NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Stop Size for ES


Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one elitetradernyc with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two fminus with 3 posts (6 thanks)
    3. looks_3 DrewDown with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 trendisyourfriend with 2 posts (1 thanks)
    1. trending_up 5,540 views
    2. thumb_up 8 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 13 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #11 (permalink)
DrewDown
Kansas City, MO U.S.
 
Posts: 211 since Mar 2015
Thanks Given: 301
Thanks Received: 122

I invariably use an 8 tick stop while trading the ES. It was difficult at first, frustrating, but I kept the rule and it forced me to rethink entries. I find that I do not get stopped out as much, now. Perhaps this would be a little tight for some, but I find that when I place my orders near the extremes of my bollinger bands, I do not often take any heat. So that also reinforces the use of the rather small stop, in that if I am placing a failed trade that goes 2 points against me when the price is already overextended by my reading of it, then I need to find a better entry, or walk away for a few minutes and think about what I'm really seeing.


Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
  #12 (permalink)
KSAguy
Bangkok, Thailand
 
Posts: 3 since Apr 2015
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 0


DrewDown View Post
.... near the extremes of my bollinger bands......



Can you share what settings you use?

KSAguy


Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)
DrewDown
Kansas City, MO U.S.
 
Posts: 211 since Mar 2015
Thanks Given: 301
Thanks Received: 122



KSAguy View Post
Can you share what settings you use?

KSAguy

2 standard deviations, 14 bar period. Stock setting in Ninja Trader.


Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)
 dstrunin 
New York City + New York/USA
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES
Posts: 19 since May 2014
Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 11

At most, I use a 6 period 2x ATR stop on the 5 minute chart.


Follow me on X Reply With Quote
Thanked by:




Last Updated on April 30, 2015


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts