NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





A Psychological Win Today


Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two Blz17 with 1 posts (10 thanks)
    3. looks_3 xplorer with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cory with 1 posts (2 thanks)
    1. trending_up 4,048 views
    2. thumb_up 12 thanks given
    3. group 2 followers
    1. forum 4 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
 Blz17 
Seattle
 
Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader Interactive Brokers
Trading: 6B
Posts: 225 since Jun 2009
Thanks Given: 135
Thanks Received: 270

I will be journaling later about how much of a moron I was today. Putting that aside I do believe I had a huge emotional win today. We are all far too aware of how difficult it is to trade without emotion. Today I missed some huge trades that were right up my alley. There is no excuse for missing these trades. However, rather then sitting at my screen with the finger on the trigger thinking "Okay I missed that first move let's make something happen here" I walked away. I went and took a shower and grabbed a cup of coffee. I figured after missing those big moves I was very prone to forcing trades and it was best to walk away.

It may not be money in the bank but it truly makes me feel like I am developing as a trader.

Blz


Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
EA
Platforms and Indicators
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
  #2 (permalink)
 
cory's Avatar
 cory 
virginia
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Posts: 6,099 since Jun 2009
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,098

it is symbolic money in the bank.


Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #3 (permalink)
 
Big Mike's Avatar
 Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader
 R.I.P. 1977-2026 
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Posts: 50,669 since Jun 2009
Thanks Given: 33,669
Thanks Received: 102,590



Blz17 View Post
I walked away. I went and took a shower and grabbed a cup of coffee. I figured after missing those big moves I was very prone to forcing trades and it was best to walk away.

Blz, fantastic decision Live to fight another day. There is always tomorrow, there is always a better day, a better trade, a better setup, a better signal.

There is no reason to overtrade and yet it is so incredibly difficult to not do it. You have won a major battle today.



Mike




We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on X Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)
 
andewky's Avatar
 andewky 
singapore
 
Experience: None
Platform: nj
Posts: 15 since Jul 2009
Thanks Given: 257
Thanks Received: 5

I share similar incidents and can't agree more how emotional we mortals when faced with them.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)
 
xplorer's Avatar
 xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator
 
Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Posts: 6,339 since Sep 2015
Thanks Given: 16,037
Thanks Received: 16,239

I too have found that whenever I force a trade I regret it.

Obviously - in hindsight - it is difficult to spot those forced trades. Some of them were perhaps forced but went my way anyway, so I'm sure a part of me will say 'well I made money on those so who's to say they were really forced?'

In the same way - in hindsight - is fairly easy to say 'that was a forced trade because it didn't work out'.

Maybe the real skill is to spot both winners and losers that were not forced, as well as losers and winners that were.


Reply With Quote




Last Updated on April 3, 2016


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts