NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Topsteptrader 20-day Custom Combine: Ataraxia


Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
    1. trending_up 1,832 views
    2. thumb_up 3 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 2 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
 pepiolas 
Santiago, Chile
 
Experience: None
Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Posts: 4 since Feb 2012
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 8

Hi,
this is a little intro:
I started trading my 20- day personalized 150k Combine three days ago. The target for my combine is 14k in 20 days, with just a profit objective, but I canīt lose more than 3k/day or 4.5k in drawdown. I will be posting every day from now.

At this moment I am down $300 dollars, since I am combining my strategy which only focuses on the /ES and the /NQ and a famous trading room I joined. Trading the room has been a bad idea as I have lost about 1300 Dollars trading their calls. I have joined 70% of the rooms out there and I can say, none have worked. Thatīs just a heads-up for newer traders.

My strategy is based on identifying the indexes leaders and looking for direction in them and also tracking buy/sell programs through the $EPREM. I have been trading for 8 years now and my only real success has come from trading options and some statistical arbitrage, as I know when I have an edge there. In 2012 I made more than 400k trading futures for a fund; however, that success quickly fizzled, as the Euro Crises faded (in my opinion temporarily) and markets lost volatility. I started in Topstep because itīs much better than trading a fund, as it is more strict for risk-taking, but one get up to 80% of the profits. I would get paid 20% in the fund.
Good thing is that I knew it would happen as my strategies were very basic (reading tape through delta to confirm technical indicators + patterns) and I quickly reduced size.
What is my edge today? (question every trader should ask). I have tried everything, no kidding. I know how to read the tape(delta), know about volume analysis, all tech indicators and patterns, candlesticks, statistical arbitrage, etc. I have tested everything back and forward and these, sorry, but will not give any trader an edge. Expectancy ends up being zero, so I believe if one wants to become a trader that makes any kind of income, one has to find an edge. One only has an edge when he/she does not anyone to know how that edge maybe executed.

1. Being able to quantitatively measure leaders in each index.

2. Understand buy/sell programs.

3. Only explode times during the day were historical volatility is rising.

My flaws:

I am a horrible trader. Seriously, after 8 years, I cannot control my emotions. In 2012, I had no emotions to control since my strategy was a daily winner and when one is up a few hundred k, itīs easier but in 2013, just like in 2009, I realized I cannot trade well. I may be able to make the combine because my system is fairly mechanical but thatīs it.

Thanks.


Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
EA
Platforms and Indicators
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
  #3 (permalink)
 pepiolas 
Santiago, Chile
 
Experience: None
Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Posts: 4 since Feb 2012
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 8


Hi traders,

Yesterday was a bad day to trade for me. My models are making TOS run out of memory, but I traded anyways. I just simplified the code of the models. The result was bad: -250.

My TOS was blocked in the early 9.30 E.T rally and after seeing the rally and knowing that it was FOMC 1st day, I just knew I should not trade. However, as I posted, I am not a very disciplined trader, so I traded with a completely new model and after the only big move there was. Horrible conditions, but I still managed to make about 550 but commissions ate all up and a bit more to -250.

At around 10ish, locals in the S&P pit started getting short. I also saw some sell programs hitting and shorted for a few NQ points. After that, I panicked/ angered seeing that the day was slow and I could not reach the target so I started taking big size as soon as programs hit the market and I was profitable in most o them but they were small programs that did not move the market significantly so commissions ate me up.

Problems: 1. Overtraded.
2. Knew that signals were not good to move markets but still looked for a runner.
3. Biggest problem was to trade a simplified model and trade after the main move happened.

Any positives?

I did hit about 80% winners since I was really focused.


Started this thread Reply With Quote




Last Updated on September 18, 2013


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts