NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Beast Slayer, Lance's NQ Trading Journal

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one lancelottrader with 843 posts (4,515 thanks)
    2. looks_two redbarntrades with 59 posts (147 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 28 posts (117 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Okina with 23 posts (41 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one lancelottrader with 5.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Rrrracer with 4.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 4.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 redbarntrades with 2.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 460,300 views
    2. thumb_up 6,047 thanks given
    3. group 648 followers
    1. forum 1,639 posts
    2. attach_file 251 attachments

Search this Thread

The Beast Slayer, Lance's NQ Trading Journal

redbarntrades
Kalispell=Mt./USA

Thanks Given: 354
Thanks Received: 426

lancelottrader View Post
I really didn't know that about the taxes. I just tried googling it but nothing much came up. To be honest, I don't have a lot of confidence I will pass the thing my first time out..since it's a different style that I'm used to. Also, i won't keep trying over and over after this to do it. I'm quite happy trading my regular account and this is just a little challenge I thought would fun to try.

Did a quick search. Currently we can claim as an investor which as you know is unearned income. See the copied and pasted portion from TopStepTrader:

How should I report my earnings from Topstep®?

Funded traders should report all earnings as regular income. Additionally, funded traders are only required to report the amount they have received as withdrawals.
For example: a funded trader that earns $5,000 in their account but only withdraws $1,000 would have to report $1,000 worth of income.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
22 thanks
What is Markets Chat (markets.chat) real-time trading ro …
19 thanks
ApexTraderFunding.com experience and review
15 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
15 thanks
EG Indicators
11 thanks
 lancelottrader 
west palm beach florida usa
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ninja trader
Broker: Optimus Futures/ Rithmic
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 1,113
Thanks Received: 5,386

redbarntrades View Post
Did a quick search. Currently we can claim as an investor which as you know is unearned income. See the copied and pasted portion from TopStepTrader:

How should I report my earnings from Topstep®?

Funded traders should report all earnings as regular income. Additionally, funded traders are only required to report the amount they have received as withdrawals.
For example: a funded trader that earns $5,000 in their account but only withdraws $1,000 would have to report $1,000 worth of income.

Thanks. Another good reason to trade one's own account if you can afford it. We'll see what happens. lol

Failure is not an option
Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
redbarntrades
Kalispell=Mt./USA

lancelottrader View Post
Thanks. Another good reason to trade one's own account if you can afford it. We'll see what happens. lol

The tax implications are so different for different instruments traded etc. A person sure needs to do their own due diligence. I for one, moved to futures as any income is unearned and works well as I am of Soc. Security age.

I have seen conflicting articles on those who list themselves as daytraders. Some say their earnings are subject to self-employment income (but can deduct all losses and costs of doing business) and other say no S. Sec. tax.

We "investors" get good tax rates, no self-employment tax but are limited to deducting only 3k per year. I don't mind that. It's my preference as at this time, I do not want regular income but unearned income. That may change in the future.

Anyway, I am not inclined at this time to go with a firm like TopStep. But if I change my mind and go live with someone like them, then I would make sure I understood the current tax laws.

I suspect you will do the same if you were to go live with your combine.

Sure am looking forward to your live stream.

I and many others here do appreciate your contributions!

You are........

lancelottrader 
Market Wizard

redbarntrades View Post
The tax implications are so different for different instruments traded etc. A person sure needs to do their own due diligence. I for one, moved to futures as any income is unearned and works well as I am of Soc. Security age.

I have seen conflicting articles on those who list themselves as daytraders. Some say their earnings are subject to self-employment income (but can deduct all losses and costs of doing business) and other say no S. Sec. tax.

We "investors" get good tax rates, no self-employment tax but are limited to deducting only 3k per year. I don't mind that. It's my preference as at this time, I do not want regular income but unearned income. That may change in the future.

Anyway, I am not inclined at this time to go with a firm like TopStep. But if I change my mind and go live with someone like them, then I would make sure I understood the current tax laws.

I suspect you will do the same if you were to go live with your combine.

Sure am looking forward to your live stream.

I and many others here do appreciate your contributions!

You are........

Thank you and yes, I'm very proud of the company my grandfather started.

Failure is not an option
Thanked by:
redbarntrades
Kalispell=Mt./USA

lancelottrader View Post
Thank you and yes, I'm very proud of the company my grandfather started.

I'm glad! I'm proud for you! I used to buy set after set back in 71 and 72 when I was into building engines and drag racing. So, I was tickled to read about your Grandad.

After looking at a bunch of your videos, I came across your other work. Of course your family history popped up. History was always my favorite subject in school.

So, I was just being a little cheeky with the logo, but sincere.

So many great accomplishments of our forebears. Your own history adds so much more to your own contributions on this site.

I did enjoy your "If they can do it, why can't I?" 45 years ago, I thought the same thing when I heard a guy play German music on his accordion at a dance. So, I applied that phrase (unique in it's own way). I proceeded to have a side career of doing the same for 38 years following.

Yes, I was blessed with a good dad too. He impressed upon me to "do it if it's the last thing I do". "I'll do this if it kills me". No time for negativity. No complaining. Yep, a good dad! Kind to all.

So, on this Memorial Day, we remember their contributions.

Ok.... Let's go for it!

Cals
puchong, malaysia

Thanks Given: 44
Thanks Received: 15

wow hes is your grandfather? he won paris roubaix!

Thanked by:
 lancelottrader 
Market Wizard

redbarntrades View Post
I'm glad! I'm proud for you! I used to buy set after set back in 71 and 72 when I was into building engines and drag racing. So, I was tickled to read about your Grandad.

After looking at a bunch of your videos, I came across your other work. Of course your family history popped up. History was always my favorite subject in school.

So, I was just being a little cheeky with the logo, but sincere.

So many great accomplishments of our forebears. Your own history adds so much more to your own contributions on this site.

I did enjoy your "If they can do it, why can't I?" 45 years ago, I thought the same thing when I heard a guy play German music on his accordion at a dance. So, I applied that phrase (unique in it's own way). I proceeded to have a side career of doing the same for 38 years following.

Yes, I was blessed with a good dad too. He impressed upon me to "do it if it's the last thing I do". "I'll do this if it kills me". No time for negativity. No complaining. Yep, a good dad! Kind to all.

So, on this Memorial Day, we remember their contributions.

Ok.... Let's go for it!

I appreciate your words very much. It sounds like you saw my speech from the Contagious Optimism event a few years back, where I spoke about my father, Frank Stranahan. Thank you again for your nice comments. Your father sounds like he was cut from the same cloth as mine.

Failure is not an option
Thanked by:
 lancelottrader 
Market Wizard

Cals View Post
wow hes is your grandfather? he won paris roubaix!

You may be thinking of Albert Champion, the bicyclist who also was involved in his own Spark Plug Business..and he was an early partner of my grandfather, R.A. Stranahan. Albert was the bicyclist who won the Paris Roubaix race. My grandather and his brother ended up legally having the name Champion Spark Plug company and Albert Champion instead formed his own company AC Spark Plugs.

Failure is not an option
Thanked by:
redbarntrades
Kalispell=Mt./USA

lancelottrader View Post
You may be thinking of Albert Champion, the bicyclist who also was involved in his own Spark Plug Business..and he was an early partner of my grandfather, R.A. Stranahan. Albert was the bicyclist who won the Paris Roubaix race. My grandather and his brother ended up legally having the name Champion Spark Plug company and Albert Champion instead formed his own company AC Spark Plugs.

Wow, I learn something everyday! What a cool history lesson!

I didn't know that about Albert Champion.

Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, I did catch that talk. I bet you got a great response from the audience.

Thanks Lance!

Thanked by:
Cals
puchong, malaysia

Thanks Given: 44
Thanks Received: 15

lancelottrader View Post

pretty awesome history , and now you are making history itself my friend your a champion pro trader

Last Updated on April 11, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts