NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading with Intuition

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one wavingman with 31 posts (58 thanks)
    2. looks_two ThemBones with 7 posts (8 thanks)
    3. looks_3 josh with 4 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 sevensa with 3 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one wavingman with 1.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 sevensa with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 ThemBones with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 3,630 views
    2. thumb_up 82 thanks given
    3. group 7 followers
    1. forum 46 posts
    2. attach_file 33 attachments

Search this Thread
 sevensa 
Singapore, Singapore

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart/IB, NT, TS
Trading: NQ, Weekly Options
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 50
Thanks Received: 88

wavingman View Post
2024-05-08
Like most of my days lately, I started with some breakeven performance, but then I found my sea legs and got to my target of $400. I would have continued, but unfortunately there is a "consistency rule" and I can only make a maximum of $500 on any given day.

The consistency rule is only for PA accounts and for that, one day's profit just cannot be more than 30% of your overall profit. So if you make around $400 - $500 for several days, this is unlike that one of them will put you over the 30% of the total profit.

In eval accounts, they don't care. You can make your profit target in 1 day and trade one micro contract in and out for the rest of the eval days, and you will still qualify. Right now, you can also qualify in one day if you want to swing for the fences.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC Advanced Simulated Trading.
MultiCharts
What You Know vs How much you know about it
Traders Hideout
Is there a way to simulate CONTINUOUS CONTRACT?
NinjaTrader
DOM newbie quesitons
The Elite Circle
Value Area Low (VAL) – Lowest Price Level of Profile V …
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
1 Minute Man
142 thanks
ApexTraderFunding.com experience and review
90 thanks
In futures why does price turn so hard against you
42 thanks
Learning to Trade with the Big Money
22 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

wavingman 
Venice, Italy

Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: Rithmic
Trading: MNQ
Thanks Given: 28
Thanks Received: 83

2024-05-09

Guess who just got funded!

I don't think they could make this certificate look more atrocious but I'll take it.

I managed to put up another good trading day. Once again zero emotional mistakes, even though I lost 4 trades in a row at one point. I also didn't fall in the trap of rushing things once I got closer to my profit goal. I kept trading like I always do and I even took a step back when I was $80 from passing the eval because I felt that I was getting anxious.

The stats are great for today, with an average PnL per contract of $27.69 which is above my expectations.

Here are the stats and equity line for the entire duration of the evaluation. It took me a total of 18 trading days to pass.

Going forward
Now that I'm funded, my goal is to not blow the account. I will keep posting in this journal because I noticed a lot of improvements with my mental game, the accountability really helps. I will go back to trading micros and I will start slow. I'm in no hurry to get to the first payout, my goal is to keep trading well and show consistency.

I also have that other eval account with topstep, which I want to pass as well since the commissions are so much better. I don't like trading two accounts and my focus will be on the apex account, but I'll manage.

This is a milestone for me, so thanks to everybody who posted in this thread and showed interest in my journey.

Cheers!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

ThemBones 
Chattanooga, TN

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader
Trading: Futures
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 345
Thanks Received: 91

wavingman View Post
2024-05-09

Guess who just got funded!

I don't think they could make this certificate look more atrocious but I'll take it.

I managed to put up another good trading day. Once again zero emotional mistakes, even though I lost 4 trades in a row at one point. I also didn't fall in the trap of rushing things once I got closer to my profit goal. I kept trading like I always do and I even took a step back when I was $80 from passing the eval because I felt that I was getting anxious.

The stats are great for today, with an average PnL per contract of $27.69 which is above my expectations.

Here are the stats and equity line for the entire duration of the evaluation. It took me a total of 18 trading days to pass.

Going forward
Now that I'm funded, my goal is to not blow the account. I will keep posting in this journal because I noticed a lot of improvements with my mental game, the accountability really helps. I will go back to trading micros and I will start slow. I'm in no hurry to get to the first payout, my goal is to keep trading well and show consistency.

I also have that other eval account with topstep, which I want to pass as well since the commissions are so much better. I don't like trading two accounts and my focus will be on the apex account, but I'll manage.

This is a milestone for me, so thanks to everybody who posted in this thread and showed interest in my journey.

Cheers!

Good job!

I suggest changing your goal. If you are afraid to blow up your account, you will blow-up your account. See 'Mark Douglas.' Your goal is and should be to execute flawlessly. The results will take care of themselves.

Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,832
Thanks Received: 18,390

ThemBones View Post
You are breaking your rules far too often to be trading with real money. Test your plan in a simulator until you can execute flawlessly. You are needlessly inflicting psychological damage on yourself.

ThemBones View Post
I suggest changing your goal. If you are afraid to blow up your account, you will blow-up your account. See 'Mark Douglas.' Your goal is and should be to execute flawlessly. The results will take care of themselves.

Bro, let the man cook

Thanked by:

ThemBones 
Chattanooga, TN

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader
Trading: Futures
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 345
Thanks Received: 91

josh View Post
Bro, let the man cook

You've inferred incorrectly. Nothing I have written was anything less than constructive advice. If I can help someone avoid an oncoming train, I will do so rather than letting them 'cook,' as you say. (Yes, I understand you don't mean fry/sauté/etc., rather I am interfering with the recipe.) If the author wishes it to stop, he will say so, and I will accommodate respectfully.

wavingman 
Venice, Italy

Calm down everybody

I welcome any type of criticism: good, bad, constructive, not constructive.

In the end I always make my own choices and follow my own plan, and I cook my own recipe.

When I say that my goal is to "not blow the account", I mean that I need to follow my risk management and not gamble everything in a few stupid trades. I am consistently profitable on demo, so there is no reason why It shouldn't be the same when trading live.

2024-05-10

I decided to take the edge off today and just trade a demo account. I will start working on the apex account on Monday.

I traded with a clip of 3 micros on the new topstepx platform to get myself familiar with it, I'm up $276 after 25 trades. Average PnL per contract is around $3.70.

One day I will be able to have this kind of performance on a live account as well.
Though now that I think about it, by then my demo performance will be even better, so I guess it will be a constant chase.

Thanked by:

wavingman 
Venice, Italy

2024-05-13

Today was probably the best trading day since I started posting here. I'm now trading the apex PA account and I'm up $43.84 trading 1 micro lot.

On the topstep evaluation I'm up around $80 trading with a clip size of 3 micros. At one point I was up $140, but I ended up giving some of it back.

My plans for the apex PA account
I know there can be some issues with psychology when moving from an evaluation to a funded account, so I decided to go very slowly at first. I will trade 1 micro lot with a daily goal of $40 or $50, which is around 20 points on the MNQ. If I'm positive at the end of the week, I will add one contract. If I do ok, in about 3 months I should be able to move to the NQ.

I'm in no rush to "get to the first payout" as many people online say. I don't want the rules of this PA account to affect the way I trade. I will trade as if this was an account I funded with my own money.

Thanked by:

wavingman 
Venice, Italy

2024-05-14

Apex PA account
PnL: -22.68 USD
I had to book a losing day, I kept having problems with the rithmic datafeed. Any time price would do something interesting it would start to lag behind by several seconds.
This problem happens every once in a while, and usually goes away after 10:00 when volume start to dry up a bit. The problem is that Powell was scheduled to speak at that time, and I didn't feel comfortable taking trades on the PA account.

So I decided to call it a day with a small loss, which is about half of my current daily target. I know I was at risk of making emotional mistakes due to frustration with the rithmic datafeed, so I'm happy with this decision. When this same problem happened two weeks ago I continued to trade and did nothing but lose money.

Here are the stats for the day:

Topstep combine
PnL: +149.72 USD
The topstep combine went a lot better. I have reached my daily target and I did so with some very convincing performance.
After trading in the apex PA account, it felt like I was on demo. I'm currently on a 3 micro lot clip size, but I might bump it up to 4 tomorrow.

Thanked by:

wavingman 
Venice, Italy

2024-05-15
Apex PA account
PnL: +34.82 USD
Another solid trading day. I was able to almost reach my daily target very quickly during the first 15 minutes from market open.
I could have opened another trade (my target is 40 USD) but my gut was telling me to stop. I know that if I take a losing trade when I'm almost at my daily target I'm at risk of making emotional mistakes, and in a few quick trades I go back to 0.

This is an irrational fear that I would try to eliminate by drastically reducing my size for that last trade and forcing myself to take it. The problem is that this week I'm trading just one micro so I'm already at the smallest possible size. I will work on this behavior once I start trading with a bigger clip.

The stats look good today, with an average PnL per contract of 3.87 USD.

Topstep combine
PnL: +183.36 USD
Today I increased my size from 3 micros to 4, and I had a nice winning day. I only had to trade 30 minutes.

It seems that having smaller, easily achievable daily targets is really helping my performance. It's now been several days without a single emotional fuck up, and this really shows in the statistics.

A note about the data lag that I experienced yesterday: today I tried switching from the European rithmic server to the Chicago one, and had absolutely zero problems. I hope this is a permanent solution.

Thanked by:

wavingman 
Venice, Italy

2024-05-16
Apex PA account
PnL: -34.76 USD
Today I gave back what I made yesterday unfortunately. We got a really choppy open on the MNQ and I struggled to find good trades. I wasn't doing too bad, I had adjusted my expectations to the low volatility environment instead of getting frustrated like I usually do when price is moving slower.

The problem is that I wasn't able to adjust to the sudden spike in volatility that happen sometime after 10:00, when price dropped fast. I was still in range mode, so I tried to fade that move two times and got run over.

No worries, I know that I usually struggle a bit in these market conditions. The important thing is that I managed to contain the losses and I stopped trading before making any stupid mistakes. I was pretty triggered after those two last losing trades, but I forced myself to close the platform and walk away.

Here are the stats for the day:

Topstep combine
PnL: 0 USD
I took a short break after the loss I took on the apex account, and then I came back to work on the topstep combine. I was up around 110 USD when I realized that I was trading on the practice account instead of the combine account.

Embarrassing.

Realizing that this was simply not my day, I went and bought myself some ice cream.

Last Updated on June 11, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts