NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Beginning trading futures


Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
    1. trending_up 1,463 views
    2. thumb_up 2 thanks given
    3. group 2 followers
    1. forum 1 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
 OMWF 
Australia
 
Experience: Beginner
Platform: Tradingview, Amibroker
Trading: ASX
Posts: 64 since Apr 2018
Thanks Given: 60
Thanks Received: 29

Hi,

I'm a share trader, and for a while I've thought about moving to futures trading. I've trialled a few platforms, and have been reading threads here. I'm overwhlemed - it seems hundreds of times more complicated than share trading.

I have a simple system that I've backtested for HSI, but actually getting to the point of implementing it seems like a bridge too far. Have any of you felt like that? Getting the right broker and data feed, for example, seems like a huge task. Let alone setting up all the requirements for maintaining a safe trading environment.

I probably only understand half of what's being discussed on many of the threads here. I have a chart in front of me and I just want to trade it. I know my entries and exits, but it's all the extra stuff. I don't think I'm cut out for it. Is there anything wrong with setting up a CFD account to trade HSI?

Feeling quite dejected. Probably not smart enough to be a futures trader. Should I just pack it in, or maybe consider trading CFDs?


Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
  #2 (permalink)
 
blackgrey45's Avatar
 blackgrey45 
Maryland, US
Market Wizard
 
Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: AMP Global
Trading: MES
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Posts: 888 since Jul 2022
Thanks Given: 908
Thanks Received: 968

I think you are being too hard on yourself. I was overwhelmed with finding a broker at first also. What I did was find a platform I wanted like to trade on and went with the broker that offered my preferred platform. Once I started trading futures in a live account I made sure I just traded one contract on a micro product. I am constantly visiting and revisiting the futures exchange website to learn more about the products I am trading. It only took a couple of weeks of trading the micros to feel like I had a good grasp of the information like tick size, contract months, contract size, etc.


Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:




Last Updated on October 3, 2022


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts