NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading natural gas futures

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 185 posts (360 thanks)
    2. looks_two myrrdin with 21 posts (41 thanks)
    3. looks_3 ron99 with 20 posts (50 thanks)
    4. looks_4 jokertrader with 17 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one ron99 with 2.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two myrrdin with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 1.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Symple with 1.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 89,965 views
    2. thumb_up 557 thanks given
    3. group 71 followers
    1. forum 368 posts
    2. attach_file 49 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading natural gas futures

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

SMCJB View Post
This is a podcast/interview with John Arnold "widely regarded as the greatest natural gas trader of all time". It's very long at over 2 hours but one of the very few times I have ever heard John talk about trading so openly. The first hour is entirely about how John got into trading, and his time at Enron and Centaurus, and why he left trading. The later 75 mins is about his philanthropic work which is also very interesting but obviously less relevant to this thread.

The Peter Attia MD Podcast.

https://peterattiamd.com/johnarnold/

#125 – John Arnold: The most prolific philanthropist you may not have heard of "I always recognized the limited social value of trading. I think there is a need for someone to provide risk warehousing and liquidity to markets, but trying to tell the story about how I was adding value or contributing to society was hard. And that always bothered me." — John Arnold

Another good interview with John Arnold.

I'd challenge his timeology with regards to ICE and Enron Online. ICE was very much formed after Enron Online, and as a response to Enron Online, and not the other way around. Also funny listening to 31 year olds talk about things that happened 20 years ago as if they were they rather than being in elementary school!

The Story of John Arnold - The King of Natural Gas Trading

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Cutloss 
Midway florida

So I met John Arnold at a party and he was just starting out and headed to vegas out of Denver. he had all of 8 million of his own money to start his hedge fund. I was and still am very good friends with his sometimes joggin partner who traded near him at ENRON and she moved onto another physical gas company to trade for and he started his fund. obviously landing t.boone pickens as your number one client helps you with information and clout but make no mistake Arnold Traded well and big. Apparently drank coffee like it was water.

She had a book that was John's about natural gas trading and she let me borrow it for a month. At the time is was over my head on a whole lot of levels so i pretty much handed it back to her and
said i have no idea what is in here that makes sense to him and she said me either.

Cutloss 
Midway florida

I tried over and over to get in front of him again to talk trading or hey can i come work for you but his fund was grwoing so rapidly and kicking so much as so rpaidly and then he went for broke with an enormous trade against Brian at Ama that of coure he had the real info on the salt mines and of course t boone could click buttons and natural gas well i tjust disappears you guys so yesterday you had huge supply and walla right before a heat wave all of sudden the salt caverns are left open for a few days and it guess what that odorles gas just diappears and you end up making billions against another smart trader who just beleived in teh math so much and the stats as if they are ever real that he just kept pushing thinking he could man handle it but no t boone was in it and he would not stop adding money until he won and thats the difference between trading and poker. .you are playing poker with BILLIONAIRES who will do anything not to lose AKA GME .. archegon you name it they will push these markets around even the indexes.. beware.

Cutloss 
Midway florida

this is the book along with another one but i dont remember the other one. it was just more swap examples and option payoffs etc.
ScreenHunter 20595

Cutloss 
Midway florida

ScreenHunter 20596

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.

Cutloss View Post
this is the book along with another one but i dont remember the other one. it was just more swap examples and option payoffs etc.
ScreenHunter 20595

Fletcher (you wrote that book) was at Enron at the same time as John and sat a few desks down. He also just (like last month) published the second edition of that book. Very good book.

Thanked by:
67belvedere
Indianapolis, IN

Thanks Given: 19
Thanks Received: 9

You can trade micro nat gas futures contracts too

BTW Im not an economist or engineer but nat gas seems overpriced here. On the other hand, is the price going higher as the world gets closer to pre covid productivity levels ? Or is it due to inflation related cost hikes across the board? Nat gas hit some high levels in the low 3s and bounced lower. I was thinking it would do the same here but it didnt. The price looks quite sinusoidal and I expect a reversal to into the 2s at some point ... but when.....?

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

67belvedere View Post
You can trade micro nat gas futures contracts too

There's a Mini 2500 MMBtu contract (QM), which is quarter the size of the full contract (10,000 MMbtu), but no Micro yet. I wonder whether a Micro NG will be next on the slate with Micro CL launching next month.

67belvedere
Indianapolis, IN

Thanks Given: 19
Thanks Received: 9

Where do you think nat gas is headed? are you a technical trader?

3.395 was Oct 2020 recent high for nat gas futures. I think it may pull back from there. I would be willing to let it go a little higher before getting out. my question is... how much higher. ive lost a good amount expecting it to pull back sooner. I could let my position go even more in the red until the price climbs above 3.396 and risk losing more...

thanks for any comments about this question

-Bel

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

67belvedere View Post
Where do you think nat gas is headed? are you a technical trader?

3.395 was Oct 2020 recent high for nat gas futures. I think it may pull back from there. I would be willing to let it go a little higher before getting out. my question is... how much higher. ive lost a good amount expecting it to pull back sooner. I could let my position go even more in the red until the price climbs above 3.396 and risk losing more...

thanks for any comments about this question

-Bel

You shouldn't compare fall/winter NG futures contracts' prices to summer NG contracts.

NG demand is higher in winter thus it will have higher prices than summer.

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/ron.h8870/viz/Energies-NGWeeklyData/Yearly

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 25, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts