NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Capping Size in Tradestation


Discussion in TradeStation

Updated
    1. trending_up 3,360 views
    2. thumb_up 1 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 4 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
 
SBtrader82's Avatar
 SBtrader82   is a Vendor
 
Posts: 586 since Feb 2018
Thanks Given: 222
Thanks Received: 1,335

I am quite new to Tradestation, is there a way to cap the number of contracts that we buy/sell in one single order? or the number of open positions that we have?
I can do this easily in sierra, but I do not find something similar in Tradestation.

I am using tradestation to trade for TopStep Trader and in order to respect the scaling rules of phase 2, I would like the platform to prevent me to put on too much size.


Follow me on X Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
EA
Platforms and Indicators
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
Want your NinjaTrader indicator created, free?
1 thanks
Running trading strategies on a VPS
1 thanks
  #2 (permalink)
 
vmodus's Avatar
 vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA
Legendary Systematic Algo Trader
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Posts: 1,270 since Feb 2017
Thanks Given: 2,960
Thanks Received: 2,856


SamJames View Post
I am quite new to Tradestation, is there a way to cap the number of contracts that we buy/sell in one single order? or the number of open positions that we have?
I can do this easily in sierra, but I do not find something similar in Tradestation.

I am using tradestation to trade for TopStep Trader and in order to respect the scaling rules of phase 2, I would like the platform to prevent me to put on too much size.

Can you clarify if you are trading discretionary, or automated using strategies?


~vmodus

Enjoy everything!
Follow me on X Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)
 
SBtrader82's Avatar
 SBtrader82   is a Vendor
 
Posts: 586 since Feb 2018
Thanks Given: 222
Thanks Received: 1,335


I am trading discretionary, I used to trade with SierraChart and I could cap the quantity of contracts that I would trade per each symbol. In this way I could avoid breaking rules in the TST.


Follow me on X Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)
 
vmodus's Avatar
 vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA
Legendary Systematic Algo Trader
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Posts: 1,270 since Feb 2017
Thanks Given: 2,960
Thanks Received: 2,856


SamJames View Post
I am trading discretionary, I used to trade with SierraChart and I could cap the quantity of contracts that I would trade per each symbol. In this way I could avoid breaking rules in the TST.

Okay, so open the TradeManager, click Settings, then choose what you are trading (Futures, etc.), then set your order entry preferences. I think what you want is under 'Validations & Confirmations'. You may also want to check out the 'Trading' section, too.



I do not think it creates a hard cap, but forces you to acknowledge going over a specified amount. I hope this helps.


~vmodus

Enjoy everything!
Follow me on X Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #5 (permalink)
 
SBtrader82's Avatar
 SBtrader82   is a Vendor
 
Posts: 586 since Feb 2018
Thanks Given: 222
Thanks Received: 1,335

After trying Tradestation for one month I decided that the platform for me has no added value.The platform is slow, it get stucked at least 3 times per day and I was having a lot of warning for everything..... I hated it.
This is the second time I try this platform and I am always let down, maybe the problem is that for European clients the datafeed iis not so reliable.
Maybe it's good for swing traders, no idea really.


Follow me on X Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote




Last Updated on October 9, 2020


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts