NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Selling Options on Futures?

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one ron99 with 2,221 posts (4,489 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 346 posts (733 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 341 posts (400 thanks)
    4. looks_4 myrrdin with 288 posts (408 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 2.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ron99 with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 2,003,767 views
    2. thumb_up 9,259 thanks given
    3. group 458 followers
    1. forum 7,370 posts
    2. attach_file 794 attachments

Search this Thread

Selling Options on Futures?

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Experience: Advanced
Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

Also interesting is that since 2008 there have been more days up >1% than days down >1%.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

Dudetooth 
Steubenville Ohio

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: OX, OEC, RJO
Thanks Given: 30
Thanks Received: 274

I've come across something that may be of interest to folks selling ES put spreads. I took TFOpts idea of using a database to store the risk scenarios to quickly get the margin for spreads and created my own database using the EW contract. I expected my results to be different than what he was seeing in ES, but didn't think they would be too far off.

I used Ron’s spread strategy as my baseline and tried to come up with some ideas. Ron’s spread uses 3 options to create a delta 2 position. I wanted to see if you could get similar performance with just 2 options in a simple credit spread creating a delta 2 position.

I ran my tests in the same manner that TFOpts did his. All tests started with 6x IM and exiting at 50% profit. I tried the following: Ron’s method; short 7 delta / long 5 delta; short 5 delta / long 3 delta; and a short 3 delta / long 1 delta. Then I added a spread that had short 7 delta / long 5 delta, but exited once 40% profit was achieved and used only 5x IM.

The results I had for EW were favorable, but I asked TFOpts to check the same methods with his ES database. The attached image is from the tests TFOpts ran. I believe that the results show that a simple credit spread has the potential to be just as effective in terms of returns and risk management.

I hope this helps.

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Dudetooth View Post
I've come across something that may be of interest to folks selling ES put spreads. I took TFOpts idea of using a database to store the risk scenarios to quickly get the margin for spreads and created my own database using the EW contract. I expected my results to be different than what he was seeing in ES, but didn't think they would be too far off.

I used Ron’s spread strategy as my baseline and tried to come up with some ideas. Ron’s spread uses 3 options to create a delta 2 position. I wanted to see if you could get similar performance with just 2 options in a simple credit spread creating a delta 2 position.

I ran my tests in the same manner that TFOpts did his. All tests started with 6x IM and exiting at 50% profit. I tried the following: Ron’s method; short 7 delta / long 5 delta; short 5 delta / long 3 delta; and a short 3 delta / long 1 delta. Then I added a spread that had short 7 delta / long 5 delta, but exited once 40% profit was achieved and used only 5x IM.

The results I had for EW were favorable, but I asked TFOpts to check the same methods with his ES database. The attached image is from the tests TFOpts ran. I believe that the results show that a simple credit spread has the potential to be just as effective in terms of returns and risk management.

I hope this helps.

Thanks this is interesting. Do I assume correctly that you included commissions and fees in these calculations?

One reason I didn't go higher than 5 delta for the short was because a higher than 5 delta short would put you ITM for the largest ES drop in 90 day time frame since 2009, 19.3% for Dec 2011 contract.

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Here are the results from 2 studies

Win Rate = % of scenarios that have a positive return
E(mROI) = average mROI
Med(mROI) = median of mROI
E | Loss = average mROI for losses
E(DTS) = average days from acquisition to liquidation
Med(DTS) = average days from acquisition to liquidation
Max(%M) = Maximum margin requirement as % of margin held

Thanked by:
 Dudetooth 
Steubenville Ohio

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: OX, OEC, RJO
Thanks Given: 30
Thanks Received: 274

ron99 View Post
Thanks this is interesting. Do I assume correctly that you included commissions and fees in these calculations?

The image is from the tests TFOpts ran. I'd gather that he used commissions & fees since he added them into prior tests.

ron99 View Post
One reason I didn't go higher than 5 delta for the short was because a higher than 5 delta short would put you ITM for the largest ES drop in 90 day time frame since 2009, 19.3% for Dec 2011 contract.

I only have risk files for the beginning of each month from May 2008 to Apr 2009 (that TFOpts uploaded) and daily data from 2013, so I am unaware of how things would have performed for the Dec 2011 contract. Were you able to get more historical risk files from CME?

Thanked by:
 ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Dudetooth View Post
I only have risk files for the beginning of each month from May 2008 to Apr 2009 (that TFOpts uploaded) and daily data from 2013, so I am unaware of how things would have performed for the Dec 2011 contract. Were you able to get more historical risk files from CME?

No I don't have more CME files. I'm looking at ES futures prices.

Most/all? of the time a 7 delta is less than 19% OTM. I would think that if short is ITM but long isn't that it is unlikely you aren't on margin call. But I have no proof of that. Of course I have no way right now to backtest 2011.

Calamari88
Henderson, NV, USA

Thanks Given: 91
Thanks Received: 33

I sold ZM calls early last week. Fridays report made them blow up in value and I had to exit at a loss today. Trying to learn from that mistake. Do you all time your grain trades so that you're not selling options right before a major crop report comes out?

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

Calamari88 View Post
I sold ZM calls early last week. Fridays report made them blow up in value and I had to exit at a loss today. Trying to learn from that mistake. Do you all time your grain trades so that you're not selling options right before a major crop report comes out?

Did you mean to post in this thread instead.

Thanked by:
TFOpts
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Received: 136

Dudetooth View Post
The image is from the tests TFOpts ran. I'd gather that he used commissions & fees since he added them into prior tests.

My runs include $7 RT fees.

If you compare run 0 (sell 1 at -5 delta and buy 2 at -1.5 delta) to run 2 (sell 1 at -5 delta and buy 1 at -3 delta), the returns are about the same (especially at the median); but the maximum % of margin held is quite a bit lower on run 2 (75.1% instead of 97.1%).

There's probably opportunity to hold a lower margin multiple, e.g. 5 instead of 6, on run #2 to increase ROI while still avoiding a margin call historically.

Ron, I can't find the post but at some point I think you tested buy 1 sell 1 and came to the conclusion that buy 1 sell 2 was safer. Do you recall the work you did on that?

Thanked by:
 ron99 
Cleveland, OH

TFOpts View Post
My runs include $7 RT fees.

If you compare run 0 (sell 1 at -5 delta and buy 2 at -1.5 delta) to run 2 (sell 1 at -5 delta and buy 1 at -3 delta), the returns are about the same (especially at the median); but the maximum % of margin held is quite a bit lower on run 2 (75.1% instead of 97.1%).

There's probably opportunity to hold a lower margin multiple, e.g. 5 instead of 6, on run #2 to increase ROI while still avoiding a margin call historically.

Ron, I can't find the post but at some point I think you tested buy 1 sell 1 and came to the conclusion that buy 1 sell 2 was safer. Do you recall the work you did on that?

This post discusses higher ROI with 2 longs vs one long.

This one has a table with the first two in table having one long

This one looked at the single long being one month before the short. That didn't work.

TFOpts, would it be possible to do easily, what percent the short option is of futures the day entered and see the max and average for the study? For example, EW3v792020 is -5.07 delta and 83.2% of ES futures 2426.

The Dec 2011 ES futures dropped 19.3% in 88 day time frame.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 28, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts