NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Health

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one aquarian1 with 93 posts (56 thanks)
    2. looks_two Zondor with 31 posts (26 thanks)
    3. looks_3 sandptrader with 29 posts (9 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Itchymoku with 21 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Pariah Carey with 2.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Zondor with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 aquarian1 with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 212,552 views
    2. thumb_up 215 thanks given
    3. group 45 followers
    1. forum 292 posts
    2. attach_file 22 attachments

Search this Thread

Health

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB and free NT
Broker: IB
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,509
Thanks Received: 2,593

Pariah Carey View Post
It started with krav maga, which I began taking at the beginning of this year. Krav maga is a martial arts discipline developed in Israel. It is known for its brutal, simple, efficient style, which is just what I was looking for. It is not sport fighting.

.. krav maga has been great for me. I try to go three times a week, and it's a great workout. There is always at least one point during class where I just get utterly smoked and am gasping for air. It really conditions you. It also has opened up other areas for fitness and health improvement which I continue to work on, like diet, sleep and overall positive living. I'll talk more about these when I have more time.

Thanks for the post. I haven't included much in the thread on fitness - but of course it is a huge part of health.

Perhaps you would like to include some feedback on how long the workout lasts and how it is helped you feel better overall. What changes have you made to your diet? Do you feel more positive about your trading - that is better attitude and more able to cope with the pressures? Do you sleep better, now?

peace, love and joy to you
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Pariah Carey 
Memphis TN
Legendary E-mini dictator for life

Platform: Thinkorswim
Broker: TDAmeritrade
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 158
Thanks Received: 3,672

Krav classes are an hour long. I try to do one during the week at night and two on Saturday. They also offer kickboxing which I haven't done but am thinking about. Boxing, or any type of striking work is serious exercise, and boxers are some of the most conditioned athletes in the world. The work they put in to get ready for a bout is intense. Try three minutes on a punching bag and see how you feel. In a fight boxers do that 10 times or more, all while trying not to get beat up.

I've got this covered structure on my property, like a small barn without any walls, and I hung a 100 pound punching bag from the rafters. On days I don't go to class I'll work on that and it's great. I can move 360 degrees around it and get a great workout.

I also do other types of workouts at home which are probably more intense than what I do in class. And I use minimal equipment. A lot of what I do is just using body weight. I do a lot of burpees, push ups, crunches, plank rows, mountain climbers, squat jumps, Russian twists, and a few other things I don't know the names of. The key for me is doing high intensity interval training. I'm real big on tabatas. That's where you exercise in short, intense bursts with short breaks in between.

I've got a timer app on my phone with an alarm bell and a whistle. My typical workout is 40 seconds work, 10 seconds rest, four times. That's one set. Do that for 30 minutes with a couple minutes rest in between each set. I do this three times a week at home, then on top of that three classes a week.

Do I feel better? I think so. Gives you more energy and just makes you feel better about life. And it's nice to get compliments. Once you get on a fitness or diet routine, and people start noticing, that's huge motivation to keep doing it. I ran into an ex-girlfriend recently. She was kind of eyeing me up and down and like, "Wow, you look good. You been going to the gym?" And I'm like...yeah. Even guys will say things to me. "Dude, you're looking ripped these days!"

I'll talk more about diet and sleep, but gotta get back to work now.

Money make ya handsome
Thanked by:

Pariah Carey 
Memphis TN

Regarding my diet, that too has changed as I've gotten older. Not radically, just subtly over the years as you realize you can no longer eat whatever you want, however much you want, and not gain a pound. I used to be that way, then one day I realized I was actually starting to put on weight.

I've heard that humans on average gain about a pound a year as they age. You definitely have to incorporate some basic changes into your lifestyle if you want to avoid that. Once they become habits, though, they're not too difficult.

I'm not on any special diets, and I don't eat any weird foods. I just have some simple rules I abide by: avoid processed, junk foods, avoid sweets and sugars, avoid alcohol, eat lots of fresh stuff (fruits, vegetables, lean meats, fish), make your meals small, and don't eat late at night.

I don't have a strict diet, I just try to eat things that are low in calories and high in protein. For breakfast I have Greek yogurt with fruit and/or granola, then an egg and some meat on the side. I usually don't do lunch. Instead I have several small meals during the day. I might have a protein bar with peanut butter later in the morning, then early afternoon I'll have a shake.

I love shakes. There are so many different ways you can make them. My favorite right now is a soy milk, a handful of spinach, a spoon of peanut butter, maybe some flax seed, and a small scoop of whey protein powder. Blend it all together and you don't even taste the spinach (though it does turn green). Great way to get your vegetables. Sometimes I use kale, but that's real tough and doesn't get chopped up as well in the blender.

This is also my post-workout shake, except I use mostly water instead of milk and I put in a whole scoop of protein powder. I used to put in two scoops but it gave me headaches. One scoop is enough.

Later on in the day I'll have a handful of nuts and some berries as a snack. On the way home I'll eat an apple. Dinner is light, like some grilled meat with rice and vegetables.

I'm really trying to cut down on alcohol. I've never been a heavy drinker, but it used to be typical for me to come home after a long day and have a beer or two, maybe a couple fingers of whiskey. You do that a few times a week as you get older and it's going to show. What I try to do now is not drink at all Monday-Friday. My favorite non-alcohol drink is club soda with a splash of cranberry juice and lime. It's so refreshing! I almost never drink sodas like coke. On weekends I'll let myself imbibe a little. Yesterday was Saturday, and I had a glass of wine in the afternoon and a beer before going out to dinner. Something else I'm trying to do is not drink alcohol when I go out. Expensive! Last night at dinner I just had my club soda and cranberry. It's much cheaper to drink at home.

I used to enjoy things like alcohol, desserts, and fried food. Once you realize you don't need it, though, it's not too hard to go without. But you do have to make it a habit. And the choice has to be within you. If nothing else, just make your consumption of these things real small. Like with a piece of chocolate cake, don't have the whole thing. Just have one bite, then put it away. One bite's not going to do any harm.

Money make ya handsome
Thanked by:

Pariah Carey 
Memphis TN

I wish I could get 10 hours of sleep a night. At best I get 8, and sometimes less. Most days I wake up early, like 5.30-6, because I've got so many things to do in the morning. At this point my body is so used to it that it's hard for me to sleep past that. If I don't set an alarm I'm probably going to wake up at 6.30.

I try to have lights out by 10, though I might not get to sleep until a little after that. I think eating light at night and not drinking alcohol helps. There have been stressful periods in my life where I'd wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning and not be able to get back to sleep, but I haven't had one of those in a while.

Early to bed, early to rise is still good advice.

Money make ya handsome
Thanked by:

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

sugar

Pariah Carey 
Memphis TN

Wives of former NFL players are left to navigate concussion settlement

Powerful article here. I don't really have much of an opinion on the National Football League's role in CTE, or why so many of their former players who made them so much money over the years now have oatmeal where they used to have a brain. Don't get me wrong, I like to watch a game now and then, but the NFL exists for pretty much only two reasons: 1, to earn as much money as they can for themselves, and 2, make the average American fat, lazy and stupid. So my level of trust, you could say is pretty low.

It's a sad situation all around for the family members who are left to pick up the pieces. And it drives home the point once again that if you and your loved ones are in good health, you're blessed. Cherish it.

Money make ya handsome

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Ever wonder about what happened to

"First, do no harm."
and
"Let food be your medicine."
?

Greed.
---------------------------
Don't Take The Drugs Your Doctor Gave You Until You Read This | Zero Hedge

You walk into your doctor’s office for a physical exam and step on the scale. Last year, the doctor said you were overweight. Now he says you are obese — at the same weight.

A nurse takes your blood pressure. You have hypertension — with the same previously healthy reading you’ve had for years.

The doctor scans your wrist bone. You have a condition called “osteopenia” — with the same bone density that was fine last time you were measured…

You are suddenly sick, simply because the definitions of disease have changed. And behind those changes, a Seattle Times examination has found, are the companies that make all those newly prescribed pills.

--
Basically, 66% of the highly cited studies could not really be trusted. There just was not enough evidence of their findings to take them as solid truth. 32% of the studies should have been ruled out altogether, since later better studies found the results incorrect or highly exaggerated.

The issue is that the drugs themselves can cause serious harm and side effects. Many have not been studied over the course of enough years to be accurately labeled as safe. Doctors are prescribing the drugs to younger and younger patients since the threshold for each illness, and who is at risk, has been lowered, with the influence of the drug companies.

The best thing to do is make every effort to avoid ever having to use mainstream medicine. Excercise and eating right is a good start.

And for herbal remedies to some common, and some serious, conditions, check out The Green Pharmacy by James Duke. You might find that ginger and pineapple are a better anti-inflammatory option than the stomach churning over the counter pills.

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Right of Informed Consent means the doctor is required to :
  • tell of a second diagnosis
  • tell you all the side effects of his/her prescription
  • offer you a second choice and
  • explain the effects of no prescription.

Did your MD do this?
Did he/she fully inform you of ALL side possible side effects?
No?

Next time you go to an MD - should you be so foolish or desperate, bring your own

Infomed Consent Form

In the blanks complete
"side effect I was warned of - none."

Second treatment offered:
"None"

Explanation of no likely outcome of no treatment/prescription that was offered:
"none"

Then hand it to your MD and ask them to sign it under the words
"This is an accurate description of the counsel I offered."

------signature --------
Name Printed ----------
Date -----
City and State/Prov of Signing ------------

===========
That otta be good for a laugh!

scarell 
Gaibesville

everything begins with consciousness ... we can cure ourselves with the power of thought, and fall ill...without fanaticism of course, but it works

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Queen’s University student Caitlin Miron receiving the 2017 Mitacs Award for Outstanding Innovation in Ottawa, Ontario

Caitlin Miron has found something huge: A week ago she was honoured for discovering a chemical compound with the ability to prevent cancer growth, but it could also have significant applications in halting the spread of HIV, too. In an exclusive interview with Yahoo Canada News, the Ontario PhD student revealed why her discovery could be more far-reaching — for everything from HIV to Zika — than originally reported.

“There is also a quadruplex forming sequence in an area of HIV that’s responsible for infection of a human host,” Caitlin Miron, the PhD student at Queen’s University, Department of Chemistry who identified the compound said to Yahoo Canada News.

Miron’s research starts with the study of DNA. Most people have likely seen the double helix model of DNA but in our cells, to access the information in that double helix, the DNA has to become temporarily single-stranded.

Miron uses a necklace as an analogy for how single-stranded DNA functions. The strand of DNA is the chain of the necklace and then beads, or cellular machinery that reads and processes DNA to make proteins, are able to move freely along that chain.

“They can keep doing that until they come to a knot,” Miron said. “Usually the cell has a way to unravel that knot but if somebody’s gone there first and used superglue on that knot,…it is basically a permanent object and it’s a barrier so the beads can’t get passed it.”

The knot is an unusual fold of DNA, a guanine quadruplex or G4, and the newly discovered compound is that superglue that stabilizes the unusual architecture and blocks access to specific sections that come after it.

According to Miron, in the last ten years, research and advances in bioinformatics has show that a number of these knots can form directly in front of oncogenes, sections of DNA that if processed make proteins that contribute to cancer development and metastasis, which is the term used to describe cancer that spreads to a different part of the body from where it began.

“If we can block that process from happening, then maybe we’re going to be able to prevent certain aspects of cancer development or metastasis,” Miron said.

Through Miron’s research, it has also been discovered that this compound’s affects could move beyond cancer treatment.

“These knots are also known to form in a lot of different viruses, the Zika virus has one, so there are applications outside of cancer treatment,” Miron said.

In terms of the possible use in cancer treatment in particular, Miron says that there are different knots in different quadruplexes, some of which can be associated with most cancers and some that are more specific.

“At least one of [the knots] that leads to cancer cell immortality, that ability to continue dividing over and over again, is associate with about 85 per cent of cancers,” Miron said. “There is a little bit of potential specificity in there but it may also be something that could be broad spectrum, we don’t know at this point.”
Beginning her research

The Ottawa native started her journey with Dr. Anne Petitjean at her lab at Queen’s University. Morin began volunteering over the course of her undergraduate degree, initially in biochemistry but switching to chemistry after loving her time in the lab. She was initially drawn to the study of DNA in high school, which continued to motivate her research interests throughout her undergraduate degree and into her PhD.

A significant turning point in Miron’s research occurred when the PhD student received scholarships from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) and Mitacs Globalink as travel supplements to study her compounds from the Petitjean lab in Kingston, Ontario at the European Institute of Chemistry and Biology (IECB) in Bordeaux, France, under the supervision of Dr. Jean-Louis Mergny.

“Dr. Jean-Louis Mergny is probably one of the top researchers in the field of guanine quadruplex recognition,” Miron said. “They’ve pioneered this kind of high throughput screening platform that you can test a very large number of compounds to generate hits.”

When Miron arrived at the IECB, she did not have extensive experience with Mergny’s particular study of G4 and she had to learn a lot in the field, using the chemical compounds she brought over from Queen’s University.

“It wasn’t a field of research that we weren’t particularly based in so I had very little experience with the techniques that I was going to have to learn and the field itself,” Miron said. “It was mostly a matter of just getting there and diving in and asking questions and going from expert to expert with my compounds.”
Current status and future plans

At this point in the discovery, the provisional patent has been filed and publishing these findings would be the next step in the process. It could take a year before the formal patent is filed and additional research is required before it could be formally introduced to the medical industry.

“We are trying to think about how can we make these compounds more targeted to cancer cells, how can we improve their entrance through a cell membrane into a cell, all those things for biocompatibility, that will be important down the line for pharmaceuticals,” Miron said.

With this great success in research and significant notoriety, Miron has been wrapping up the work she has done with the Petitjean lab and the IECB, and is also focusing on bringing the techniques that she learned in France to Queen’s University. The PhD student was honoured to be recognized for the 2017 Mitacs Award for Outstanding Innovation, calling the whole process and subsequent acknowledgment from Kirsty Duncan, Minister of Science and Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, an “emotional” experience.

“It’s a nice validation of the importance of the research and our progress in moving it forward,” Miron said.

As she continues to advance in her career, Miron has her mind set on working in industry versus academia, and is also interested in expanding her scope of research as she plans to move into a post-doctoral program, possibly even leaving her compound discovery behind for others at the Petitjean lab to continue.

“I would like to see where it goes but at the same time, if the last four years have taught me anything it’s that I also really like learning new things, and exploring new fields and getting that kind of multidisciplinary research,” Miron said. “I would like to stay in health applications but I don’t think I would limit myself to just cancer research, I’m definitely interested in looking at other things as well.”

source:
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/exclusive-canadian-students-discovery-prevent-cancer-hiv-233721464.html

Last Updated on June 18, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts