follow me on X Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
  #3 (permalink)
 vegasfoster 
las vegas
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Velocity/IB
Trading: 6E
Posts: 1,145 since Feb 2010
Thanks Given: 304
Thanks Received: 845


I think the best solution would be to give the money to Obama and let him manage it. I think it would be foolish not to.


Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #4 (permalink)
 
ThatManFromTexas's Avatar
 ThatManFromTexas 
Houston,Tx
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: TF
Posts: 2,265 since Feb 2010
Thanks Given: 1,206
Thanks Received: 4,360


vegasfoster View Post
I think the best solution would be to give the money to Obama and let him manage it. I think it would be foolish not to.



I'm just a simple man trading a simple plan.

My daddy always said, "Every day above ground is a good day!"
Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #5 (permalink)
 ab456 
New Delhi, India
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: SierraChart NinjaTrader,
Trading: ES,Stocks, Futures
Posts: 170 since Sep 2011
Thanks Given: 734
Thanks Received: 111


brydubtrade View Post
Hi chaps

Hopefully this is the right place for this thread?

im curious about your thoughts/opinions on where you feel comfortable to have your monies kept for your trading accounts in view of recent MF Global/PFGBest debacles.

CME Group seem to be pushing to have these funds at clearing houses;

UPDATE 2-CME Group wants customer money held at clearinghouses | Reuters .

I was a customer with MF Global (UK) and I still have my funds sitting with the administrators (or helping in someones summer vacation down the hamptons :-) ) with no sight of when/if I will get a penny back.

I'm not really sure how I exactly feel about this just yet but some form of central account pool is possibly more appealing to me than at your broker/s, as currently is. But how do you allocate funds for cme, nymex, eurex etc as I like to have my monies available to trade whatever instrument im on that day so still needs more thinking.

I agree though that something needs to be done to get back traders confidence [I wonder how many traders have lost confidence or if they still feel the same way?] that their funds are safe as this is No 1 for me.

Cheers and happy trading
Bry

I agree too. If a few more brokers get belly up like this, then that would be a HUGE BLOW to the confidence of the traders. If the trading amount in the account itself if not safe, then that is a Big Issue. Something definitely needs to be done about it, before it is too late.


Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #6 (permalink)
 
brydubtrade's Avatar
 brydubtrade 
London UK
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: VK (Futures) & TS (FX)
Broker: Vankar + DTN.IQFeed (moved from Bloomberg)
Trading: Futures - Indices, Energy, Metals, Currencies (starting to look at some softs)
Posts: 18 since Jun 2012
Thanks Given: 32
Thanks Received: 10

indeed and also not forgetting WorldSpreads (Spread Bet firm) who also went up in smoke with a customer funds hole worth about £13m, although nit futures per se, still not good for clients confidence in the industry..!

Re-hypothecation is the word, as thats what killed the MFG euro bets and therein customers sacred money...


Follow me on X Started this thread Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)
 
brydubtrade's Avatar
 brydubtrade 
London UK
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: VK (Futures) & TS (FX)
Broker: Vankar + DTN.IQFeed (moved from Bloomberg)
Trading: Futures - Indices, Energy, Metals, Currencies (starting to look at some softs)
Posts: 18 since Jun 2012
Thanks Given: 32
Thanks Received: 10

I meant to say that re-hypothecation is what allowed MFG to prop up their huge exposure to the euro bets they were trading..!


Follow me on X Started this thread Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)
 wavey 
Germany / Italy
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: NT8, TS, TV
Trading: Index Futures, FX
Posts: 88 since Nov 2009
Thanks Given: 53
Thanks Received: 38

Generally good to overthink 'model' - I would like more to see

a) better controls / reporting
b) protection up to 50-100K for example through fund like CME thought about as well


Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #9 (permalink)
 itrade2win 
New York
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Charts, TOS
Trading: E-mini S&P 500
Posts: 751 since Aug 2010
Thanks Given: 447
Thanks Received: 438


vegasfoster View Post
I think the best solution would be to give the money to Obama and let him manage it. I think it would be foolish not to.

Yeah "Obama Futures Group" with $5.00 margins, $0.05 commissions RT and $500.00 to open an account.


Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #10 (permalink)
 traderwerks   is a Vendor
 
Posts: 688 since Jun 2009
Thanks Given: 436
Thanks Received: 466



brydubtrade View Post
Hi chaps

Hopefully this is the right place for this thread?

im curious about your thoughts/opinions on where you feel comfortable to have your monies kept for your trading accounts in view of recent MF Global/PFGBest debacles.

CME Group seem to be pushing to have these funds at clearing houses;

UPDATE 2-CME Group wants customer money held at clearinghouses | Reuters .

I was a customer with MF Global (UK) and I still have my funds sitting with the administrators (or helping in someones summer vacation down the hamptons :-) ) with no sight of when/if I will get a penny back.

I'm not really sure how I exactly feel about this just yet but some form of central account pool is possibly more appealing to me than at your broker/s, as currently is. But how do you allocate funds for cme, nymex, eurex etc as I like to have my monies available to trade whatever instrument im on that day so still needs more thinking.

I agree though that something needs to be done to get back traders confidence [I wonder how many traders have lost confidence or if they still feel the same way?] that their funds are safe as this is No 1 for me.

Cheers and happy trading
Bry

I think it would be a great idea, but what happens when I trade on ICE ? My funds are at CME Clearing ?


Math. A gateway drug to reality.
Reply With Quote
Thanked by:




Last Updated on August 3, 2012


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts