NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Practical Mechanics of Shorting Stock in TOS?


Discussion in ThinkOrSwim

Updated
    1. trending_up 3,043 views
    2. thumb_up 0 thanks given
    3. group 1 followers
    1. forum 3 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
raffles
Erie, PA
 
Posts: 4 since Aug 2015
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

I would like to see a tutorial and/or a demonstration of an actual executed short trade in TOS, preferably a paper-trade with a tied trailing-stop. I've been searching for the above, but all the video demonstrations I've seen either cover the very basic concept, which I'm already passably familiar with, or go off on options tangents and other things I'm not interested in at the moment. I just want to see a simple stock short-sell order with a linked trailing stop. Any assistance would be appreciated, thank you kindly.


Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
EA
Platforms and Indicators
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
  #2 (permalink)
raffles
Erie, PA
 
Posts: 4 since Aug 2015
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

*bump*


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)
 
Big Mike's Avatar
 Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader
 R.I.P. 1977-2026 
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Posts: 50,669 since Jun 2009
Thanks Given: 33,669
Thanks Received: 102,590


Are you asking how to short with TOS?

Mike




We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on X Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)
raffles
Erie, PA
 
Posts: 4 since Aug 2015
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0


Big Mike View Post
Are you asking how to short with TOS?

Mike


Yes, but I figured it out; it's deceptively simple. However, nothing I attempt to short on paper-trading seems to be available to borrow, and I've tried using some very common, large-volume stocks. I'm wondering if TOS allows short selling in papertrade mode at all.


Reply With Quote




Last Updated on August 21, 2015


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts