NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Where can I find CME holidays scheduler?

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 3 posts (14 thanks)
    2. looks_two Investorito with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 baruchs with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 wisp with 2 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 4.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tr8er with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 4,636 views
    2. thumb_up 18 thanks given
    3. group 5 followers
    1. forum 14 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

Where can I find CME holidays scheduler?

tr8er 
Europe
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TradeNavigator, BookMap
Trading: ES, CL, 6E, 6B
Thanks Given: 220
Thanks Received: 709

wisp View Post
I am never able to clearly understand CME calendars. On July 1 is Equity market open all day and on July 4th, is there Equity trading till 12CT? Equity also includes Equity Futures I assume. Please help me understand this. Thank you.

yes of course (the CME is a futures-exchange
equity = index-futures

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,524
Thanks Received: 26,292

wisp View Post
I am never able to clearly understand CME calendars. On July 1 is Equity market open all day and on July 4th, is there Equity trading till 12CT? Equity also includes Equity Futures I assume. Please help me understand this. Thank you.

Yes, for the July 4 holiday the CME will open for equity futures trading (not for equity trading, which is on the NY Stock Exchange, which is closed ), at the usual time of 1700 CT Sunday, 7/3, and it will close at 1200 CT on Monday, the 4th. This is how they do it just about every holiday that only affects the US: open at the regular time, close at Noon CT. Then it reopens Monday at 1700 CT, as if a new week were starting on Sunday night (but it's Monday.)

Friday, July 1, CME closes at the regular Friday closing time of 1600 CT.

On a normal week, CME closes Friday at 1600 CT and reopens for the next week on Sunday night at 1700 CT. For Monday holidays, they typically just open up Sunday night and run until noon on Monday, then start the week again Monday night.

Volume will be extremely low to nearly dead on Monday, but there will be some for a while.

So it's just like it says on the schedule. Once you've read a few of these, it will look simpler, even normal.

Bob.

-------------------

Edited a few times because I screwed up the 1600's and 1700's, as I usually do, since I'm on ET.

But it's still a short day on the 4th....

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:
wisp
vancouver, BC

Thanks Given: 89
Thanks Received: 16

bobwest View Post
Yes, for the July 4 holiday the CME will open for equity futures trading (not for equity trading, which is on the NY Stock Exchange, which is closed ), at the usual time of 1700 CT Sunday, 7/3, and it will close at 1200 CT on Monday, the 4th. This is how they do it just about every holiday that only affects the US: open at the regular time, close at Noon CT. Then it reopens Monday at 1700 CT, as if a new week were starting on Sunday night (but it's Monday.)

Friday, July 1, CME closes at the regular Friday closing time of 1600 CT.

On a normal week, CME closes Friday at 1600 CT and reopens for the next week on Sunday night at 1700 CT. For Monday holidays, they typically just open up Sunday night and run until noon on Monday, then start the week again Monday night.

Volume will be extremely low to nearly dead on Monday, but there will be some for a while.

So it's just like it says on the schedule. Once you've read a few of these, it will look simpler, even normal.

Bob.

-------------------

Edited a few times because I screwed up the 1600's and 1700's, as I usually do, since I'm on ET.

But it's still a short day on the 4th....

Thanks so very much much again Bob. In this link, in the 2nd column it says CME group closes early on the 1st of July. https://www.cmegroup.com/tools-information/holiday-calendar.html#tradingFloors What does that refer to?

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

Gone are the days when the exchange closes early on a Friday of a 4 day weekend and doesn't reopen until Monday night. That's what happens when the control moves from a group of locals who arrange everything around what's best for their schedules to a publicly owned exchange where everything is electronic and every single contract/dollar counts.

@wisp that link clearly says 'trading floors'. I believe the only trading floor open is the Eurodollar Options pit.

Thanked by:

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,103

wisp View Post

CME is closed on Saturday and Sunday. Otherwise there arefour types of days:

(1) Regular business days
(2) Holidays where the exchange is open with an early close at noon CT (1:00 PM EST)
(3) Holidays where the exchange is closed
(4) Special cases

Now cases(1) and (3) are easy to handle, case(2) is a bit tricky, (4) applies to Good Friday and Christmas Eve. I will explain the four cases below for US equity index futures. There may be different rules for other futures contracts.

(1) Regular business days

The exchange opens at 5:00 PM CT (Chicago Time) the prior evening and closes at 4:00 PM CT.

Example: Monday, July 18, 2022. The exchange opens at 5:00 PM CT on Sunday, July 17 and closes at 4:00 PM CT on Monday, July 18. All futures transactions belonging to this session are for trade date July 18 and will be settled on the next business day, which is Tuesday, July 19. Open positions are marked to market by applying the official daily settlement price. The settlement price is the volume weighted average price of all transactions taking place on Monday, July 18 between 2:59:30 PM and 3:00:00 PM CT.

Summary for regular business days:

- the market is open from 5:00 PM until 4:00 PM
- the settlement price is determined during the 30 seconds prior to 3:00 PM
- all trades are marked to market or settled next day

(2) Holidays where the market is open with an early close

This rule is applied to the following holidays:

Martin-Luther-King Day
President's Day
Good Friday (in 2021, but not in 2019, 2020, 2022 where it was closed)
Memorial Day
Juneteenth (since 2022)
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving

The trading sessions for these holidays start at 5:00 PM CT the prior day and close at 12:00 PM (noon) CT. Mostly the session with an early close fall together with a Monday. Exceptions are Independence Day (which may be observed on different days) and Thanksgiving which always falls together with a Thursday. Now this is not all which makes these days different.
In particular these 8 days do not count as trading days and there is no settlement period. All transactions carried out during these days are for trade date next day and are settled two business days after the transaction. For 2022 we have

Martin-Luther-King Day: 17.01.2022 for trade date 18.01.2022 with settlement on 19.01.2022
President's Day: 21.02.2022 for trade date 23.02.2022 with settlement on 24.02.2022
Memorial Day: 30.05.2022 for trade date 31.05.2022 with settlement on 01.06.2022
Juneteenth (since 2022): 20.06.2022 for trade date 21.06.2022 with settlement on 22.06.2022
Independence Day: 04.07.2022 for trade date 05.07.2022 with settlement on 06.07.2022
Labor Day: 05.09.2022 for trade date 06.09.2022 with settlement on 07.09.2022
Thanksgiving: 24.11.2022 for trade date 25.11.2022 with settlement on 28.11.2022

Example: Monday, July 4, 2022. The exchange opens at 5:00 PM CT on Sunday, July 3 and closes at 12:00 PM (noon) CT on Monday, July 4. There is no settlement price for July 4. All futures transactions belonging to this session are for trade date Tuesday, July 05 and will be settled on the next business day, which is Wednesday, July 06. Open positions are marked to market by applying the official daily settlement price. The settlement price is the volume weighted average price of all transactions taking place on Tuesday, July 05 between 2:59:30 PM and 3:00:00 PM CT.

Summary for special holidays

- the market is open from 5:00 PM CT until 12:00 PM (noon) CT
- there is no settlement price
- contractually, the trading day does not count as such but it part of the next trading day
- all trades are only marked to market or settled with the trades of the next trading day
- the settlement takes place two days later

This has further implications. As these days are no trading days, and as there is no settlement price, there will be no daily bar on a daily chart.
So you will notice that for these days you data provider supplies intraday data, but that there is no daily data.
This has further implications for some indicator as floor pivots, which are calculated from the contractual trading date and not from a holiday session.

(3) Holidays where the exchange is closed

This is an easy case, as you may treat it as a Saturday or Sunday. Exchange closed, no trades, no trade data.

New Year's Day
Good Friday (with the exception of 2021)
Christmas Eve (when Christmas Day falls together with a Saturday)
Chistmas Day
Boxing Day (when Christmas Day falls together with a Sunday)

(4) Special cases

For Good Friday the rules seem to change every second year. Sometimes the exchange was fully closed (2019, 2020, 2022). Then it was open with an early close at 08:15 AM CT (2021).
This means that in 2021 you would have treated it as part of the Easter Monday session and it would have fallen into category (2)

For Christmas Eve there is an early close (12:15 PM CT) with an early settlement (12:00 PM CT). So it is not as complex as the cases in category (2).

Hope everyone is confused now. :-)

Last Updated on July 17, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts