NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Pair ATR needed for price move comparison


Discussion in ThinkOrSwim

Updated
    1. trending_up 1,883 views
    2. thumb_up 0 thanks given
    3. group 1 followers
    1. forum 1 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
j arnier
vancouver bc/canada
 
Posts: 1 since Mar 2013
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

I would like to trade a stock pair based on its ATR move of the day. In ThinkOrSwim, there is an "AverageTrueRange" study, however the numbers that it shows are incomprehensible to me. Consider ACE - Cb pair. The ATR(5-day) is something like 0.85, right now as I look at the ATR(5) study shows 0.23. further it has a range in the day of 0.189 to 0.42.

It makes more sense if this is a measure of the price-(yesterday's)close or close-price, but ATR is the greater of close-low, hi-close, and hi-lo. I've tried changing the period from 5 to 21, etc., but it makes little difference.

What I want is to know the (recent) ATR for the pair - so that I can tell how far the price has moved today compared to the ATR.

Help!


Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
EA
Platforms and Indicators
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
  #2 (permalink)
markbrown
Dallas, Tx, USA
 
Posts: 42 since Mar 2013
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 18


j arnier View Post
I would like to trade a stock pair based on its ATR move of the day. In ThinkOrSwim, there is an "AverageTrueRange" study, however the numbers that it shows are incomprehensible to me. Consider ACE - Cb pair. The ATR(5-day) is something like 0.85, right now as I look at the ATR(5) study shows 0.23. further it has a range in the day of 0.189 to 0.42.

It makes more sense if this is a measure of the price-(yesterday's)close or close-price, but ATR is the greater of close-low, hi-close, and hi-lo. I've tried changing the period from 5 to 21, etc., but it makes little difference.

What I want is to know the (recent) ATR for the pair - so that I can tell how far the price has moved today compared to the ATR.

Help!

are you saying that you want to compare the pair atr to the atr of one of the underlying? i am not understanding.

mark brown


{What I want is to know the (recent) ATR for the pair - so that I can tell how far the price has moved today compared to the ATR.} <atr of what?


Reply With Quote




Last Updated on March 9, 2013


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts