NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Buying "X" Days ahead of FOMC?


Discussion in EasyLanguage Programming

Updated
    1. trending_up 3,360 views
    2. thumb_up 0 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 2 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
CreativelyChris
Los Angeles, CA
 
Posts: 13 since Sep 2021
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 0

I've got a list of FOMC dates in an array that I can reference. What I would like to do is backtest some strategies by buying "X" number of trading days before the FOMC date. The problem I run into is something like this most recent FOMC date of "1220615".

If I'm trying to buy 3 trading days prior, that would be the 10th (1220610), but adding 3 to the date doesn't work as the next dates go from "1220613" to "1220616" skipping "1220615".

I know this can be done as I've seen traders backtest this strategy.

Since TS/EL goes bar by bar, how can I get the Date of "X" bars (in this case 3) in the future?
Or is there a better way to handle this?

(FYI I'm still pretty new to EL programing)


Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
EA
Platforms and Indicators
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
  #2 (permalink)
 HiLatencyTRDR HLT 
Midway florida
 
Posts: 462 since Dec 2018

Maybe use hours continuous mkts break into bigger chunks or smaller chunks
Back testing for me is usually just visual.

Back testing has zero mkt impact....it is history

Just because Germany was defeated in WW2 doesn't mean it will be
Defeated in ww3.

Factors imo way beyond a trading chart at work along with your
Chart. If only trading was as linear as fomc did this so mkt did that

Imagine every trade giving

All my opinion yours is as good if not better than mine

If back testing consistently worked then no one would ever need to interpret news or chartsorbsupply n demand

Not discouraging you because lots to be learned with every test and also what is your hypothes


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)
 
SMCJB's Avatar
 SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT Stellar & Tradestation
Broker: Primarily Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals, U308 and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Posts: 5,247 since Dec 2013
Thanks Given: 4,591
Thanks Received: 10,544



CreativelyChris View Post
I've got a list of FOMC dates in an array that I can reference

How about changing the dates in the array so that they are 3 days before the FOMC rather than the FOMC itself?


Reply With Quote




Last Updated on July 19, 2022


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts