NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Exchange Listed Spread Data


Discussion in Brokers

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Corvus with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 3 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 1 posts (2 thanks)
    1. trending_up 3,189 views
    2. thumb_up 6 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 8 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
Corvus
Kansas City, Kansas USA
 
Posts: 3 since May 2015
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 0

Does anyone know of a data provider that provides downloadable end of day data for the exchange listed spreads?

I have spent some time trying to identify a source, but I have had no luck. Currently we are using CSI data and performing mathematical calculations on the underlying data, but I am very curious to see the difference between the mathematical synthetic and the actual Exchange Traded data.

My thanks in advance.
-Corvus


Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
  #3 (permalink)
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor
 
Posts: 3,740 since Jul 2012
Thanks Given: 1,918
Thanks Received: 7,489



Corvus View Post
Does anyone know of a data provider that provides downloadable end of day data for the exchange listed spreads?

I have spent some time trying to identify a source, but I have had no luck. Currently we are using CSI data and performing mathematical calculations on the underlying data, but I am very curious to see the difference between the mathematical synthetic and the actual Exchange Traded data.

My thanks in advance.
-Corvus

I am pretty sure that using settlement prices of individual contracts and then running the proper calculation, and comparing it to the exchange spread settlement price, will always be the same.

Whenever I have backtested spreads, I always used the settlement prices of the individual contracts, and just performed the math myself. It has always been accurate.

Of course, as you probably know, you can only do the math with settlement prices. Open, high and low can NOT be used accurately.


Follow me on X Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #4 (permalink)
Corvus
Kansas City, Kansas USA
 
Posts: 3 since May 2015
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 0

I agree, I cannot ever recall finding an end of day price discrepancy either (that said we are only looking at Calendar Spreads- never at the inters)

It it the OHLC and V that really interests me. I am really surprised that the data is not more available considering the added data will provide to quantified strategies.

Cheers!
-Corvus


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor
 
Posts: 3,740 since Jul 2012
Thanks Given: 1,918
Thanks Received: 7,489


Corvus View Post
I agree, I cannot ever recall finding an end of day price discrepancy either (that said we are only looking at Calendar Spreads- never at the inters)

It it the OHLC and V that really interests me. I am really surprised that the data is not more available considering the added data will provide to quantified strategies.

Cheers!
-Corvus

I agree. Having OHLC exchange spread data would be great! I hope you find a source.

(Tradestation has told me that they plan to offer it - meaning it can be tested, etc - sometime in the near future. I'm not holding my breath).


Follow me on X Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)
Corvus
Kansas City, Kansas USA
 
Posts: 3 since May 2015
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 0

I will let you know if I make any progress. i suspect we are going to have to create a tool that will grab the data from one of our data providers, but that is really a last resort.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)
 
Hulk's Avatar
 Hulk 
Texas, USA
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT, Custom
Trading: Futures, Spreads
Posts: 399 since May 2014
Thanks Given: 758
Thanks Received: 952


Corvus View Post
Does anyone know of a data provider that provides downloadable end of day data for the exchange listed spreads?

I have spent some time trying to identify a source, but I have had no luck. Currently we are using CSI data and performing mathematical calculations on the underlying data, but I am very curious to see the difference between the mathematical synthetic and the actual Exchange Traded data.

My thanks in advance.
-Corvus

DTN IQ Feed has all the exchange traded spreads data, intraday tick data as well as any timeframe.


Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #8 (permalink)
 
SMCJB's Avatar
 SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT Stellar & Tradestation
Broker: Primarily Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals, U308 and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Posts: 5,247 since Dec 2013
Thanks Given: 4,591
Thanks Received: 10,544


kevinkdog View Post
I am pretty sure that using settlement prices of individual contracts and then running the proper calculation, and comparing it to the exchange spread settlement price, will always be the same.

Hmmmmm..... While Kevin's statement is correct for many (most?) situations I will offer a word of warning by saying that it is not uncommon for CL settlements to reflect spread prices that were unobtainable in real trading once you get out of the prompt few months.


Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #9 (permalink)
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor
 
Posts: 3,740 since Jul 2012
Thanks Given: 1,918
Thanks Received: 7,489


SMCJB View Post
Hmmmmm..... While Kevin's statement is correct for many (most?) situations I will offer a word of warning by saying that it is not uncommon for CL settlements to reflect spread prices that were unobtainable in real trading once you get out of the prompt few months.

VERY good point. You may not be able to trade at the settlement prices, especially as you go to lower volume contracts. I try to account for this with healthy slippage estimates when I am designing a system. Then, even if I don't get the settlement spread price, I should still be OK.


Follow me on X Reply With Quote
Thanked by:




Last Updated on June 4, 2015


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts