NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Nuclear Power Fanboys Take Note - Fuksushima on the Missouri River?

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Zondor with 22 posts (4 thanks)
    2. looks_two RM99 with 15 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 zt379 with 9 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Coast with 8 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 0.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two RM99 with 0.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Zondor with 0.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 zt379 with 0.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 16,125 views
    2. thumb_up 16 thanks given
    3. group 12 followers
    1. forum 88 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Nuclear Power Fanboys Take Note - Fuksushima on the Missouri River?

Zondor 
Portland Oregon, United States

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninjatrader®
Broker: CQG, Kinetick
Trading: Gameplay Klownbine® Trading of Globex
Thanks Given: 1,246
Thanks Received: 2,731

Will Tokyo Be Evacuated Due to Fukushima Radiation? | ZeroHedge

I am still holding my breath waiting to hear any GOOD news about nuclear power.

I think that anyone who would say "but what would be replace it with" is .... well, don't get me started.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

MrYou 
NC, USA

Experience: None
Platform: None Yet
Trading: Guitar
Thanks Given: 618
Thanks Received: 196

"Siemens AG (SIE) said it abandoned a planned return to the nuclear-power industry, following the German government in its retreat from atomic energy in the wake of the reactor catastrophe in Japan earlier this year."

"In the aftermath of the accident, Germany, Europe’s largest economy, decided to decommission its atomic-power plants within the next decade. Loescher, in the interview with Der Spiegel, called the country’s retreat “the project of a century.”

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,249
Thanks Received: 101,669

Nuclear waste issues freeze permits for U.S. power plants - Aug. 9, 2012

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 RM99 
Austin, TX

Platform: TradeStation
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 124
Thanks Received: 704

They build a nuclear power plant in an active Earthquake zone combined with a known flood zone....and people are shocked and dismayed when catastrophe ensues.

In other Earth shattering news.....we should just stop building houses altogether because idiots in Colorado have never heard of controlled burns. Let's let a giant pile of fuel build up (that nature normally expends from time to time) and then all cry our eyes out when monstrous, out of control wildfires burn down entire neighborhoods.

It's no different than the idiots who continue to rebuild in New Orleans...a city that sits on the Northern side of one of the warmest bodies of water in the world (which serves to supercharge every tropical storm that travels there)...in addition....a good majority of the city is built below sea level....but everyone is perplexed when a hurricane strolls in and swamps the city.

I guess we should never drill for oil again because some idiots at BP and their subcontractors didn't follow the rules while drilling miles deep on the ocean floor.

Can anyone think of a WORSE place to build a nuclear reactor than the location at Fukishima? Seriously? You'd be hard pressed.

How dumb would it be to store nuclear weapons in a flood zone or Earthquake zone? How stupid would it be to build a biohazard research facility in those locations?

The reality is that we have hundreds and thousands of "plant-years" of successful and safe operations here in the US and more people die in a single year due to the harvesting and burning of fossil fuels than in the entire history of nuclear power.

Moreover, having worked at combination coal-fired/nuke facility before, most people would be shocked to learn that the surrounding community gets several times more radiation from the Potassium isotopes that are released during coal burning than from the nuke facility (not to mention the C02, sulfates, nitrates and all other manner of pollutants that escape the scrubbing process).

The other inconvenient fact is that for every decision, there's a benefit and a cost. Nuclear power provides a substantial amount of our current power production, enough so that the costs of eliminating it, while not obvious and direct, are huge. I guess people would prefer strip mining for coal or driving the cost of natural gas and petrolium up an additional 20%.

And by the way, the Germans aren't boycotting anything. Just because they shut down their own nukes, doesn't mean they've stopped consuming nuke power. They simply buy it from across their borders in neighboring countries and let them take the risk (and the political fallout) of operating nuclear energy facilities. The French have a very successful nuke program and have for DECADES and yet we don't hear any scaremonger stories about them.

Nuclear power has risks, benefits and drawbacks, just like any other energy industry...but to arbitrarily and ignorantly discard it as unsafe or not viable based off a single accident/disaster is at best ignorant and at worst, conflicted with the interests of non-nuclear energy and power industry interests (i.e. coal, nat gas, "green" energy proponents, etc). Before you reject it, make sure you understand the costs and benefits.

"A dumb man never learns. A smart man learns from his own failure and success. But a wise man learns from the failure and success of others."
Thanked by:
 Coast 
Vancouver, Canada

Platform: iTrade Nexa
Trading: SLW

That's the thing. Not only do you have one huge potential disaster problem in the form of the power plant themselves. The waste is the 800 lb gorilla in the room that the nuclear power industry just sweeps under the rug. Oh well, that'll be a taxpayer problem too. So we don't have to worry about that. They tell you they can do that and that. But they can't. And they don't.

I think Sweden just last created a garbage dump. I'm sure the single most expensive garbage dump on Earth. I've always wondered how the cost of electricity factored the costs of maintaining it's garbage. Personally, I suspect it is carried lock stock and barrel, by the taxpayer. And then the same industry shafts us for taking care of garbage that they don't take care of.

That's how its always been I think.

Here's cool site about current Chernobyl area

https://www.kiddofspeed.com/

aligator 
Las Vegas, NV
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: Abacus, Slide Rule, HP-65
Trading: Futures, Stocks, Options
Thanks Given: 1,071
Thanks Received: 5,994

Funny that all those in the know don't talk to educate those that would scream first when there is a brownout. The talk is done by the same that are not in the know.

We take hell of lot more risk going downstairs or driving on the road than from nuclear energy. It must be done right as in USA (well almost) since 1979. There have been far more risk from coal and other so called "safe" energy than nuclear in this country. God forbid USA nuke some other country again with trigger happy maniacs in Office and Congress, this discussion will be moot.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Zondor 
Portland Oregon, United States

Platform: Ninjatrader®
Broker: CQG, Kinetick
Trading: Gameplay Klownbine® Trading of Globex
Thanks Given: 1,246
Thanks Received: 2,731

Can we bear the legacy costs of industrial society's toxic pollution?

Can we bear the legacy costs of industrial society's toxic pollution? | Energy Bulletin

by Kurt Cobb

The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) stunned the nuclear industry last week by putting power plant licensing decisions on hold while it reconsiders rules on nuclear waste storage struck down by a federal appeals court in June. At issue is the NRC's 2010 ruling that spent nuclear fuel can be safely stored on a plant site for 60 years after the closing of the plant. The question is whether that ruling will withstand the scrutiny inherent in a full environmental impact statement that the court says is required by law.

The issue is part of the much larger and troubling question about the legacy costs--economic, social and environmental--of toxic industrial pollution that are mounting with each day. We'd like to think that we can simply take our industrial wastes and throw them away somewhere. But increasingly, in what economist Herman Daly calls our "full world," (PDF) there is no "away." Hazardous wastes that we thought we could safely sequester deep in the Earth via injection wells are already coming back to haunt us.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

aligator 
Las Vegas, NV
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: Abacus, Slide Rule, HP-65
Trading: Futures, Stocks, Options
Thanks Given: 1,071
Thanks Received: 5,994

Zondor View Post
. We'd like to think that we can simply take our industrial wastes and throw them away somewhere.

This is exactly the why Yucca Mountain Project was started in late 80's, a license application was accepted by the NRC, for review 3 years ago but the Nevadan short sighted politicians cut the funding and Reid's Man heading the NRC stonewalled and put the review on back burner to the point that NRC staff wrote to Congress, the Chairman was questioned in hearings, and the whole thing was a political sham.

Yucca mountain project was to store reactor waste in a deep geologic repository in volcanic rock encapsulated in casks analysed to last more than a million years. The regulatory requirement is 10,000 years. More than 1200-2000 engineers and scientist at times from all national labs and industry worked all these years and produced massive documents supporting the technical and environmental safety aspects of the repository. All the waste from nuclear sites would have been transported and stored in the repository, which would have been accessible for future reprocessing with new technologies. Now we have nuclear sites storage spread at 104 or more reactors.

Not to sound arrogant here, but frankly, unless one has worked on the commercial side of the nuclear generation industry, one will never know the highest degree of safety involved in design, construction, and operation of a nuclear power plant with regards to safety of the public and environment.

NRC is all for the repository, it is the politicians that don't keep their nose out of the science which they don't know anything about.

For anyone interested just do a search on DOE.gov or Google the Yucca Mountain.

Coast 
Vancouver, Canada

Platform: iTrade Nexa
Trading: SLW

"The regulatory requirement is 10,000 years"

This is one (only one) reason I just can't take anybody seriously when it comes to the removing this garage. The concept is ludicrous. Garbage so deadly we have to bury it for 10,000 years. As if!! Five times longer than our own written history. Give or take a couple of thousand years. The problem is that some people have a 'little knowledge'. That makes them dangerous. Especially when they have a lot of money and influence and are in positions of power.

Never mind all this talk about what you would replace it with. Get rid of them. We'd find a way to replace it or deal with it, soon enough. Consider it this way. Nuclear power is not an option.

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Broker: IB, ToS
Trading: /ES, US Equities/Options
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 2,069
Thanks Received: 9,556

If we scuttle all energy produced from nuclear, what percentage is that of energy used? What do we do, use less energy? What alternatives that work today are available today to offset that demand for consumption? Is there any record of actual damage or danger other than a what if situation?

Last Updated on November 24, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts