NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Selling Options on Futures?

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one ron99 with 2,221 posts (4,489 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 346 posts (733 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 341 posts (400 thanks)
    4. looks_4 myrrdin with 288 posts (408 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 2.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ron99 with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 2,003,767 views
    2. thumb_up 9,259 thanks given
    3. group 458 followers
    1. forum 7,370 posts
    2. attach_file 794 attachments

Search this Thread

Selling Options on Futures?

Adam82
New York NY USA

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 21

ron99 View Post
I can't debate with someone about the strategy if he is not using the strategy in his rebuttal. We don't do naked ES puts.

I don't have time to waste on people like him who don't do proper research.

Ron, lol, I never said I don't use the strategy. I do use it. In small size to add to my annual return. would I put my account 100% on this? never.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

Adam82
New York NY USA

ron99 View Post
I can't debate with someone about the strategy if he is not using the strategy in his rebuttal. We don't do naked ES puts.

I don't have time to waste on people like him who don't do proper research.

What research is there to do?? you did the research already. You stated that it won't work with a slow 20% decline or with certain months in 2008. Many stocks are up 500%-800% since 2008 and you think its unreasonable or unlikely to have a 20% down move??

So if you know that, what Im saying is that the prudent thing to do would be some small size. Anything larger and you risk a blow up. The risk is larger than you can quantify.

Thanked by:
 ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Experience: Advanced
Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

Adam82 View Post
Ron, lol, I never said I don't use the strategy. I do use it. In small size to add to my annual return. would I put my account 100% on this? never.

Wow your reading comprehension is horrible.

I didn't say you didn't use it yourself, I said your rebuttal used naked puts when I don't do naked puts.

Adam82 View Post
Shorting 200 contracts of let's just say /ES 2000 puts .

On a large down move , the ask price of the puts goes to 50, reasonable or not .. (remember in large down moves , you can't get your outs back quick enough and they can simply raise the prices to insane levels. ) in addition to the extra margin requirement that kicks in.

So that's it. Just one trade of the /ES puts and $500,000 blows up.

ron99 View Post
I can't debate with someone about the strategy if he is not using the strategy in his rebuttal.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Adam82
New York NY USA

ron99 View Post
Wow your reading comprehension is horrible.

I didn't say you didn't use it yourself, I said your rebuttal used naked puts when I don't do naked puts.

you are using naked puts.

look at the PCLN example I posted earlier.

Buying puts 200 points away is called "wings" in the trading community. Nothing wrong with that, we all do it for various reasons (tail risk, reduce margin , etc.)

But for all intents and purposes you are naked short the puts. Your long puts won't protect you when the market gaps down 600 points and lands between your short and long puts.

The fact that you resort to insults speaks to the efficacy of your argument.

And I don't blame you . 100 pages and nobody has questioned the logic of just selling puts with 100% of your account?? I mean, lol, for real??? An 8 year bull run and no one thinks a 20% drop can happen??

And you are wrong about on thing you mentioned earlier. A basket of dividend stocks paying 3-4% that you sell calls on each month does indeed have risk. BUT THOSE ARE REAL UNDERLYING ASSETS. If there is a 20% drop, you can hold through it and still earn your dividends.

But if your whole account is essentially a bet 365 days per year on the market not having a precipitous fall, then you clearly don't understand risk.

Sazon 
Roswell, GA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 930
Thanks Received: 472

It seems like both of you guys are very knowledgeable about the subject. Instead of yelling at each other it might be more prudent to try and see the other's point of view.

CobblersAwls 
London, United Kingdom

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: N/A
Broker: Bloomberg
Trading: Energies
Thanks Given: 1,089
Thanks Received: 386

Adam82 View Post
And you are wrong about funds being too large to do this. If Ron can it with 1000 contracts, it can be done with 10,000 or 100K or 1M contracts... The point is no sane money manager would do that to their portfolio.

there is no size limitation. open a $100M fund, open a prime brokerage account with Goldman, and they will allow you to sell as many puts you want at any level. So would you sell $20M in puts each month and keep the 4 or 5x IM ?? Is that what you would do with a fund??

You make some good points in this post and the two following it, but you are also plucking numbers out of thin air. Since when did Ron trade 1k contracts? I believe the point was made that there was ample liquidity for 20 or even 100 contracts. Obviously the more you push things the more of a consideration and concern liquidity becomes.

To answer your final point, no I would not. If I were to trade this strategy, it would be a part of my portfolio and I would only have a portion of my money invested in it as I believe in diversifying and minimising risk. As with any kind of leveraged trading, I would likely trade through an LLC so as to separate any major drawdowns on the portfolio from my personal assets and other portfolios. Anyway, you do make some valid points and I don't wholly disagree with you. As I said, there's no free lunch in the markets and hence each individual needs to have their own pre-determined risk limits and risk management.

I'll leave everyone with an excellent and relevant story, involving Taleb and Niederhoffer, which can be read in full here: Blowing Up

"Taleb buys options because he is certain that, at root, he knows nothing, or, more precisely, that other people believe they know more than they do. But there were plenty of people around that table who sold options, who thought that if you were smart enough to set the price of the option properly you could win so many of those one-dollar bets on General Motors that, even if the stock ever did dip below forty-five dollars, you’d still come out far ahead. They believe that the world is a place where, at the end of the day, leaves fall more or less in a predictable pattern."

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Adam82
New York NY USA

CobblersAwls View Post
You make some good points in this post and the two following it, but you are also plucking numbers out of thin air. Since when did Ron trade 1k contracts? I believe the point was made that there was ample liquidity for 20 or even 100 contracts. Obviously the more you push things the more of a consideration and concern liquidity becomes.

To answer your final point, no I would not. If I were to trade this strategy, it would be a part of my portfolio and I would only have a portion of my money invested in it as I believe in diversifying and minimising risk. As with any kind of leveraged trading, I would likely trade through an LLC so as to separate any major drawdowns on the portfolio from my personal assets and other portfolios. Anyway, you do make some valid points and I don't wholly disagree with you. As I said, there's no free lunch in the markets and hence each individual needs to have their own pre-determined risk limits and risk management.

I'll leave everyone with an excellent and relevant story, involving Taleb and Niederhoffer, which can be read in full here: Blowing Up

"Taleb buys options because he is certain that, at root, he knows nothing, or, more precisely, that other people believe they know more than they do. But there were plenty of people around that table who sold options, who thought that if you were smart enough to set the price of the option properly you could win so many of those one-dollar bets on General Motors that, even if the stock ever did dip below forty-five dollars, you’d still come out far ahead. They believe that the world is a place where, at the end of the day, leaves fall more or less in a predictable pattern."

Ron mentioned earlier that he did a 2 by 3 ratio of 345 contracts , for a total over 1700 contracts or something like that.

Love that quote. Taleb is one smart dude. His book is essential reading for understanding risk.

Thanked by:
TFOpts
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Received: 136

rsm005 View Post

@TFOpts

Did you do any of your tests accounting for slippage or super wide margins?

/rsm005/

No, I use the settle data from CME. Large price variations are only somewhat accounted for when you want to exit at a % of premium, e.g. exit when 200% of premium is reached, my model assumes you would actually exit at the settle price instead.

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

Adam82 View Post
when the market gaps down 600 points

LOL The S&P 500 has never dropped 600 or 25% in one day in history. Through many wars, 9/11 and flash crashes.

In fact it has only dropped more than 9% in one day in history. Oct 1987 (20%).

Dow Jones biggest one day drop was in 1987 at 22.6%. 1929 only had a 13% drop

But if you want to talk about how the sky might fall go right ahead somewhere else without me. Get back to me when you can discuss the topic with reasonable thoughts.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,441
Thanks Received: 3,791

SMCJB View Post
Okay it was RFQ's rather than specifically spreads, but the message is the same. It's in the traders best interests to use these types of functionality.

Yes, I agree. One of the better platforms, oddly enough, is OAK from ADMIS for RFQs.
They have RFQs for all CME/CBOT/NYMEX/COMEX and have no routing fees.
I guess since many hedgers use ADMIS, they require these features.

Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 28, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts