NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Time to Give Up

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 30 posts (483 thanks)
    2. looks_two HoopyTrading with 18 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kronie with 17 posts (22 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Rory with 17 posts (33 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one FXwulf with 28.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two wldman with 23.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Massive l with 18 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 16.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 193,838 views
    2. thumb_up 2,595 thanks given
    3. group 246 followers
    1. forum 591 posts
    2. attach_file 12 attachments

Search this Thread

Time to Give Up

forgiven 
Fletcher NC
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: nijia trader
Broker: A.M.P. I.Q. ....C.Q.G.
Trading: ym es
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Days
Thanks Given: 287
Thanks Received: 581

If the truth was told , everyone that has tried their hand at trading have experienced things as bad or likely worse . It is not over until you say it is over . From reading this tread I remember the times I gave up . What made me want to through in the towel, was when I realized there was no way I could use the leverage necessary to generate a six figure income trading . For me to be profitable trading I could not only risk .50 to 1.0 of my trading account on any trade . I still had draw downs but I could be green by years end swing trading . If you can not take 10 to 15 losing trades in a row and still have close to 90 % of your account left , you will blow it up at some point . It is a mathematical certainty . For me to make it worth while spending the time on it I was Changes would have to be made .

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,526
Thanks Received: 26,292

forgiven View Post
If the truth was told , everyone that has tried their hand at trading have experienced things as bad or likely worse . It is not over until you say it is over . From reading this tread I remember the times I gave up .

I don't have any particular advice to add to this, but I will say that it is true, and I think everyone goes through this. Also, I do not know in any one case whether someone will succeed or fail, nor how to do the succeeding instead of the failing. I just know that banging your head against the wall is part of the deal, for better or worse.

I hope things work out for everyone, but all I can offer is that "it is not over until you say it is over." Whichever choice you make will be the right one, because you are the chooser.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, in fact the opposite. But we have all been there, and likely will be again. I hope it works out for you, David, however you choose.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

@derivativesnyc, you may not have seen what this thread is about.

It is about people who are wondering if it is time for them to give up trading, and the things they are thinking and experiencing as they consider that. It is also for people who want to discuss the difficult issues of trading, or who want to provide perspectives that will help. Your post, where you tell us about your "smooth upward equity run curve every day," and how your trading is a "veritable ATM cash machine," is both off-topic and a little odd in that context.

If you want to discuss your trading, that is fine, and I am sure others would like to know more, if you want to start a new thread on it, and if you do so to provide value to other traders. Just not where it's so completely the opposite of the thread topic. [Corrected: see "Edit" below.]

Please pay attention to where you are posting and to the issues that are being discussed there.

Thanks.

Bob.

----------------------

Edit: see the Moderator Notice posted the next day, after user stated that he is a fund manager. User was warned about commercial self-promotion, and that he cannot post anything that refers to his trading results or otherwise suggests that someone should be interested in his business.

Thanked by:
 derivativesnyc   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 4

forgiven View Post
post the link to your educational web sight .

I run a PRIVATE fund, not external client investment or educational sites/courses.

Miesto 
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 801
Thanks Received: 1,194

derivativesnyc View Post
I run a fund, not educational sites/courses

Aha, so I guess the message is when you're unable to make a profit in the markets and thinking about quitting you better give your money to an apparently successful fund manager who will then make stellar returns for you without any drawdowns?

But all we are interested in are the details how you do it. I am excited to hear but please in another thread. Better start a thread yourself to keep things clear. Thanks, looking forward to it.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

derivativesnyc View Post
I run a fund, not educational sites/courses

Moderator Notice
Moderator Notice

Thanked by:

Mies View Post
Aha, so I guess the message is when you're unable to make a profit in the markets and thinking about quitting you better give your money to an apparently successful fund manager who will then make stellar returns for you without any drawdowns?

But all we are interested in are the details how you do it. I am excited to hear but please in another thread. Better start a thread yourself to keep things clear. Thanks, looking forward to it.

To clarify, it's a PRIVATE vehicle, not for external clients, the fund is just an entity structure for my own investments. No external solicitation was intended.

bobwest View Post
@derivativesnyc, you may not have seen what this thread is about.

It is about people who are wondering if it is time for them to give up trading, and the things they are thinking and experiencing as they consider that. It is also for people who want to discuss the difficult issues of trading, or who want to provide perspectives that will help. Your post, where you tell us about your "smooth upward equity run curve every day," and how your trading is a "veritable ATM cash machine," is both off-topic and a little odd in that context.

If you want to discuss your trading, that is fine, and I am sure others would like to know more, if you want to start a new thread on it, and if you do so to provide value to other traders. Just not where it's so completely the opposite of the thread topic. [Corrected: see "Edit" below.]

Please pay attention to where you are posting and to the issues that are being discussed there.

Thanks.

Bob.

----------------------

Edit: see the Moderator Notice posted the next day, after user stated that he is a fund manager. User was warned about commercial self-promotion, and that he cannot post anything that refers to his trading results or otherwise suggests that someone should be interested in his business.

Hi Bobwest, thanks for the clarification. The "fund" is just a PRIVATE vehicle entity for my own capital, not external clientele. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding, as no solicitation was intended. Please reinstate former status, thanks in advance.

forgiven 
Fletcher NC
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: nijia trader
Broker: A.M.P. I.Q. ....C.Q.G.
Trading: ym es
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Days
Thanks Given: 287
Thanks Received: 581

derivativesnyc View Post
Hi Bobwest, thanks for the clarification. The "fund" is just a PRIVATE vehicle entity for my own capital, not external clientele. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding, as no solicitation was intended. Please reinstate former status, thanks in advance.

Well , I am happy you got this cleared up . With the results you are getting , go to the thread top trading course and share your educational journey . I am supper interested along with others , how you got there . Traders helping other traders is the idea behind this forum and why it is the largest and best resource out there . pitch in and help others if you can . Try to make a difference . you will be happy about that .

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 Miesto 
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 801
Thanks Received: 1,194

forgiven View Post
Well , I am happy you got this cleared up . With the results you are getting , go to the thread top trading course and share your educational journey . I am supper interested along with others , how you got there . Traders helping other traders is the idea behind this forum and why it is the largest and best resource out there . pitch in and help others if you can . Try to make a difference . you will be happy about that .

Don't hold your breath, 6 posts since 2011.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 13, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts