NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





basic black scholes question


Discussion in Options

Updated
    1. trending_up 1,820 views
    2. thumb_up 0 thanks given
    3. group 2 followers
    1. forum 2 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
 mcteague 
New York NY USA
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: esignal, thinkorswim,
Trading: Stocks
Posts: 122 since Oct 2012
Thanks Given: 63
Thanks Received: 35

I am quite new to options, so this is certainly quite a basic question.
In a spreadsheet I have for Black-Scholes, along with other things I have to enter values for "Volatility" and "risk-free rate".
What am I supposed to use for those values? Is there some "volatility" indicator that I am supposed to copy from. What would my rate be?

Thanks in advance for any answers.


Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
EA
Platforms and Indicators
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
  #3 (permalink)
 
mattz's Avatar
 mattz   is a Vendor
 
Posts: 2,494 since Sep 2010
Thanks Given: 2,442
Thanks Received: 3,801



mcteague View Post
I am quite new to options, so this is certainly quite a basic question.
In a spreadsheet I have for Black-Scholes, along with other things I have to enter values for "Volatility" and "risk-free rate".
What am I supposed to use for those values? Is there some "volatility" indicator that I am supposed to copy from. What would my rate be?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Volatility is for the underlying asset you are trading, so you cant just plug any number.
You have to know the volatility which is measured in %

The "risk-free rate" in each country is different, but I believe in the US it's the three-month U.S. Treasury bill.

Hope this helps.

Matt


Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Follow me on X Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote




Last Updated on March 31, 2014


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts