NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

HumbleTrader's next chapter

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one HumbleTrader with 623 posts (1,316 thanks)
    2. looks_two 1 Minute Man with 9 posts (7 thanks)
    3. looks_3 richw with 8 posts (8 thanks)
    4. looks_4 tigertrader with 7 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 3.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Blue Eagle with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 HumbleTrader with 2.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tigertrader with 1.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 146,312 views
    2. thumb_up 1,455 thanks given
    3. group 43 followers
    1. forum 701 posts
    2. attach_file 329 attachments

Search this Thread

HumbleTrader 
Vancouver Canada
Legendary , Always learning

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: SierraChart
Broker: IB & CQG
Trading: Oh what a tangled web I weave, When I want to take profits in trading
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Years
Thanks Given: 3,565
Thanks Received: 3,165

Still not immune from dumb trading.

Stats were bearish for month end closing. Hence I shorted the market but unfortunately my timing was bad. While I was fiddling with my stop loss order around 60 pts area, YM just zoomed 300 points in 5 mins. That's more than yesterday's range! I'm not sure whether it's because of inflation numbers released an hour ago. Didn't make any sense but I'm not asking questions anymore. Since it felt very similar to erratic DAX move earlier, I concluded that it's likely to be month end related PA and hence I decided to wait for a pullback to get out. I was lucky to get out during a deep PB with lot less damage but still -130 pts is not fun.

Though I wanted to call it a day, I noticed big sizes selling the top and hence decided to bet on the shorts again. However, I got in at a much better price this time and reclaimed my earlier loss. Though I had to endure some MAE, I was not too worried as it was liquidity hunting to shake out weak shorts. In fact, it made me even more confidence of this mean reversion trade. I'm glad that it's not a revenge trade. Though I could have pushed my shorts aggressively, I realized that this sort of price action and environment with month end moves is not my strength and hence calling it a day. Be safe out there. Happy weekend.

y

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Radarscreen
TradeStation
How to plot a custom icon for crossover
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Brendt Skorupinsky
Trading Reviews and Vendors

HumbleTrader 
Vancouver Canada
Legendary , Always learning

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: SierraChart
Broker: IB & CQG
Trading: Oh what a tangled web I weave, When I want to take profits in trading
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Years
Thanks Given: 3,565
Thanks Received: 3,165

Weekly review.

Though my long term goal is to increase my daily risk tolerance to 2000 USD (and I was getting there), I noticed significant increase in vigilance when I shifted from MES to ES. I also struggled to scale in, which is 'the magic bullet' for long term success, in my humble opinion. Hence, I decided to focus on my execution for the last 2 weeks and went back to micros this week.

What have I achieved so far?

1. I'm no longer adding to my loser. This is huge for me. Massive really. Since I start with 1/4 size, it guarantees that my losers are going to be small compared to my winners.

2. Adding to winners, as soon as I get confirmation that my trade idea is working. i.e new swing high or low in my direction. My aim is to try and scale up max size before I consider taking partial profits.

3. Always, always focusing on 'I'm wrong' price level. I'm using hard stops almost 80% of the times now. It's 100% if I'm counter-trend, judged by EMA clouds. It lot less frequent if we are in a chop/range especially when I suspect liquidity hunting with low relative volume. Mental stop works better then.

4. Much less attention to targets or profits. I still think about key levels like Y-H or Y-L to scale out but usually they are quite far from my entry levels, often >70% daily ATR. Hence, it automatically forces me to think about the above 3 points first.

5. Finally, I'm hopeful when my position is in green and nervous when it's in red. I no longer pray for a V recovery when I'm in a losing trade.

I feel like my thinking has been 'flipped' the moment I started focusing a lot on managing my losers. I no longer look at my P&L intraday except when I'm in a losing position. This is to simply make sure that I'm only holding the micros, NOT mini or full size contract.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Last Updated on June 28, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Sitemap - Downloads - Top
no new posts