NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Incorporating stop losses into excel backtesting


Discussion in Commodities

Updated
    1. trending_up 2,608 views
    2. thumb_up 0 thanks given
    3. group 2 followers
    1. forum 4 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
shipop
Arlington, TX
 
Posts: 7 since Nov 2019
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

I've been backtesting my strategies on Excel and I'm trying to find a way to incorporate stop losses into all of my strategies. Is there a way to do this on Excel?


Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
EA
Platforms and Indicators
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
Is Volume Profile worth learning or is it an outdated co …
1 thanks
  #3 (permalink)
userque
Chicago IL
 
Posts: 180 since Apr 2016
Thanks Given: 573
Thanks Received: 130



shipop View Post
I've been backtesting my strategies on Excel and I'm trying to find a way to incorporate stop losses into all of my strategies. Is there a way to do this on Excel?

It depends.

What type of data are you using? Daily OHLC? Five minute bars? Something else?


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)
shipop
Arlington, TX
 
Posts: 7 since Nov 2019
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

I've been using OHLC data on a daily chart. Been thinking about incorporating four hour charts as well (if that's even possible). I want to be able to do this for five years of data if possible.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)
userque
Chicago IL
 
Posts: 180 since Apr 2016
Thanks Given: 573
Thanks Received: 130


shipop View Post
I've been using OHLC data on a daily chart. Been thinking about incorporating four hour charts as well (if that's even possible). I want to be able to do this for five years of data if possible.

I assumed you'd be using profit targets and/or adjusting your stop level intraday (trailing stop, for example). If so, you'd have the following problem:

The larger your time slice (24 hours, in your case), the less reliable your results will be. For example, imagine a daily OHLC bar consisting of the respective values: 100, 110, 90, 100. You are long. You had a stop in place at 95, and a profit target in place at 105. Problem: which hit first, the stop, or the target?

However,

If you are only utilizing and testing the stop-loss, then I don't see a problem and this is very doable in Excel with daily bars.


Reply With Quote




Last Updated on January 15, 2020


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts