NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

WallStreetBets reddit (GME GameStop)

Discussion in Stocks and ETFs

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 28 posts (54 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 21 posts (76 thanks)
    3. looks_3 BertV with 20 posts (21 thanks)
    4. looks_4 forrestang with 16 posts (24 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one TheShrike with 4.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 3.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Silver Dragon with 3.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 39,282 views
    2. thumb_up 507 thanks given
    3. group 648 followers
    1. forum 243 posts
    2. attach_file 28 attachments

Search this Thread

WallStreetBets reddit (GME GameStop)

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,250
Thanks Received: 101,674

TheShrike View Post
The fact of the matter is the smart guys on the street made huge bets that blew up in their faces. That's normal and fine. Happens all the time on Wall Street. The part that they can't wrap their heads around is who handed them the loss. Retail never wins, so instead of everyone admitting that these guys got lucky on a 1 in a million shot, everyone is looking around to see how the "system" must have screwed up.

This.

Do you think WSB can get organized sufficiently again to pull this off once more?

Last night I was browsing reddit before bed, and I was seeing relentless spam in subreddits pushing NOK, AA, and even Dogecoin. Doge did make a run last night before everyone cashed out this morning when they woke up and saw it.

I don't think WSB should target crypto, the barrier to entry is too high to gain mass participation. Hell I literally watched Doge double last night and even I didn't touch it, because I was too lazy to transfer from Coinbase to KuCoin to trade it.

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Strategy stop orders partially filled
EasyLanguage Programming
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

SMCJB View Post
But social media and our politicians say otherwise? At the same time...

WSJ :- Robinhood Raises $1 Billion to Meet Surging Cash Demands
https://www.wsj.com/articles/robinhood-raises-1-billion-to-meet-surging-cash-demands-11611928504

I have avoided tagging some FCM's into this thread so they don't get pulled in. Do you know when Robinhood would be subject to putting up the extra cash? Is it overnight like us?

I have a hard time believing they were able to react quickly enough to pull down $600 billion in LOC to not be in violation at least one of the days. I see your link but didn't see something stating otherwise, did I miss it? Still drinking coffee...

Politicians are aligned because they think Robinhood acted against its users in order to protect its backers who also were short GME. I watched some of the CEO's interviews yesterday, including the one on Chris Cuomo where Chris actually grilled him a bit at the end and he seemed to really be doing poorly at answering... but I do believe this was not the case. I think it was straight up a cash requirement on deposit and not influence from their investor due to conflict of interest.

This also aligned with their statement yesterday about their intent to allow limited long buying today. They are limiting it based on their ability to cover their deposit requirements. This is my speculation.

Mike

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

Big Mike View Post
Do you know when Robinhood would be subject to putting up the extra cash? Is it overnight like us?

I don't. I would also point out that while in the futures world we normally post overnight, the exchange and FCMs have the right to call any time they want. I believe in 2008 CME was margining FCMs, twice per day, and not just overnight.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

First interview with Keith Gill/WSB's "DeepF—ingValue"/YouTube's "Roaring Kitty". Not as interesting as I would have liked, but a first look at the guy who started it all....

WSJ :- Keith Gill Drove the GameStop Reddit Mania. He Talked to the Journal.
Trader known as DeepF—ingValue on the WallStreetBets forum helped turn the investing world upside down. “I didn’t expect this.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/keith-gill-drove-the-gamestop-reddit-mania-he-talked-to-the-journal-11611931696

Guess he did well overall...
After Thursday’s market close, his E*Trade brokerage account, viewed by the Journal, held around $33 million, including GameStop stock, options and millions in cash.

TheShrike 
Bridgeport, Ct

Experience: None
Broker: Tasty
Trading: Fops
Thanks Given: 1,588
Thanks Received: 923

Big Mike View Post
This.

Do you think WSB can get organized sufficiently again to pull this off once more?

Last night I was browsing reddit before bed, and I was seeing relentless spam in subreddits pushing NOK, AA, and even Dogecoin. Doge did make a run last night before everyone cashed out this morning when they woke up and saw it.

I don't think WSB should target crypto, the barrier to entry is too high to gain mass participation. Hell I literally watched Doge double last night and even I didn't touch it, because I was too lazy to transfer from Coinbase to KuCoin to trade it.

Mike

Mike, I think there is a big disconnect in the discussions here, and in the news media surrounding what happened with GME and what actually goes on in the WSB subreddit.

You use the word "organized" above. You've read the sub, I've read the sub pretty regularly in the past few months. I don't think you can legitimately call what goes on there organization.

It's more of a mob brigading and seizing what is going on in the moment and then piling on to that latest cool thing that's happening. That happens to be a "war on hedge funds" at the moment.

A few months ago it was Tesla, a few months before that it was Purple Mattress, the cycle repeats over and over again. It's whatever is in the moment on the subreddit that the mob are willing to gamble on. They don't care. That's why you see every low priced stock with advertised short interest getting run up.

They simply do not care about the underlying. Anything with advertised short interest from Wall Street is in play right now. Anything. And, in a couple weeks or months this will die down, and the subreddit will be onto the next thing. That's the same reason there's nothing to really investigate here. A mob sparked a run on a stock with a huge short interest. It created a chain reaction and set off an epic short squeeze.

That's pretty much it.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

TheShrike View Post
You use the word "organized" above. You've read the sub, I've read the sub pretty regularly in the past few months. I don't think you can legitimately call what goes on there organization.

LOL well that's for sure

I actually don't read it. I just scroll past it rapidly in my feed, using Joey, 99% of the time. But you are right, it's chaos and not organized. Wrong choice of words, I guess I've been watching too many news channel reports on what's happening.

Mike

Thanked by:

Schnook 
Munich, Germany

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: liquid products
Thanks Given: 1,166
Thanks Received: 1,917

swinger View Post
Pension fund managers aren't the target investor base for an equity raise by the WSB names - the trapped shorts are. I'm sure every investment bank is urging all these companies to issue shares, and many of them will. It's practically management malfeasance to NOT raise equity at these inflated prices.

Very good point. And in fact I believe AMC is already planning a share sale.

Thanked by:

TheShrike 
Bridgeport, Ct

^

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amc-explodes-301-305m-share-075559466.html

Also I think it's funny that Andrew Left said they would stop publishing their short selling "research"

He didn't actually say Citron would stop short selling. Only that they're trying to remove the target off their backs by publishing short research AFTER they have their shorts in place. Hmm....

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/citron-stop-publishing-short-selling-143130686.html

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,530
Thanks Received: 26,292

TheShrike View Post
Mike, I think there is a big disconnect in the discussions here, and in the news media surrounding what happened with GME and what actually goes on in the WSB subreddit.

It's more of a mob brigading and seizing what is going on in the moment and then piling on to that latest cool thing that's happening. That happens to be a "war on hedge funds" at the moment.

A few months ago it was Tesla, a few months before that it was Purple Mattress, the cycle repeats over and over again. It's whatever is in the moment on the subreddit that the mob are willing to gamble on. They don't care. That's why you see every low priced stock with advertised short interest getting run up.

They simply do not care about the underlying. Anything with advertised short interest from Wall Street is in play right now. Anything. And, in a couple weeks or months this will die down, and the subreddit will be onto the next thing. That's the same reason there's nothing to really investigate here. A mob sparked a run on a stock with a huge short interest. It created a chain reaction and set off an epic short squeeze.

That's pretty much it.

This is well-said.

I wonder how many who got caught up in this really understood the situation they were getting into.

I'm not trying to be condescending. If you can squeeze the shorts that's a neat trick, and if you can do it in an over-priced stock that has a big short interest already it's even neater. It's also really, really risky. When the shorts have to cover it will push the stock up, sure. But if you are riding that surge and think it will take you to the moon, there's the fact that an overpriced stock that got more over-priced through a short squeeze is not a very stable thing to be long in. When the other holders start to sell, it will be a free-for-all to get out. Who knows where you would get out? Or if the markets would be at all orderly or liquid as you attempted to do so?

This is not a band of intrepid little guys putting it to the big guys. This is a lot of small traders who are finding out that nothing goes to the moon, and that there is never free money in the markets, especially something as intensely risky as riding this kind of wave.

I hope no one loses the rent money on this, but I imagine some will, when the dust settles.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote

TheShrike 
Bridgeport, Ct

bobwest View Post
This is well-said.

I wonder how many who got caught up in this really understood the situation they were getting into.

I'm not trying to be condescending. If you can squeeze the shorts that's a neat trick, and if you can do it in an over-priced stock that has a big short interest already it's even neater. It's also really, really risky. When the shorts have to cover it will push the stock up, sure. But if you are riding that surge and think it will take you to the moon, there's the fact that an overpriced stock that got more over-priced through a short squeeze is not a very stable thing to be long in. When the other holders start to sell, it will be a free-for-all to get out. Who knows where you would get out? Or if the markets would be at all orderly or liquid as you attempted to do so?

This is not a band of intrepid little guys putting it to the big guys. This is a lot of small traders who are finding out that nothing goes to the moon, and that there is never free money in the markets, especially something as intensely risky as riding this kind of wave.

I hope no one loses the rent money on this, but I imagine some will, when the dust settles.

Bob.

Right on Bob. This has morphed into a mania at this point. Tulip bulbs, dotcoms, beanie babies, etc. and we all know how those end. Not too good for the people holding the bag at the end.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 3, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts