NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





"bad" broker/vps!?


Discussion in Brokers

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one sam028 with 1 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two bsternfeld with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 TheTradeSlinger with 1 posts (1 thanks)
    1. trending_up 2,034 views
    2. thumb_up 2 thanks given
    3. group 2 followers
    1. forum 3 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
 bsternfeld 
Schwyz, SZ, Switzerland
 
Experience: Beginner
Platform: NT7, NT8
Trading: ES, GC, CL, 6E, Forex
Posts: 5 since Oct 2013
Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 1

What qualifies a “bad” broker/vps combination? After 9 years of FX trading I would like to be educated. I have a vps with winserver 2012 with latency under 1ms with my broker. I am testing an EA at the moment and the vendor claims that I don’t meet his numbers due to a “bad” broker/vps combination. Decisive for me always was the quality of the data feed and the rest is up to MT4 and the EA. Please correct my line of reasoning/thinking.


Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
EA
Platforms and Indicators
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
  #3 (permalink)
 
TheTradeSlinger's Avatar
 TheTradeSlinger 
Huntington WV
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: TradeStation
Trading: ES, CL
Posts: 483 since Jun 2015
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 682



bsternfeld View Post
What qualifies a “bad” broker/vps combination? After 9 years of FX trading I would like to be educated. I have a vps with winserver 2012 with latency under 1ms with my broker. I am testing an EA at the moment and the vendor claims that I don’t meet his numbers due to a “bad” broker/vps combination. Decisive for me always was the quality of the data feed and the rest is up to MT4 and the EA. Please correct my line of reasoning/thinking.

Buying a system, that's the problem.


Follow me on X Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #4 (permalink)
 
sam028's Avatar
 sam028 
Site Administrator
 
Posts: 3,775 since Jun 2009
Thanks Given: 3,837
Thanks Received: 4,703


bsternfeld View Post
What qualifies a “bad” broker/vps combination? After 9 years of FX trading I would like to be educated. I have a vps with winserver 2012 with latency under 1ms with my broker. I am testing an EA at the moment and the vendor claims that I don’t meet his numbers due to a “bad” broker/vps combination. Decisive for me always was the quality of the data feed and the rest is up to MT4 and the EA. Please correct my line of reasoning/thinking.

You should write a smal EA which is simply sending a limit order far from the current price (to not being filled), cancel it when it's acknowledged by the broker, and measure the time spent between the two.
That will give you a realistic latency to your broker.

The 1 ms you mention might be only the network latency itself, not the "order in the brokers/exchange book" latency which is higher (10 to 1000 higher depending on the broker's back-office procedure).
I won't say it's the problem here but at least you'll have real number to give to your EA vendor, like "order sent and cancelled in 8 ms".


Success requires no deodorant! (Sun Tzu)
Reply With Quote
Thanked by:




Last Updated on November 2, 2015


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts