NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Tight Stops can give false comfort

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one liquidcci with 21 posts (19 thanks)
    2. looks_two monpere with 15 posts (24 thanks)
    3. looks_3 ReaM with 12 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 RM99 with 11 posts (14 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 3.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two monpere with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 RM99 with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 liquidcci with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 31,385 views
    2. thumb_up 119 thanks given
    3. group 23 followers
    1. forum 114 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

Tight Stops can give false comfort

aediaz1 
Oslo

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 39

Big Mike View Post
Thanks for sharing, but I'm having a hard time following. Perhaps you can list three or four example trades including the stop loss and profit target for each, and at what point you move to breakeven.

I guess I tend to think in terms of what I call "efficiency", which is how much of the MFE I closed on the trade. If MFE is 100 ticks, and I exited the trade at 50 ticks, that is 50% efficiency. So I have a hard time understanding what you've posted because it is missing pieces of the puzzle.

Mike

Big Mike,

I might explained it more complicated than it really is and it would probably be easier to understand if I say that accuracy = success-rate.

Example: I got a signal to enter long on usdchf @ .7900. According to the graph in the previous post, it would make sense to only move the position into BE after 60 pips at .7960, since that shows highest profitability. Then there is only two possible outcomes; it either hit my TP based on average range (blue line) or trigger my stop @ .7960.

Hope it was easier to understand.

"We may not be able to control the wind, but we can always adjust our sails"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$USDCHF (15 Min)  26_08_2011.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	47588  
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
use extra computer for optimisation
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,249
Thanks Received: 101,669

aediaz1 View Post
Big Mike,

I might explained it more complicated than it really is and it would probably be easier to understand if I say that accuracy = success-rate.

Example: I got a signal to enter long on usdchf @ .7900. According to the graph in the previous post, it would make sense to only move the position into BE after 60 pips at .7960, since that shows highest profitability. Then there is only two possible outcomes; it either hit my TP based on average range (blue line) or trigger my stop @ .7960.

Hope it was easier to understand.

Yes, but the graph was missing important pieces of the puzzle (as far as I could tell anyway), such as stop and target size for each trade, and the MAE and MFE for each trade.

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

aediaz1 
Oslo

Big Mike View Post
Yes, but the graph was missing important pieces of the puzzle (as far as I could tell anyway), such as stop and target size for each trade, and the MAE and MFE for each trade.

Mike

I realized just now, despite your first post, that I didn't include TP and SL and my first post. SL = 50 pips and TP = 110 pips.

Thanked by:
 billr 
San Antonio, Texas USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader, Tradestation
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Received: 35

Hi aediaz1,
I have also done extensive testing on BE stops and have found results similar to what you describe. I was surprised that the threshold for moving the stop to BE was so high. It isn't that intuitive at first glance. Mike's question about MAE/MFE is an interesting one. I only looked at those figures in a macro context to give me some parameters for testing. It would be interesting to see what relationship might present itself for a set of test parameters.

I did most of my testing on EUR/USD (6E) and had similar SL/PT ranges. I think my most efficient setting was SL 35ticks and PT 170ticks. It was further optimized with a second, single stop move to 35 ticks when position profit hit somewhere between 80 and 120ticks. (It has been a while since I was working with this trade model and don't remember the specifics.) Of course the entry component of the model has an effect, but that is a whole different conversation

aediaz1 
Oslo

billr View Post
Hi aediaz1,
I have also done extensive testing on BE stops and have found results similar to what you describe. I was surprised that the threshold for moving the stop to BE was so high. It isn't that intuitive at first glance. Mike's question about MAE/MFE is an interesting one. I only looked at those figures in a macro context to give me some parameters for testing. It would be interesting to see what relationship might present itself for a set of test parameters.

I did most of my testing on EUR/USD (6E) and had similar SL/PT ranges. I think my most efficient setting was SL 35ticks and PT 170ticks. It was further optimized with a second, single stop move to 35 ticks when position profit hit somewhere between 80 and 120ticks. (It has been a while since I was working with this trade model and don't remember the specifics.) Of course the entry component of the model has an effect, but that is a whole different conversation

Hi Billr. I had the same feeling when I discovered this research some years ago. Back then I used 20-30 pips trailing stop which was devastating for my results. I think the main reason people want to use such a small trailing stop is to reduce the mental stress. At least, that was probably my reason.

Last Updated on September 28, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts