NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

WallStreetBets reddit (GME GameStop)

Discussion in Stocks and ETFs

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 28 posts (54 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 21 posts (76 thanks)
    3. looks_3 BertV with 20 posts (21 thanks)
    4. looks_4 forrestang with 16 posts (24 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one TheShrike with 4.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 3.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Silver Dragon with 3.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 39,178 views
    2. thumb_up 507 thanks given
    3. group 648 followers
    1. forum 243 posts
    2. attach_file 28 attachments

Search this Thread

WallStreetBets reddit (GME GameStop)

forrestang 
Chicago IL

Experience: None
Platform: Ninja, MT4, Matlab
Broker: CQG, AMP, MB, DTN
Trading: E/U, G/U
Thanks Given: 354
Thanks Received: 1,047

Isn't it the case, that when this does have to happen, that brokerages would suspend BOTH sides of trading though?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

futs 
Clearwater FL US

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Etrade, Tradovate and TOS
Trading: SPX, /ES, /MES, Options
Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 20

TAJTrades View Post
I am curious about where these people are getting the data for "Most Shorted Stocks"? I have poked around the web a little and have not found any two sites that have the same data.

Does any one know of a reliable source for "Most Shorted Stocks"?

I have heard you won't either.

Etrade has a short interest on float report.

futs 
Clearwater FL US

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Etrade, Tradovate and TOS
Trading: SPX, /ES, /MES, Options
Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 20

phantomtrader View Post
I have a question - was this exclusive to RobinHood or did the same happen with other brokerages? If it's exclusive to RobinHood, why was their cash requirement so low as to not cover the trading, regardless how volatile that trading was? I would guess other brokerages were experiencing some "stress" as well.

Was reading this thread by FuturesTrader 71 at Twitter:

This was kind of misleading. Robinhood is self clearing, they halted and limited trading. Tastyworks uses Apex Clearing, Apex halted the trading.

Here is the kicker:

Apex Clearing parent company PEAK6, #Citadel (#Robinhood investor), Interactive Brokers, tastytrade. Apex, RH, Interactive Brokers, tastytrade all halted $GME trading. All have financial investments w/or by Citadel who just invested in Melvin HF getting hosed.

Thanked by:
 Arch 
W.Coast, USA.

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Anything
Trading: Emini
Thanks Given: 106
Thanks Received: 381

Big Mike View Post
Melvin says they've exited their position.

What do you think retail does next? These guys on wallstreetbets?

Who else is surprised by Melvin's quick defeat?

Current short interest is still above 100% so there are other fish in the pond getting cooked.

Thanked by:

cory 
virginia

Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

futs View Post
Here is the kicker:

Apex Clearing parent company PEAK6, #Citadel (#Robinhood investor), Interactive Brokers, tastytrade. Apex, RH, Interactive Brokers, tastytrade all halted $GME trading. All have financial investments w/or by Citadel who just invested in Melvin HF getting hosed.

now, it makes sense

justtrader 
San Francisco, CA

Platform: Ninja Trader, TOS
Trading: es, rty, cl, gc, nq, ym
Thanks Given: 104
Thanks Received: 173

Interesting. Seems like small traders have found a way to beat the big money, as long as they join forces by bunching together. I was totally unaware of reddit driving this. This is the first time I heard about that.

I had a few shares that I purchased about a month ago because I saw the price action "ready" to break up. I never expected such move and I thank these people because I made a few bucks.

TWYS NWYT (Price Advertises Opportunity; Time Regulates it; Volume Measures its Success/Failure ---- Dalton)
Sagal
Strasbourg, France

Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 96

Big Mike View Post
Except aren't most big funds already long Silver?

Mike

I don't pretend I got it right, there are rumors for many years on Silver including some like JPM and other Big Banks are artificially maintaining low prices but at the same time are building up their own stock of Silver at a low price because they know since years what is going to happen....
In Precious Metals big funds are always (rare exceptions) long Silver. However in Precious Metals Commercial category can also refer to some activities of some big bank that are custodian of Gold, Silver etc. So it is always difficult to decipher the COT
In any case as a private trader following and investing/trading Silver since 2016, I can only notice that there is a pressure so that prices do not rise too much...
Concerning your question about the funds. I can only refer you to the COT and this site where I made some donation. Legends are at the bottom. As you can see from the commercials (they can be much more net negative) and the funds can be much more net positive (see their net position at the beginning of this one year graph). So there is room for Silver to go higher. 35 dollars for Silver and 2200 dollars for gold are the expectation of Saxo Bank at the end of this year. In line with similar expectation for others institutions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-01-30_09-49-13.png
Views:	238
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	308604  
Thanked by:
Sagal
Strasbourg, France

Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 96

Still on...
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/reddit-investors-piling-into-silver-drive-up-prices-a-second-day-1.1556011

Best quotes and that it all the point about squeezing particularly for the one selling call options...they will think twice about that or they will quickly cover their positions by buying long futures which will contribute to increase the price...

Quoting 
Still, “in the very short term, I would think people would be cautious about holding a short in precious metals, irrespective of the fundamental view/what other markets are doing,” said Marcus Garvey, head of metals and bulks commodity strategy at Macquarie Group Ltd.

qwachu
Kalisz, Poland

Thanks Given: 97
Thanks Received: 65

I've found out that even people in Poland have jumped into GameStop trade (it's everywhere in polish investing chat rooms on discord).
Most of them buy the narrative that it's a fight against evil hedge-funds.

I wonder where it's heading...

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 990

futs View Post
This was kind of misleading. Robinhood is self clearing, they halted and limited trading. Tastyworks uses Apex Clearing, Apex halted the trading.

Here is the kicker:

Thanks for the reply. Do you think this is an anomaly or is it a "thing" now - a new way of trading. I would imagine it takes a boat load of money to carry off something like this. I presume it's not illegal or heads would be flying by now.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 3, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts