NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Stop Orders for Entry - Where Are They Held?


Discussion in Brokers

Updated
    1. trending_up 1,949 views
    2. thumb_up 1 thanks given
    3. group 1 followers
    1. forum 2 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
 samsupertrader 
Australia
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: CTS/AMP
Trading: NQ, CL, HSI
Posts: 37 since Oct 2014
Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 31

Hi All,

A question with regards to Stop Orders for Entry. The context for this question is for CL and CQG Route (AMP Futures), although I suspect the answer may be relevant to other contracts and possibly data feed/routes.

I have mostly traded with limit orders and occasionally market orders.

I have started using Stop Orders for entry a tick above/below a signal bar. I sometimes get slippage on entry and I understand why as when the price is hit it enters as a market order, therefore it will get the best possible price.

I live overseas from the exchange and am around 250ms ping.

My question
1. Am I correct in assuming stop orders for exiting a trade are held at CQG exchange co-located servers (i.e. on their servers, not in the actual order book)?
2. What about stop orders for entry? Are they held on my computer or on the CQG servers at the exchange?

I am wondering whether I may be getting a bit stiffed occasionally if the stop entry orders are held on my computer and I am lagging the market due to my proximity.

Thanks for input.


Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
EA
Platforms and Indicators
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
  #3 (permalink)
 
xplorer's Avatar
 xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator
 
Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Posts: 6,339 since Sep 2015
Thanks Given: 16,037
Thanks Received: 16,239



samsupertrader View Post
Hi All,

A question with regards to Stop Orders for Entry. The context for this question is for CL and CQG Route (AMP Futures), although I suspect the answer may be relevant to other contracts and possibly data feed/routes.

I have mostly traded with limit orders and occasionally market orders.

I have started using Stop Orders for entry a tick above/below a signal bar. I sometimes get slippage on entry and I understand why as when the price is hit it enters as a market order, therefore it will get the best possible price.

I live overseas from the exchange and am around 250ms ping.

My question
1. Am I correct in assuming stop orders for exiting a trade are held at CQG exchange co-located servers (i.e. on their servers, not in the actual order book)?
2. What about stop orders for entry? Are they held on my computer or on the CQG servers at the exchange?

I am wondering whether I may be getting a bit stiffed occasionally if the stop entry orders are held on my computer and I am lagging the market due to my proximity.

Thanks for input.

My understanding is that stop orders are held on CQG infrastructure (when using CQG of course). Limit orders are sent to the exchange. Stop aren't, until they are triggered.


Reply With Quote
Thanked by:




Last Updated on July 6, 2017


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts