NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Using OnMarketData() on Historical data with a recording engine

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one gomi with 34 posts (87 thanks)
    2. looks_two aviat72 with 10 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 danjurgens with 9 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Michael.H with 8 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one gomi with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Zondor with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 danjurgens with 0.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 aviat72 with 0.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 51,435 views
    2. thumb_up 104 thanks given
    3. group 28 followers
    1. forum 115 posts
    2. attach_file 23 attachments

Search this Thread

Using OnMarketData() on Historical data with a recording engine

Zondor 
Portland Oregon, United States

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninjatrader®
Broker: CQG, Kinetick
Trading: Gameplay Klownbine® Trading of Globex
Thanks Given: 1,246
Thanks Received: 2,731

I think that the optimal setup for GomRecorderIndicators used to write data, is to put them on tick interval charts. There is no need to use writing recorders on any other type of chart than a tick chart. All of my recorders that have write data set to true are on dedicated tick interval recorder charts in one workspace that is not used for anything else, and that runs in the background.

I found that when my recording indicator and data consuming indicator are both on tick charts, I am now getting perfect matches on almost all bars between (buyvolume + sellvolume) and Volume[0]. To get there, I needed to implement RJay's FirstTickOfBar fix for NT7, and also to count the BetwenBidAsk and Unknown ticks, using Gomi's "direction" to determine whether they are buys or sells.

The file created by the GomRecorder needs to be able to be used by data consuming indicators that could be on any type of chart. Charts with intervals of ticks and seconds should work fine. On minute based charts there are some problems due to the lower precision of the time stamps. However you can get around this by using seconds intervals, such as 300 for a 5 minute chart. This forces Ninnie to use the one second time stamps. Gomi pointed this out a long time ago.

With volume interval charts there are problems when a spillover trade with volume of more than one causes the volume counted to go over the nominal interval volume of the chart. Example: We have a 100 volume chart and are up to 98 contracts traded. The next tick has a volume of 25. If all of those are included in the current bar of the volume indicator, it will have a total volume of 123, but Volume [0] will still be 100, as it is for all bars.

The child indicators such as CD, GomDeltaIndicator, etc are where the adjustments should be made on volume based charts, when one trade spills over to the next bar. I don't see how the GomRecorder itself can compensate for this, since it has no way of knowing what kind of chart it will be called upon to supply data to.

When I get around to it I will see if I can code changes to the BuySellVolume indicator and to GomDeltaIndicator to make them work correctly on constant volume charts. I am interested in the GomDeltaIndicator because it is the data source for the GomVolumeLadder, which is often used on volume interval charts.

Regarding range, Renko, etc charts, I don't even want to think about them right now.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Strategy stop orders partially filled
EasyLanguage Programming
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Michael.H 
CA

Experience: Master
Platform: Marketdelta and Ninja
Broker: Velocity
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 64
Thanks Received: 529

How many days do you load on the tick charts.. Do you set it to ETH or default? Does it have to be on a 1 tick chart?

aviat72 
San Francisco Bay Area

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT,TOS,IB
Trading: ES,CL,TF
Thanks Given: 161
Thanks Received: 273

Zondor:

I am surprised that type of chart you record on should make a difference. The recorder is based on Market Data events and those are kind of independent of the bar logic in NT. Do you have any specific observations which made you arrive at that conclusion or is it based more on empirical observations about what works and what does not?

I made a small change on the volume ladder to add the last tick to the new bar. I do not mess with the old bar since it does not matter that much.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Zondor 

Quoting 
How many days do you load on the tick charts.. Do you set it to ETH or default? Does it have to be on a 1 tick chart?

Assuming that you are asking about the charts that I use for recording: They have an interval of about 100 ticks and only go back about 50 bars, so that they will load fast. To make sure I don't miss anything I usually use the default 24/7 session template.

Before I shut down Ninnie I close all the workspaces except the Recorder workspace. Then it's the only one that loads automagically® when Ninnie restarts.

Then I start up the other workspaces one by one and leave the Recorder one running in the background. The only reason I look at it once in a while is to check that everything is Recording OK.

gomi 
Paris
Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: NinjaTrader
Thanks Given: 282
Thanks Received: 4,505

Hi guys,

A good news : I've been working to try to improve the tick engine of the recorder, for now I've been able to get 100% perfect match of Vol[0] as compared to gomi volume, for second charts, tick charts, range charts and volume charts (by splitting volume). I also improved the non-splitting volume chart by sending the ticks a bit differently.

A few charts : first indie is Vol[0], second indie is Volume read from Gom tick engine, and third indie is the diff : so should be 0.

Of course this is work in progress...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	secondchart.png
Views:	276
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	24421   Click image for larger version

Name:	tickchart.png
Views:	274
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	24423   Click image for larger version

Name:	rangechart.png
Views:	272
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	24425   Click image for larger version

Name:	volumesplitting.png
Views:	271
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	24427   Click image for larger version

Name:	oldticksending.png
Views:	285
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	24429   Click image for larger version

Name:	newticksending.png
Views:	246
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	24431  
Started this thread Reply With Quote
 aviat72 
San Francisco Bay Area

gomi View Post
Hi guys,

A good news : I've been working to try to improve the tick engine of the recorder, for now I've been able to get 100% perfect match of Vol[0] as compared to gomi volume, for second charts, tick charts, range charts and volume charts (by splitting volume). I also improved the non-splitting volume chart by sending the ticks a bit differently.

A few charts : first indie is Vol[0], second indie is Volume read from Gom tick engine, and third indie is the diff : so should be 0.

Of course this is work in progress...

Gomi:

I was also thinking of making the gom interface sensitive to the type of bar being used to work around these last tick issues; it is great you are already attempting it.

One of the biggest challenges with the gom indicators is keeping the tick data base current. I was wondering if you would consider a mode where the recorder uses one file per day of data, instead of one file for the entire history of the instrument.

It would be much easier to maintain a clean tick database; you can just download and save the data from your vendor after midnight, while recording the current data live. This will also allow you to update historical data without shutting off the recorder. The biggest challenge I face is keeping the database current, without shutting off the live recorder.

Ideally the on disk file-structure for that will involve instrument specific sub-folders within the GOMFOLDER directory.
I can pitch in some coding time if that helps, but I do not understand all the nuances of the GomRecorder to do it independently.

Thanked by:

Zondor 

That's great news, Gomi.

I also like the idea of one file per day for Gom files, would make it easier to manage the data, fix gaps, etc.

Thanked by:
 aviat72 
San Francisco Bay Area

gomi:

I think we still have a problem. I have a CL template with 3 sessions (6:00PM to 9:AM, 9:00AM to 2:30PM, 2:30 PM to 5:15PM EST). Today (Friday) the last day of the week, the recorder stopped sending ticks at 9:00AM when the session rolled over the pit session.

Earlier on, I used to face problems on Monday morning ES (again a 3 session template). I think that is fixed, but the Friday problem remains.

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: NT 8, TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5,139
Thanks Received: 11,527

aviat72 View Post
gomi:

I think we still have a problem. I have a CL template with 3 sessions (6:00PM to 9:AM, 9:00AM to 2:30PM, 2:30 PM to 5:15PM EST). Today (Friday) the last day of the week, the recorder stopped sending ticks at 9:00AM when the session rolled over the pit session.

Earlier on, I used to face problems on Monday morning ES (again a 3 session template). I think that is fixed, but the Friday problem remains.

I had the exact same problem with TF and 3 session template. today is the first day that everything is working fine. don't know if it has something to do with NT7 rc1 version. are you using the same version?

aviat72 
San Francisco Bay Area

Silvester17 View Post
I had the exact same problem with TF and 3 session template. today is the first day that everything is working fine. don't know if it has something to do with NT7 rc1 version. are you using the same version?

gomi made some changes in the recorder file. That fixed the monday bug but there is this Friday issue now.

Last Updated on March 6, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts