NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Price is higher than Ask


Discussion in Stocks and ETFs

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one xplorer with 3 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 musickbc with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 2,971 views
    2. thumb_up 3 thanks given
    3. group 0 followers
    1. forum 6 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
 musickbc 
New Braunfels
 
Experience: Beginner
Platform: WindoTrader
Trading: Emini
Posts: 6 since Jan 2018
Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 1

So, I thought I understood the concept of the bid/ask spread, but I am wondering why the price ($48.44) is higher than the Ask ($48.42 x 4100). Perhaps the Price and the spread are not necessarily related? I know this is a pretty simple question, but I cannot seem to find anything online beyond a 'Basic' explanation of the spread. TIA



BC


Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
EA
Platforms and Indicators
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
  #3 (permalink)
 
xplorer's Avatar
 xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator
 
Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Posts: 6,339 since Sep 2015
Thanks Given: 16,037
Thanks Received: 16,239



musickbc View Post
So, I thought I understood the concept of the bid/ask spread, but I am wondering why the price ($48.44) is higher than the Ask ($48.42 x 4100). Perhaps the Price and the spread are not necessarily related? I know this is a pretty simple question, but I cannot seem to find anything online beyond a 'Basic' explanation of the spread. TIA

BC

What's the webpage displaying this, can you post a link?


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor
 
Posts: 3,740 since Jul 2012
Thanks Given: 1,918
Thanks Received: 7,489

48.44 is the last price traded, has nothing to do with current bid/ask.


Follow me on X Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)
 
xplorer's Avatar
 xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator
 
Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Posts: 6,339 since Sep 2015
Thanks Given: 16,037
Thanks Received: 16,239


kevinkdog View Post
48.44 is the last price traded, has nothing to do with current bid/ask.

Hi Kevin, can you elaborate?


Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #6 (permalink)
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor
 
Posts: 3,740 since Jul 2012
Thanks Given: 1,918
Thanks Received: 7,489


xplorer View Post
Hi Kevin, can you elaborate?

Somebody bought at 48.44. That is the last price traded. Who knows when it actually occurred.

Right now, though, if you want to sell, you'd only get 48.41, and if you want to buy, you'd pay 4842.

In other words, the market has moved since the last trade.


Follow me on X Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #7 (permalink)
 
xplorer's Avatar
 xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator
 
Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Posts: 6,339 since Sep 2015
Thanks Given: 16,037
Thanks Received: 16,239


kevinkdog View Post
Somebody bought at 48.44. That is the last price traded. Who knows when it actually occurred.

Right now, though, if you want to sell, you'd only get 48.41, and if you want to buy, you'd pay 4842.

In other words, the market has moved since the last trade.

Okay, thanks, that's how I thought then.

When you mentioned last price has nothing to do with bid/ask I thought I was missing something, but really what we're saying is that if we're buying or selling we expect to do so within the current bid/ask, in other words it works like in the futures (last time I watched a L2 stock was 2014 I think).

Depending on the stock's liquidity/frequency of trades, the last price traded may no longer be in sync with the bid/ask which in the meantime has moved.

Confusion cleared


Reply With Quote
Thanked by:




Last Updated on January 5, 2018


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts