NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Purposeful Drivel

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 65 posts (163 thanks)
    2. looks_two Itchymoku with 20 posts (19 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 3 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 researcher247 with 3 posts (10 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one iqgod with 5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two researcher247 with 3.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 GaryD with 2.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Itchymoku with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 16,925 views
    2. thumb_up 245 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 110 posts
    2. attach_file 10 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Purposeful Drivel

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Experience: None
Platform: corded black telephone
Trading: ticker tape
Thanks Given: 1,683
Thanks Received: 3,681

GaryD View Post
The thread is not dead, just not very active. Party on.

R.I.P. Joseph Bach (Itchymoku), 1987-2018.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

If I had it to do over... and I do

When asked about reading through hundreds or thousands of posts, it got me thinking. There is an entire story of some unknown guy, who started to trade, for "reasons", and went through the entire spectrum over several years. And so in that, there may be something worthwhile. I don't really feel that there is, as I sit today, because a lot of it was just "noise".

But, maybe it does give an example of the wide range of experiences of a wannabe trader. How learning to trade shifts the mind, rewards and frustrates and teases and eludes, and intoxicates, brings joy and triumph, brings misery and defeat. And ultimately, understanding. A different way of thinking than could have existed without. A major shift.

But in the "how to trade" aspect, there is not much there to read, other than;

Understand your market(s), believe in your approach, quantify your plan, winners bigger than losers, honor max down, relax, there is a reason the majority fail, focus on trading well, not making money, find what makes you happy...

All of the prior posts could be summed up in those few words.

There are things that are statistically significant, and those are the ones to focus on. But there is not just one and how they align is never quite the same, but always similar.

The whole thought of targets being x times stops seems absurd now. Not the same as winners vs losers. And while I still do prefer targets being much bigger than stops, it is not a necessity. Scaling has shown that, along with a willingness to be open to something new. Foreign maybe. Alien is not out of possibilities...

Trading as a full time occupation is possible though, once the mind accepts it for what it is. And the more that settles in, the better it gets.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Started this thread
 Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

GaryD View Post
The whole thought of targets being x times stops seems absurd now. Not the same as winners vs losers. And while I still do prefer targets being much bigger than stops, it is not a necessity. Scaling has shown that, along with a willingness to be open to something new. Foreign maybe. Alien is not out of possibilities...

I wish you could elaborate on this more but I don't know where to start

I like your pictures of trades, they are helpful since I'm a visual learner!

Thanked by:
 Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

GaryD View Post

is the trades with the red lines going short or long, the trades with the green lines is that going long? Could you tell me which direction these trades are going? thanks Itchymoku

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Itchymoku View Post
I wish you could elaborate on this more but I don't know where to start

I like your pictures of trades, they are helpful since I'm a visual learner!

I understand. That is one reason I posted that. It was a mistake. I had a reason for taking the trade, and then bailed for some reason, thinking at the time it was to salvage it.

The majority of "trading", in your account, takes place in the deeper recesses of your mind. That was an example of where I lost to that force.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Itchymoku View Post
is the trades with the red lines going short or long, the trades with the green lines is that going long? Could you tell me which direction these trades are going? thanks Itchymoku

The red lines show entry to loss. The green lines show entry to win. Those are just "trade" lines, showing what happened after the fact.

I removed the indicators, for a lot of reasons. The real story being that, I bought in a great location, and closed out of fear, or doubt, or being conservative, or any other reason that traders do silly things.

Started this thread
 Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

GaryD View Post
The red lines show entry to loss. The green lines show entry to win. Those are just "trade" lines, showing what happened after the fact.

I removed the indicators, for a lot of reasons. The real story being that, I bought in a great location, and closed out of fear, or doubt, or being conservative, or any other reason that traders do silly things.

Thank you, this helps alot. I had a few big wins last week but lost most of it trying to short the euro so i stopped and am looking for other pairs until it changes up. Im a counter trend trader by heart so im always looking for reversion for some reason.

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Im trying to get away from mp indicators for cu4encies bc im starting to visualize it instead. Im also starting to find they arent that accurate like with futures but the concepts still work from a bird's eye. What indies do u use for currencies?

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Itchymoku View Post
Thank you, this helps alot. I had a few big wins last week but lost most of it trying to short the euro so i stopped and am looking for other pairs until it changes up. Im a counter trend trader by heart so im always looking for reversion for some reason.

That is a decent instinct, IF you trade the right timeframes. Price moves UP or DOWN. That is Trading101.

But it does so around a greater gravitational force: Expansion and Contraction.

Started this thread

Closed Thread

Last Updated on January 10, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts