NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Daily profit measured by volatility

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 28 posts (8 thanks)
    2. looks_two markbrown with 8 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Silvester17 with 6 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 wldman with 5 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Private Banker with 6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two wldman with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Silvester17 with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 12,762 views
    2. thumb_up 35 thanks given
    3. group 7 followers
    1. forum 63 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

Daily profit measured by volatility

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: NT 8, TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5,139
Thanks Received: 11,527

Silvester17 View Post
@Big Mike

how did get that number?

mine is more like 12.50 points for rth session.

I think I made a mistake. it's more like 11.02 points adr for 48 trading days so far this year.

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
16 thanks
The Trading Pit "Futures VIP" Account Journal
13 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
12 thanks
Trading with Intuition
12 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
10 thanks
 mongoose 
Chicago, IL

Platform: oil super computer
Trading: multiple
Thanks Given: 817
Thanks Received: 433

Big Mike View Post
New poll on forum homepage, please vote there and discuss here.

What is your daily profit objective, per contract, as measured by % of ADR (average daily range)?

For example, if the average daily range is 40 ticks, and your objective with 1 contract is to capture 4 ticks, that would be 10%.

Mike

I think your wording may be kind of confusing, I would switch the ticks and the percentage. Something like, if the adr is 40 ticks and your looking to capture 10 percent of that, your goal would be 4 ticks. Same thing just slightly different because your objective is the percentage, the ticks are just what it currently equates to.

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Broker: IB, ToS
Trading: /ES, US Equities/Options
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 2,077
Thanks Received: 9,569

be a surprise. @Big Mike.

I've been trading over twenty years and I have never heard of a daily profit goal as a percentage per contract of average daily range. Maybe I'm old school or a retard...but I intend to make more than the entire range every day on a per contract basis. Why would anyone design to make less than everything offered during the time they where open for business? A daily goal short of perfection in my mind is a limitation.

While ADR is remarkably constant, I have no way of knowing what it will be or when it will or wont move so the concept is not something I am familiar or comfortable with. Like almost everyone I have losing days from time to time. Some days I leave the desk and read a book. I fish every time I get an offer. If I don't have anything better to do I trade. When I trade I try to take every penny.

Could you explain the metric please? I'll read the post again to see if I understand better after dinner. DB

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Do not understand. Is it important to have such a goal defined this way? If it is, whose authority makes it so? I would define a day in which I captured a number of ticks greater than the daily range as a good day. But that is not what you mean, I am sure.

Should I have a daily profit goal?

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,257
Thanks Received: 101,702

Silvester17 View Post
I think I made a mistake. it's more like 11.02 points adr for 48 trading days so far this year.

Can you post your bar data in the Homework thread, so we can compare the bar data I used vs yours?

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

wldman View Post
be a surprise. @Big Mike.

I've been trading over twenty years and I have never heard of a daily profit goal as a percentage per contract of average daily range. Maybe I'm old school or a retard...but I intend to make more than the entire range every day on a per contract basis. Why would anyone design to make less than everything offered during the time they where open for business? A daily goal short of perfection in my mind is a limitation.

While ADR is remarkably constant, I have no way of knowing what it will be or when it will or wont move so the concept is not something I am familiar or comfortable with. Like almost everyone I have losing days from time to time. Some days I leave the desk and read a book. I fish every time I get an offer. If I don't have anything better to do I trade. When I trade I try to take every penny.

Could you explain the metric please? I'll read the post again to see if I understand better after dinner. DB

Hi Dan,

It's just an exercise to get people thinking. I know of several big traders who think this way, but I am not surprised that most don't. It's also entirely possible my wording has lead to a lot of confusion.

So let's say the ADR is 40 ticks. My goal is to ask people how much their daily profit objective is, in terms of % of ADR. You need to calculate this on a 1-lot basis. If you take 10 trades a day for 4 ticks each, regardless of position size for each trade, then you would get 40 ticks or 100% of ADR. Of course other answers could even be more than 100% of ADR, although I think if someone honestly reviews say 100 or 1000 live trades, that is improbable.

Personally I also factor in commission into this. So net ticks per 1-lot / ADR.

Mike

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

wldman View Post
Do not understand. Is it important to have such a goal defined this way? If it is, whose authority makes it so? I would define a day in which I captured a number of ticks greater than the daily range as a good day. But that is not what you mean, I am sure.

Should I have a daily profit goal?

I just want to get people thinking. Discussion about such things is fruitful in my opinion, much more so than discussions on where to enter a trade or what indicators are showing.

I am sure there are smarter or more accurate ways to frame the question.

Is it important? Well, it is important to me. It is important to several other traders whom I respect. But we are all different naturally.

If I am only taking 10% out of the market daily, then to me that is a useful metric and something which I can look to improve. It means the market gave me a lot more opportunity than I was able to capitalize on.

Mike

Thanked by:

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

I will take a look at that as a performance metric. Still a little hard to define for me. Like asking a baseball player what his goal is for reaching base. Wouldn't the answer be every time. The metric, on base percentage would include a couple different items, but I'd say that a player whose goal is less than 100% is not worth his salt as a pro. Now there is a difference between goal and performance metric as both trading and baseball are not "games of perfection" Either way, I do not have a specific goal in ticks or dollars or % of range.

I want to trade well. To trade well is to make lots of money. So each day I review each trade for it's specific result and against what opportunity was there at the time. Sometimes a 50 tick trade is a failure and sometimes a 7 tick loser was a great trade. My goal is to trade well, the rest takes care of itself.

When you hosted that author Denise she mentioned something that I sort of did, but since I absolutely do. That is to focus on the bottom 20% of trades and look to improve or eliminate. It is a freaking beautiful thing when the bottom 20% of a period's trades includes winning trades. I believe that if my focus is there, on trading well that is a better metric, goal, outcome than hitting a percentage of a daily range. Does than make sense? Thanks for the interesting poll question and debate. Dan

Thanked by:

empty 
Louisville, Kentucky

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart, TastyTrade
Broker: Various
Trading: Futures, Options
Thanks Given: 1,938
Thanks Received: 195

Big Mike View Post
I just want to get people thinking. Discussion about such things is fruitful in my opinion, much more so than discussions on where to enter a trade or what indicators are showing.

I am sure there are smarter or more accurate ways to frame the question.

Is it important? Well, it is important to me. It is important to several other traders whom I respect. But we are all different naturally.

If I am only taking 10% out of the market daily, then to me that is a useful metric and something which I can look to improve. It means the market gave me a lot more opportunity than I was able to capitalize on.

Mike

I think now you're getting to the heart of the question. The distinction between a goal and a metric is what could be confusing. Perhaps what is helpful is to know what % of daily ATR are you capturing on average. Secondly what % of ATR do you seek to achieve in your trading. Some would suggest the second question should always be at least 100% but perhaps frame it in terms of next steps.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

Platform: NT 8, TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5,139
Thanks Received: 11,527

Big Mike View Post
So far the early voters are indicating they don't have a plan to capture a certain amount of movement from the market.

Why does this not surprise me?

Mike

I think it also depends how you trade, what kind of a trader you are.

here're some extreme examples:

- the market shoots up 50 points, one big move, one swing. but it doesn't offer me a good opportunity to enter on a pullback. so the adr is 50 points and I don't get anything.

- now the market goes up 10 points, then down 10 points and up 10 points etc. it does that 10 times. so 10 x 10 point swings. the adr is still 10 points. but I might be able to catch 5 points out of every swing, leaving me with 50 points at the end of the day.

like I said those are extreme and not very likely examples, but you get the idea. so to compare your trade results to a naked adr number doesn't make much sense to me.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 11, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts