NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Selling Options on Futures?

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one ron99 with 2,221 posts (4,489 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 346 posts (733 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 341 posts (400 thanks)
    4. looks_4 myrrdin with 288 posts (408 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 2.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ron99 with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 2,031,533 views
    2. thumb_up 9,259 thanks given
    3. group 458 followers
    1. forum 7,370 posts
    2. attach_file 794 attachments

Search this Thread

Selling Options on Futures?

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Experience: Advanced
Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

ajk1 View Post
Legendary thread here, and lots of great information. Thank you all
There seems to be a lot focus on selling OTM options.. so an OTM put if I am bullish..

Do any of you selling ATM options ? (perhaps if you have a feel your market timing is good)
There is a larger credit to collect, but less room for error..

Selling ATM options in current market? No way. Way too risky.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Strategy stop orders partially filled
EasyLanguage Programming
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Funded Trader platforms
33 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
23 thanks
Trading with Intuition
18 thanks
Self sabotage reframed
14 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
9 thanks
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Thanks Given: 3,688
Thanks Received: 2,651

ajk1 View Post
Legendary thread here, and lots of great information. Thank you all
There seems to be a lot focus on selling OTM options.. so an OTM put if I am bullish..

Do any of you selling ATM options ? (perhaps if you have a feel your market timing is good)
There is a larger credit to collect, but less room for error..

Yes, once in a while I sell ATM options.

But whereas selling FOTM options is a trade that is supposed to work independently of the move of the underlying, selling ATM options only works in case you are correct on the direction of the move of the underlying.

I am currently short LHJ P62-52 and P64-54.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,208

Let me start by saying this is not intended to advocate shorting vol to collect the premium, but again I would point out there is both risk and reward. For example from Friday......

SMCJB View Post
Looking at next week, EW2 expiring Fri 13th, the same 2875/3050 strangle is only 87/89 (ES @ 2967) so over 20% cheaper than last week with a I believe a similar underlying level!

Thankfully I didn't sell this on Friday - as I felt the risk was greater than the previous week and the reward being offered was considerably less. But even if I had, and even with the market down 6.8% (2764) the strangle is only 140.5/143.5, which is a loss of 54 or just over 60%. So even if you closed it now and wrote it off as a bad trade....
  • if you normally close your trades with a 50% win... you only offset 1.2 of your winning trades and as an option seller I suspect your win rate is significantly higher than 55% needed to cover this.
  • If I had sold it and closed it now, then it would only be 54% of my gain from the previous week. Net net on the two trades about +46.

Thanked by:
 jokertrader 
NYC, NY

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra, TT
Broker: N/A
Trading: Spread Researcher and crypto degen
Thanks Given: 545
Thanks Received: 360

Noted and thanks for the analysis.

Issue is what if this was your first trade without having been a winner earlier.. or worse still this is your second trade and the first one was bad timing and you struggled to come out a winner...????..

Is it worth the reward trying to put these on in this volatile environment where it might be just easier to pick levels and enter with limited stops?

After having gone through this for the last few weeks, not sure this is the worth the emotional aggravation

Just my point of view

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.

jokertrader View Post
Issue is what if this was your first trade without having been a winner earlier.. or worse still this is your second trade and the first one was bad timing and you struggled to come out a winner...????..

But that's the case with all trading. Even with a 65% win rate you have 12.25% chance of both your first two trades being losers, so for one in eight traders that will happen. (Of course most new traders probably don't have a 65% win rate so it is in reality even higher.!) This is the beauty of Monte Carlo simulations. Not only do your expected distributions give estimated payout and strategy volatility numbers, but they also give you 'Risk of Ruin' numbers. I'd go on to say that the 'Risk of Ruin' of many strategies are probably considerably higher than people think. Maybe not just because of price risk but because of excessive size and leverage and also liquidity risk. Because when things go really really wrong - the liquidity often isn't there to get out in an orderly manner if you have size on.

jokertrader View Post
Is it worth the reward trying to put these on in this volatile environment where it might be just easier to pick levels and enter with limited stops?

For professional traders selling vol isn't about picking levels it's about expected risk vs expected reward. But yes if your trying to sell options as a directional trade, maybe picking levels and managing stops is a better way to do it. Your really using different tools, in different ways, to try and achieve the same result.

jokertrader View Post
After having gone through this for the last few weeks, not sure this is the worth the emotional aggravation

Ha I hear you. Short vol rarely is fun when markets get interesting! I wish I could say it doesn't bother me at all but in reality I'm so busy juggling so many things I rarely have the time to worry about any one position.

Thanked by:
 ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

On Jan 9, 2020 front month ES future initial margin for non-members was $6,930. On March 11 it will be $9,185. That's a 33% increase.

When you sell options you need to remember that the exchange raising margin affects your excess and your profit.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

ron99 View Post
When you sell options you need to remember that the exchange raising margin affects your excess and your profit.

That's an excellent point Ron and not just specific to options. It's also something very difficult to plan for. I've seen several occasions in Natural Gas where a significant increase in margins has forced liquidations which have in turn moved the market.

ajk1 
London - England

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT, TW
Trading: Futures & Options
Thanks Given: 60
Thanks Received: 12

SMCJB View Post
That's an excellent point Ron and not just specific to options. It's also something very difficult to plan for. I've seen several occasions in Natural Gas where a significant increase in margins has forced liquidations which have in turn moved the market.

Arent a lot of the 'increase in margin notions' more relevant to naked options?
If I am selling a defined risk vertical spread.... either far OTM, or closer ATM - isnt the 'increase in margin' problem somewhat less relevant ?

Ironbeam   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 58
Thanks Received: 81

ajk1 View Post
If I am selling a defined risk vertical spread.... either far OTM, or closer ATM - isnt the 'increase in margin' problem somewhat less relevant ?

Yes, if you're trading limited risk spreads, the increased margins aren't going to have nearly as much an effect on you as someone selling naked options.... in theory. Some brokers will increase margins even more (on top of the SPAN increase), and ignore the fact that your spread risk is limited.

Mike Murphy - Director of Trading

Use Promo Code FUTURES.IO for $0.45 futures commissions, $0.19 micro commissions HERE. *Promotion only available to new customers. Other fees such as exchange and NFA still apply*
Mike Murphy | Director of Trading
Ironbeam Futures
Phone: 312-765-7228 | [email protected]
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

ajk1 View Post

SPAN Margining is very complicated especially when you take into account the portfolio effect of multiple positions. Simplified the SPAN system shocks your position in multiple ways by moving price and volatility to predefined extremes and the worst case scenario is the margin requirement. For a simple option spread the margin requirement for a spread between A and B is I believe just (A-B). Hence if A and B both increase by x% then (A-B) also increases by x%. In reality it's no not that simple, and it's non linear so there isn't an easy rule of thumb. But answering your question, I believe in its simplest form, in an absolute dollars it will be less but in percentage terms I believe it will be similar.

Ironbeam View Post
Yes, if you're trading limited risk spreads, the increased margins aren't going to have nearly as much an effect on you as someone selling naked options....

Again, on a relative basis I respectively disagree. If you have an argument as to why I may be wrong I would be interested to hear it.

I did run several scenario's on the lastest margin increase (March 4th) to try and provide supporting data for my case but the results are hard to interpret which isn't surprising given the underlying price and volatility change.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 28, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts