NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 3,654 posts (2,215 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 135 posts (120 thanks)
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 123 posts (170 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 112 posts (228 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Deucalion with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 602,924 views
    2. thumb_up 3,683 thanks given
    3. group 141 followers
    1. forum 4,686 posts
    2. attach_file 1,117 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

Some of my posts include words that have outside meaning to me, so that I can reference a certain experience, or conversation, or time in life. In a recent conversation with a trader that I have the utmost respect for, and consider to be the most influential in my trading to date, I was recently told about an old bull and a young bull that were standing on top of a hill, admiring the herd below. The young bull says, "Let's run down there and fuck ourselves a cow!" The old bull says, "How 'bout we walk, and fuck them all".

It may not make any sense out of context of the rest of the conversation, but it was another "ahah moment" for me. It dealt with timing, waiting for trade setups, not caring which market is on the screen, realizing that there are more opportunities out there on a daily basis than could ever be acted on. And the reason it applied to yesterday was that I traded in four futures markets and 2 forex pair, one right after another, and while I did lose in one of the forex trades, i fucked the other five.

Of course, I did know what I was looking for, I have worked very hard this past year making some changes to my psychology, and I had to make it a lot harder than it needed to be. That last point I am still in progress with, but I am feeling strong and seeing the results, and very happy that I finally made the leap into full time. Sometimes that exuberance comes across as narcissistic, sometimes it is aided by celebratory pale ales.

I guess I am just cow crazy.

Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I finally started to understand why trade multiple sessions last week. Trading the Asian session is very slow, but the London session is full speed. I need to move to London.

But the real value I found was being in the game as the NY session opened. It made the "open" a lot easier to digest quickly. That is where I wound up nailing everything I traded.

Started this thread

Devil Man 
Fort Lauderdale
Legendary / Stochastic Calculus is not your friend

Platform: Ninjatrader, Python API
Broker: CQG
Trading: S&P, Crude, Gold
Thanks Given: 3,466
Thanks Received: 1,548

@GaryD just curious if you do Lumosity?

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I do not know what that means

Started this thread

Devil Man 
Fort Lauderdale
Legendary / Stochastic Calculus is not your friend

Platform: Ninjatrader, Python API
Broker: CQG
Trading: S&P, Crude, Gold
Thanks Given: 3,466
Thanks Received: 1,548

Lumosity is like golds gym for your brain, I do it every morning before I trade 5 days a week
https://www.lumosity.com/

seems to be popular with a lot of traders here

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Devil Man View Post
Lumosity is like golds gym for your brain, I do it every morning before I trade 5 days a week
Brain Games & Brain Training - Lumosity

seems to be popular with a lot of traders here

That is exactly how I view the London session. Only as of very recently, but since I had never heard of Lumosity it clicked very fast... the idea being that your mind is warmed up, and there will be a new response to price that is statistically significant. The "open" is it's own thing, regarding price location probabilities, regarding risk to reward, regarding volume expectancy

In CL it is A period, related to Y VA, related to VWAP, related to expansions from a mean, related to trend

and then you just get in and ride that shit

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Started this thread
 lancelottrader 
west palm beach florida usa
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ninja trader
Broker: Optimus Futures/ Rithmic
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 1,113
Thanks Received: 5,386

GaryD View Post
I finally started to understand why trade multiple sessions last week. Trading the Asian session is very slow, but the London session is full speed. I need to move to London.

But the real value I found was being in the game as the NY session opened. It made the "open" a lot easier to digest quickly. That is where I wound up nailing everything I traded.

If you trade the London and the New York session, when are you sleeping?

Failure is not an option

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

lancelottrader View Post
If you trade the London and the New York session, when are you sleeping?

That my friend was the reason I needed to commit to full time. Now, I trade when I want and I sleep when I want. I have zero outside responsibilities. We have 2 dogs, 1 cat, no kids. I have zero debt. (Bankruptcy has some positives)

I traded London because I wanted to, just woke up around 4am, started skyping with a friend, saw a good trade, and the day was on.

I am loving it. Getting into my groove, traded 5 markets today: GBPUSD $7.50 (FXCM), ES $187.50 (MIRUS), CL $840, TF $850, and GC got me for -$90 (OPTIMUS), but that chart is still open and I have my eye on it. LOL!!!

I can relax into a trade, getting in or getting out. There is nothing else when I start into trade mode, and if I have an appointment to play disc golf, I just do not get into a trade. ezbreezy

Started this thread
 lancelottrader 
west palm beach florida usa
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ninja trader
Broker: Optimus Futures/ Rithmic
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 1,113
Thanks Received: 5,386

GaryD View Post
That my friend was the reason I needed to commit to full time. Now, I trade when I want and I sleep when I want. I have zero outside responsibilities. We have 2 dogs, 1 cat, no kids. I have zero debt. (Bankruptcy has some positives)

I traded London because I wanted to, just woke up around 4am, started skyping with a friend, saw a good trade, and the day was on.

I am loving it. Getting into my groove, traded 5 markets today: GBPUSD $7.50 (FXCM), ES $187.50 (MIRUS), CL $840, TF $850, and GC got me for -$90 (OPTIMUS), but that chart is still open and I have my eye on it. LOL!!!

I can relax into a trade, getting in or getting out. There is nothing else when I start into trade mode, and if I have an appointment to play disc golf, I just do not get into a trade. ezbreezy

Sounds great. I wish you all the best.

Failure is not an option

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 23, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts