NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Live to Work vs Work to Live


Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one sixtyseven with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two artemiso with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tigertrader with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 kkfx with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 7,098 views
    2. thumb_up 10 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 10 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #11 (permalink)
 artemiso 
New York, NY
Vendor shill
 
Experience: Beginner
Platform: Vanguard 401k
Broker: Yahoo Finance
Trading: Mutual funds
Posts: 1,152 since Jul 2012
Thanks Given: 784
Thanks Received: 2,687

I wouldn't want to delve into a political or philosophical argument, as I see this going off-topic, but here are my thoughts.


tigertrader View Post
because they want to, and they have the right to

I see two uses of a gun:

1. To kill animals as a sport.
2. To kill people in self-defense.

As soon as I had gotten deep enough into physics, I realized that I could achieve (1) very effectively if I wanted to. I had a friend who assembled a fission reactor over 2 nights in his dorm room (he won the ISEF a year before that, on particle acceleration, so he had the appropriate knowledge, since the vacuum hardware is the most difficult part). All he needed to was to dial up a couple of parameters and he could decimate all of the animals in a 1 mile radius. Sporting - yes - but I think it's distasteful.

As for (2): I agree that people should be allowed to defend themselves. However, I disagree that they should be handed guns to do it, because guns aren't that effective weapons anyway (it's well-documented that people have been struck in the head and still continued to cause damage). A more effective weapon of self-defense would be a grenade launcher. So all guns should be banned and grenade launchers should be sold in lieu of guns. I'm serious.


tigertrader View Post
gee, i'm surprised you didn't include Israel, or is this just an indictment of hedonism?

Perhaps - I haven't thought too much about other sociopolitical issues.


tigertrader View Post
Yeah, I'm sure we can all relate - each $10 million is just a little smaller than then the last $10 million.

Actually, the first $10M comes much easier than the next $100M. Ask those around you who have made it above the $100M mark and I'll wager that they agree. In today's environment, it's fairly easy to achieve the first $10M by sheer chance.


Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
EA
Platforms and Indicators
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
Want your NinjaTrader indicator created, free?
1 thanks
Running trading strategies on a VPS
1 thanks




Last Updated on January 11, 2014


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts