NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Time to Give Up

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 30 posts (483 thanks)
    2. looks_two HoopyTrading with 18 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kronie with 17 posts (22 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Rory with 17 posts (33 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one FXwulf with 28.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two wldman with 23.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Massive l with 18 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 16.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 193,395 views
    2. thumb_up 2,595 thanks given
    3. group 246 followers
    1. forum 591 posts
    2. attach_file 12 attachments

Search this Thread

Time to Give Up

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: Something moving
Thanks Given: 2,335
Thanks Received: 2,524

Big Mike View Post
So David let me ask a blunt question... hope you don't mind or take offense... why do you believe trading is right for you?

OK let me back up to be fair. Do you believe that anyone can be profitable at trading? Or do you believe that some people are not cut out for it? Some believe any skill can be learned, others believe that there are some things they should accept are not their strong suits and move on.

Mike

Now that it's been a decade or so since this question (Do you believe that anyone can be profitable at trading?) was posed to me I'll answer it again since I probably did a decade ago. Do I believe anyone can be profitable? A decade or more ago I thought the answer was yes. Now I believe the answer is no. I will put a caveat to that no. I do think if a person is failing at trading and is fortunate enough to have a "mentor", "coach", "partner", "hand holder" or whatever you want to call it that is profitable, and has the necessary disciplines to be profitable then the odds may increase for that individual to improve and succeed. I think that if one is struggling and not finding any success and left to themselves to find the way then no. Sure, there are those that turn it around, but I believe that is a rarity. I still have a difficult time admitting that it's time to give up. It's like I want to keep the door open even though deep down it s probably futile.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: National Bank Direct
Broker: NBD/BMO/Questrade
Trading: Stocks
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 185
Thanks Received: 4,076

David_R View Post
Now that it's been a decade or so since this question (Do you believe that anyone can be profitable at trading?) was posed to me I'll answer it again since I probably did a decade ago. Do I believe anyone can be profitable? A decade or more ago I thought the answer was yes. Now I believe the answer is no. I will put a caveat to that no. I do think if a person is failing at trading and is fortunate enough to have a "mentor", "coach", "partner", "hand holder" or whatever you want to call it that is profitable, and has the necessary disciplines to be profitable then the odds may increase for that individual to improve and succeed. I think that if one is struggling and not finding any success and left to themselves to find the way then no. Sure, there are those that turn it around, but I believe that is a rarity. I still have a difficult time admitting that it's time to give up. It's like I want to keep the door open even though deep down it s probably futile.

I haven't gone thru the whole thread so you may have answered this before.

There are several reasons why traders fail.

My top reasons are:
No trading plan.
Not having the discipline to follow your plan.
Unrealistic expectations
There are several others.

If you had to come up with the main reason you failed what would it be?

"The days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
Thanked by:
 Arch 
W.Coast, USA.

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Anything
Trading: Emini
Thanks Given: 106
Thanks Received: 381

deaddog View Post
I haven't gone thru the whole thread so you may have answered this before.

There are several reasons why traders fail.

My top reasons are:
No trading plan.
Not having the discipline to follow your plan.
Unrealistic expectations
There are several others.

Third one, assuming you have a plan, is probably the most common.

Thanked by:

blackgrey45 
Marco Island, FL
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: AMP Global
Trading: MCL MES
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 910

deaddog View Post

Letting losses get out of hand, one trade wiped half my account on several occasions.

Thanked by:

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

Arch View Post
Third one, assuming you have a plan, is probably the most common.

Honestly, this is a difficult question because it seems like it's not just one thing.

Yes, I have had trading plans, and yes, I have failed to follow them.

No trading plan. NO AND YES.
Not having the discipline to follow your plan. YES
Unrealistic expectations. I DON'T THINK SO. I NEVER FELT LIKE THIS WAS A GET RICH QUICK THING. I DO BELIEVE IT CAN BE A VERY GOOD LIVING IF SUCCESSFUL.

There are several others: FOMO, Fear of losing (this fear grows the more you lose), Impatience, revenge trading and bouncing around to different approaches when one seems to not work out. I think I can count at least 4 methods I've posted on this site that I was using at one time or another.

Thanked by:

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

David_R View Post
Honestly, this is a difficult question because it seems like it's not just one thing.

Unrealistic expectations. I DON'T THINK SO. I NEVER FELT LIKE THIS WAS A GET RICH QUICK THING. I DO BELIEVE IT CAN BE A VERY GOOD LIVING IF SUCCESSFUL.

There are several others: FOMO, Fear of losing (this fear grows the more you lose), Impatience, revenge trading and bouncing around to different approaches when one seems to not work out. I think I can count at least 4 methods I've posted on this site that I was using at one time or another.

Start with the main reason. Looking back at your trades, does any one reason stand out as the biggest reason for your struggles.

"The days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
Thanked by:

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

deaddog View Post
Start with the main reason. Looking back at your trades, does any one reason stand out as the biggest reason for your struggles.

That's a tough question. This has been a long road to get to this point. I don't think I had as many issues when I started out, but that could be completely wrong, otherwise why move from method to method like I did. I've always come back to the same conclusion regarding the struggles and that is the lack of patience and discipline.

Thanked by:

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

David_R View Post
That's a tough question. This has been a long road to get to this point. I don't think I had as many issues when I started out, but that could be completely wrong, otherwise why move from method to method like I did. I've always come back to the same conclusion regarding the struggles and that is the lack of patience and discipline.

It might be a tough question but if you are going to move forward it has to be answered.

Lack of patience and discipline can be fixed. You'll probably say you don't know how but my guess is you do know. It's just something you don't feel you have to do right now.

I did the same thing when I started out. It didn't matter how many books I read that said keep your losses small, ride your winners and manage your capital, I felt that advise didn't appy to me. I was more interested in finding the secret that all successful traders knew. The perfect indicator, the perfect set-up where every trade was a winner. I finally realized that the secret was keep your losses small etc.

Thanked by:

Kaimu 
Madrid - Spain

Trading: ES,NQ
Thanks Given: 883
Thanks Received: 346

David_R View Post

Seems you have number 2 clear in your mind. Think in one thing at your live that you have the discipline to do it and how much effort take you to do it. Then, try to find the reason. Let me know.

Thanked by:

Kaimu 
Madrid - Spain

Trading: ES,NQ
Thanks Given: 883
Thanks Received: 346

Hi @David_R

Did you find any example in your life about discipline and how much effort takes you to do it?

About, FOMO, revenge trading...all is related to your beliefs about money. One of your beliefs expressed above is trading can be a good living mode. Loses and winners are always balanced around this belief. This belief is also an expectation and it's the reason why you are failing. Are you aware of that?

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 13, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts