NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Windows 10

Discussion in Tech Support

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 40 posts (61 thanks)
    2. looks_two dstrader with 7 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 josh with 7 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 sptrader with 6 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silvester17 with 2.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mattz with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 36,870 views
    2. thumb_up 150 thanks given
    3. group 29 followers
    1. forum 142 posts
    2. attach_file 7 attachments

Search this Thread

Windows 10

futuretrader 
Como Italy

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader, customized
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 643

There are some reasonable explanations of the licensing change online, though it still seems vague.

I think the free upgrade is always connected to your previous license. So in a sense you don't have a license for W10, but for whatever version you had previously.

While I was speaking to Microsoft support about my problem with my W10 authentication, they said that with a free upgrade, you won't be able to maintain authentication after a hardware modification - you'll need to buy a license, or go back to your original version.

Something to keep in mind if you've gone the upgrade route.

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
16 thanks
Trading with Intuition
12 thanks
Favorite High Probability Setup
9 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
9 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
8 thanks

perryg 
Rechovot

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: CQG
Trading: Index,Currency and Energy futures
Thanks Given: 508
Thanks Received: 6,288

Big Mike View Post
Thanks for this idea, although I would NEVER download anything from that website given their reputation for spyware.

Mike

Checked out this download a it contains SPYWARE as you so rightly stated!!!!!!!

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,257
Thanks Received: 101,704

perryg View Post
Checked out this download a it contains SPYWARE as you so rightly stated!!!!!!!

Yup, anyone that downloaded it probably wants to run Malwarebytes or similar to remove it.

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 dstrader 
Chicago, USA

Platform: TS, NT, TOS, SSE, IRT
Trading: ES, currency futures, options, stocks
Thanks Given: 330
Thanks Received: 275

dstrader View Post
On Windows 10, I'm taking advantage to replace my development notebook.

Just put an order for the HP Folio 1020 G1 as my main travel / development notebook. I upgraded it to 512GB SSD. The guy was able to give me the labor day discount which brought the price from $2877 to $2013 (30% discount for what is worth).

HP EliteBook Folio 1020 G1 Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR) | HP® Official Store

Once I receive and install all my software I will report here if everything work as expected.

Just want to share in case someone wants to follow along. I did a lot of research for a 'fanless' notebook, and this came on top. I run my tests via RDC on my main desktop, so I don't need a lot of power on this one, just a quiet and comfortable environment while enjoying my mocha at Starbucks or programming late night next to my sleeping wife.

Folks,
Just received my notebook yesterday, and I love it.... it's quite fast, I was able to run 5 youtube 720p videos and 1 4k videos without any problems.
I was only upset that I went to their web site to order accessories (I need a 'skin' type case to take it with me to Starbucks, etc.) and I found this offer:

HP EliteBook Folio 1020 G1 Special Edition Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR) | HP® Official Store

Amazing price... $1399.

I'm on the phone right now trying to see if they rebate the discount on the price I paid for it. Just wanted to put this out there, because this may not last long. The sales guy seemed surprised.
Hopefully I will be credited the difference, or I will return this one and order another one in this price today! It's too much of a difference to swallow...

PS: btw, I will never ever buy a notebook with a fan in the future... I so much enjoy working in complete silence!

dstrader 
Chicago, USA

Platform: TS, NT, TOS, SSE, IRT
Trading: ES, currency futures, options, stocks
Thanks Given: 330
Thanks Received: 275

Ok... that didn't work... very annoyed.

Instead of matching the price, I have to return this one, get a refund. And order a new one with the discounted price.
I put an order for a new one for the $1399 price. The sales person gave me another $75 discount for the inconvenience.
If you want to put an order and try the $75 discount, put an order with Jacob (SMB Account Manager):
T + 1-866-684-3621
Ext 771-6204

It's too much of a difference for me to swallow! Felt like I totally overpaid for the machine.

Silver Dragon 
Cincinnati Ohio
Legendary Master Data Manipulator

Platform: TastyWorks / NT
Broker: TastyWorks /NT
Trading: FX, Stocks, Options
Thanks Given: 6,422
Thanks Received: 5,238

Upgrade changes. Looks like you will be able to use your Windows 7/8 key to do a clean install. For some reason I thought you could already do this....

Forbes Welcome

Next big Windows 10 release will ease activation hassles | ZDNet

Quoting 
Furthermore, Aul said anyone looking to perform a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off media (eg: USB drive or optical disc) would be able to use these Windows 7 and Windows 8 keys during the setup.
In short: this is huge.

Why? Because Windows 10 can now behave like the past 20+ versions of Windows. Previously those looking to clean install Windows 10 could only get the free upgrade by literally upgrading Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10 (which registered the hardware with Microsoft) and then formatting everything and performing a Windows 10 clean install.

nosce te ipsum

You make your own opportunities in life.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

xiaosi 
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Market Wizard

Platform: JIGSAW/SIERRA CHART
Broker: MacQuarie Futures/AMP Clearing/CQG
Trading: HHI, HSI, FDAX
Thanks Given: 448
Thanks Received: 535

Hi Folks, I'm just about to do the Windows 10 upgrade on my main trading machine. I appears from the posts that most are happy and Ninja-trader and TWS (my main concerns) are working fine....Thanks to all those who have posted about their experience.

Any last pieces of advice before i take the leap?

Thanks,

XS

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

SatchFan 
Jefferson City, Missouri

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: CL ES
Thanks Given: 329
Thanks Received: 205

xiaosi View Post
Hi Folks, I'm just about to do the Windows 10 upgrade on my main trading machine. I appears from the posts that most are happy and Ninja-trader and TWS (my main concerns) are working fine....Thanks to all those who have posted about their experience.

Thanks,

XS

Make a backup of all your critical data. You may have already mentioned you are going to do that.. I haven't read the entire thread.... If so --> my comment!

Thanked by:

sptrader 
Colorado

Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: IB & Iqfeed
Trading: ES , CL
Thanks Given: 1,097
Thanks Received: 702

xiaosi View Post

Thanks,

XS

†**********************
I'd suggest making a drive image, not just a backup.. With a drive image you can swap drives if you prefer Win7 or play with Win10 on weekends to get used to it.. I still switch sometimes, even though I've had win10 installed on one drive for a couple of months now...It gives a secure feeling just in case a bug in win10 shows up..

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,392
Thanks Received: 10,208

Read something today that said that there's a big problem with the font scaling in W10. Anybody experience that? Is it 4k specific or is it effecting all resolutions?

Thanked by:

Last Updated on October 16, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts