NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Is it normal for AUX contracts to have more volumes two months out?

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Spottrader with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two tr8er with 2 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 2 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 josh with 1 posts (1 thanks)
    1. trending_up 308 views
    2. thumb_up 8 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 7 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread
 Spottrader 
springfield, US

I'm noticing the August micro in AUX has more considerably more volume and chart structure as opposed to the June's. Seems like the June's just dropped off a cliff in the past two days. Is this normal characterisitc towards the end of the month and beginning of next in all gold contracts?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to plot a custom icon for crossover
NinjaTrader
Elite Trader Funding, Avoid?
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Has anyone taken The Confident Trader course from aheadc …
Trading Reviews and Vendors
MC Advanced Simulated Trading.
MultiCharts
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
ApexTraderFunding.com experience and review
94 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
76 thanks
Winning attitudes create winning traders
39 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
32 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
28 thanks
 tr8er 
Europe
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TradeNavigator, BookMap
Trading: ES, CL, 6E, 6B
Thanks Given: 224
Thanks Received: 718

Spottrader View Post
I'm noticing the August micro in AUX has more considerably more volume and chart structure as opposed to the June's. Seems like the June's just dropped off a cliff in the past two days. Is this normal characterisitc towards the end of the month and beginning of next in all gold contracts?

Yes Gold-futures roll-over is each 2 month (there are some contracts between, but they are not for retail-traders) also nobody trades the Oct contract, so it will roll from Aug to Dec (don't ask me why, but this is a fact)

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,405
Thanks Received: 10,225

Silver & Copper have similar but different active contracts as well. With them its Jan-Mar-May-Jul-Sep-Dec although many jump straight from Dec to Mar and skip Jan.

Thanked by:
 Spottrader 
springfield, US

tr8er View Post
Yes Gold-futures roll-over is each 2 month (there are some contracts between, but they are not for retail-traders) also nobody trades the Oct contract, so it will roll from Aug to Dec (don't ask me why, but this is a fact)

Yeah, that is kinda weird. I don't even have the Dec contract in my platform yet...

Spottrader 
springfield, US

SMCJB View Post
Silver & Copper have similar but different active contracts as well. With them its Jan-Mar-May-Jul-Sep-Dec although many jump straight from Dec to Mar and skip Jan.

Thanks for the heads up. cheers

tr8er 
Europe
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TradeNavigator, BookMap
Trading: ES, CL, 6E, 6B
Thanks Given: 224
Thanks Received: 718

Spottrader View Post
Yeah, that is kinda weird. I don't even have the Dec contract in my platform yet...

there is no need, we (the retail traders) trade the front month, the Dec contract will be available in around 2 month

bookmark this page and go with the volume, here you can find a lot of information about all the different contracts https://www.cmegroup.com/markets/metals/precious/gold.quotes.html

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,405
Thanks Received: 10,225

Comex actually lists Gold Futures starting with Jun-2024 all the way out to Dec-2029 but very little has traded past Dec-2025. The Micro's are listed from Jun-2024 out through Jun-2026 but very little has traded past Dec-2024.

The actual contract listing schedule is
  • Prompt 3 contracts (so currently Jun, Jul & Aug)
  • Feb, Apr, Jun, Aug. Oct & Dec out 2 years
  • Jun & Dec out 5 years

Since we are past first notice day, the only people trading Jun-2024 are people with the physical, as you could trade today, get notified tomorrow that you are going to delivery and actually have to deliver the physical the day after that.

Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,868
Thanks Received: 18,494

Spottrader View Post

Would suggest you always know the contract schedule for whatever product you're trading. It can be found here:

https://www.cmegroup.com/markets/metals/precious/gold.contractSpecs.html

When in doubt, go to the "Quotes" page above and see where the volume is trading. (Edit: just saw someone above posted something similar, just repeating)

Thanked by:

Last Updated on June 3, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts