NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

PC-SPAN

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Dudetooth with 218 posts (213 thanks)
    2. looks_two ron99 with 116 posts (55 thanks)
    3. looks_3 CafeGrande with 30 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 BlueRoo with 24 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Dudetooth with 1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 ron99 with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 BlueRoo with 0.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 221,663 views
    2. thumb_up 317 thanks given
    3. group 75 followers
    1. forum 610 posts
    2. attach_file 159 attachments

Search this Thread
 jokertrader 
NYC, NY

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra, TT
Broker: N/A
Trading: Spread Researcher and crypto degen
Thanks Given: 545
Thanks Received: 360

That would be awesome will pm u u have been an inspiration to so many here and thank you for that

Sent from my iPhone using NexusFi mobile app

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 Dudetooth 
Steubenville Ohio

Platform: OX, OEC, RJO
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 30
Thanks Received: 274

jokertrader View Post
Sorry for a slight off topic question. Trying to get historic settlement or end of day data for exchange traded crude calendar spreads say for at least 4 years. can I do that somewhere somehow? I have sierra and cqg I can load individual individual months for past data one by one, use the spreadsheet study then export and then calculate the spread but is there a better way? So as example I can load June 2015 symbol ad then Dec 2015 then extract and calculate the difference but any ready way to get data readily for the 6 month exchange spread from CME?

In the sub GetIM_ROI change the portion of your code as such (hides If clsOpt.OptType and End If lines):

'*********** Spread Calculations
If calcType = 3 Then
' If clsOpt.OptType <> " " Then '##### mod 2.3
dicFut(i)("SprdValue") = dicFut(i)("SprdValue") + clsOpt.PosValue
' End If
dicFut(i)("SprdPrice") = dicFut(i)("SprdPrice") + clsOpt.PosPrice
dicFut(i)("SprdNumber") = dicFut(i)("SprdNumber") + Abs(iPos)
dicFut(i)("SprdDelta") = dicFut(i)("SprdDelta") + clsOpt.PosDelta
If iArrPos = totOpt Then
dicFut(i)("SprdNet") = dicFut(i)("SprdValue") - (dicFut(i)("SprdNumber") * dFees)
End If
End If

It looks to calculate the values and margin, but I haven't done thorough tests. Then you could do a Historic Track.

Update: margin seems to be off because of the way margin is calculated for calendar spreads.

Thanked by:
peternguyen
Ho Chi Minh City

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 0

Hi everyone,
I'm new to Future Option selling. I have been reading the book by James Cordier The Complete Guide to Option Selling.
I have tried 4 trades and sadly 3 go in the money and I sustain heavy losses.
The problem is I'm using Saxo Capital and I don't know if they charge SPAN margin or not. But if I want to sell option Too far out of the money, my premium is very little, below $50 for a 3 month trade with margin requirement of $1350 in the case of Brent Crude for example. I have to go close to the current price in order to earn enough margin (my aim is 10% Premium on Margin for a 3-4 month contract and usually the market can easily move against me.

Their margin requirement for Option on Future is usually 50% of the margin on Future Contract. For example Brent Crude Future Option margin is $1350 overnight, E-mini S&P is $2250, Wheat is $475.

Can you tell me if they are chargin SPAN margin? Which brokers can you recommend that charge SPAN margin? How much should SPAN Margin be for a Brent Crude short put?

In doubt and seriously need help.
Thanks

Dudetooth 
Steubenville Ohio

peternguyen View Post
Can you tell me if they are chargin SPAN margin? Which brokers can you recommend that charge SPAN margin? How much should SPAN Margin be for a Brent Crude short put?

If you give us a contract and strike you are talking about we should be able to give you what the SPAN margin should be.

Thanked by:
peternguyen
Ho Chi Minh City

Dudetooth View Post
If you give us a contract and strike you are talking about we should be able to give you what the SPAN margin should be.

For example this is from SaxoCapital:
E-mini S&P 500 Put March 2018 (91 days) Strike 2000: the margin is $2250, Premium is only $87.50
Henry Hub Natural Gas Call March 2018 (70 days) Strike 4000: the margin is $1100, Premium is $140

They charge a fixed margin, usually 50% of Future margin, which is a preset amount. The margin doesn't depend on the Strike or how far the contract is.

Thanks

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Experience: Advanced
Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

peternguyen View Post
E-mini S&P 500 Put March 2018 (91 days) Strike 2000: the margin is $2250, Premium is only $87.50
Henry Hub Natural Gas Call March 2018 (70 days) Strike 4000: the margin is $1100, Premium is $140

They charge a fixed margin, usually 50% of Future margin, which is a preset amount. The margin doesn't depend on the Strike or how far the contract is.

Thanks

This is first time I have ever heard of margin for options being fixed amount from futures margin and strike and month don't matter. Are you sure? If so then find another place to trade.

I also suggest your read these threads to learn more about selling options

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Dudetooth 
Steubenville Ohio

peternguyen View Post

Thanks

Calculated SPAN margin as of the 14th of Dec risk files
ESH8 P2000 = $282
NGH8 C4 = $308

Thanked by:
peternguyen
Ho Chi Minh City

Dudetooth View Post
As of the 14th of Dec
ESH8 P2000 = $282
NGH8 C4 = $308

Superb. Can you please tell me which broker you are using? Are they based in US?

Dudetooth 
Steubenville Ohio

peternguyen View Post
Superb. Can you please tell me which broker you are using? Are they based in US?

RJO Futures, based in US. They apparently accept non-US customers, but I'm not sure what countries they will work with.
https://rjofutures.rjobrien.com/open-futures-account/

Thanked by:
peternguyen
Ho Chi Minh City

Thank you. I'm Australian citizen so probably can.
Any other broker do you recommend? I will try the other if RJObrien doesn't accept me.
What trading platform do you use? is it user friendly?

Last Updated on September 23, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts