NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Electronic Trading Questions


Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two putncall with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 sam028 with 1 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 TradingTech with 1 posts (2 thanks)
    1. trending_up 2,476 views
    2. thumb_up 4 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 3 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
putncall
Raleigh nc/usa
 
Posts: 6 since Jan 2017
Thanks Given: 14
Thanks Received: 1

Hey there,

Back when I was trading decades ago, 2.5 to be exact, I used the phone to call in trades and wait for a callback on a fill plus slippage. Now that I'm trading again, I'm using a simulated delayed account to hone my skills.

If I put in a market order, I get a fill instantly. If this were a real time trade would it be as quick? In a fast market, I assume slippage would still apply, but in a normal trading market is it really that fast?

I'm trading grains, meats, softs.


Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
EA
Platforms and Indicators
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
Is Volume Profile worth learning or is it an outdated co …
1 thanks
  #3 (permalink)
 
sam028's Avatar
 sam028 
Site Administrator
 
Posts: 3,775 since Jun 2009
Thanks Given: 3,837
Thanks Received: 4,703



putncall View Post
Hey there,

Back when I was trading decades ago, 2.5 to be exact, I used the phone to call in trades and wait for a callback on a fill plus slippage. Now that I'm trading again, I'm using a simulated delayed account to hone my skills.

If I put in a market order, I get a fill instantly. If this were a real time trade would it be as quick? In a fast market, I assume slippage would still apply, but in a normal trading market is it really that fast?

I'm trading grains, meats, softs.

Depending on your simulation platform the slippage would be very realistic or less realistic but the "fill instantly" is what you'll get for a market order with a live trade. The speed will depends on your location and your broker but in the worst cases it should be below 0.5 seconds.


Success requires no deodorant! (Sun Tzu)
Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #4 (permalink)
 
TradingTech's Avatar
 TradingTech 
Chicago, IL
 
Experience: Master
Platform: X_TRADER, TT
Trading: ES, NQ, ZN, CL, 6E
Posts: 167 since Feb 2016
Thanks Given: 72
Thanks Received: 122

Hello putncall. Yes, any modern simulated environment will give you near instantaneous fills on market order if there is a market there to hit. The same goes for production trading.

With production trading, the broker shouldn't come into play at all as you likely have DMA (direct market access) so your order doesn't flow through the broker. You're submitting orders direct to the exchange using order routing credentials supplied by the broker.


If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread
Follow me on X Reply With Quote
Thanked by:




Last Updated on January 25, 2017


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts