NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

How is it to be profitable?

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Kwisatz with 7 posts (4 thanks)
    2. looks_two MacroNinja with 3 posts (6 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Scalpingtrader with 3 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 a8d7e8 with 2 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Itchymoku with 8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Scalpingtrader with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 MacroNinja with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Kwisatz with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 6,161 views
    2. thumb_up 29 thanks given
    3. group 11 followers
    1. forum 23 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread
 a8d7e8 
Hong Kong China

Experience: None
Platform: NT
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 0

Scalpingtrader View Post
Excel - It's just a bunch of formulas and their diagram function...

cool!!!!!

Maybe I'm not leaving, maybe I'm going home

alejo 
madrid spain

Experience: Beginner
Platform: nt
Trading: None.
Thanks Given: 16,557
Thanks Received: 646

Scalpingtrader View Post
It is important to again and again remind yourself of what can in terms of losing streaks, drawdown etc. etc.
Below something I built myself for that - I went ahead and adjusted it to your [target] metrics

50% winrate
1,6 profit factor
50$ stoploss per trade

see for yourself, if you have any questions on particular fields, feel free to ask!

P.S.: the probability of 7 losses in a row is .5^7 which is still ~ 1%, so even if you hadn't deviated from your plan (which I assume is playing a role in your streak as well) you still have a 1% chance of hitting that drawdown. For one event, 1% sounds small - but for an infinite number of events (assuming you don't stop trading suddenly) it becomes inevitable.

So know what can happen, decide how much "down" in % of your account you can stand IF it happens and start building your risk from there. In below example, if you might not want to lose more than 30% of your account in any given drawdown, you'd need approx. 3k for trading a 50$ stoploss.

Hope this helps...
ST

hi, could you share this ?
i want to calculate for the combine with max dd 4k5 diferent scenarios to test the size i need to use
thanks

La lucha es de igual a igual contra uno mismo
The fight is fair against oneself
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
sledmt
Kalispell montana

Thanks Given: 157
Thanks Received: 23

Kwisatz View Post
I understand what you say.

But I didn't increase my risk because I was loosing money. I increased because I have to increase it every 2 weeks in order to get closer of my goal.

Increasing risk is totally independent of the performance and it has to be. When I started the week with the new risk I didn't know I'm gonna take a drawdown. The reason of my failure is I was scary that my system doesn't work anymore and not really the money.

This is an interesting idea.

sledmt
Kalispell montana

Thanks Given: 157
Thanks Received: 23

Darthtrader4beta View Post
Increasing your size after loses is exactly opposite of what the Kelly Criterion tells us to do.
I think that is a pretty typical mistake because cutting size after loses is not intuitive, feels wrong but it is absolutely correct.

This seem like a odd thing to do.

Last Updated on July 21, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Sitemap - Downloads - Top
no new posts