NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

What is your biggest trading challenge?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 8 posts (13 thanks)
    2. looks_two Itchymoku with 8 posts (11 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tturner86 with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Scalpingtrader with 4 posts (9 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one PandaWarrior with 8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Scalpingtrader with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Itchymoku with 1.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 21,841 views
    2. thumb_up 77 thanks given
    3. group 13 followers
    1. forum 51 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

What is your biggest trading challenge?

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

Itchymoku View Post
I think staring at the screen sends a signal to the brain that it's sunny. I've heard that's a good tip and reading a book to bog the mind down.

You are correct. Artificial light from screens will affect your brains sleep mechanism. (Can't think of the chemical that controls it.)

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,249
Thanks Received: 101,669

Itchymoku View Post
I found with other jobs I've had that forcing myself to wake up regardless how tired I was to get there on time over and over worked with coffee. Going to sleep on time was really just a function of being tired from waking up early. (hopefully my new diet should help a little)

Do you have any tips? What do you do to maintain a balanced sleep schedule?

Thanks,
Itchy

Itchy, honestly I think it's a matter of motivation. Sufficient motivation and problem goes away. I doubt you would wake up late and miss a flight taking you on vacation for example.

If you lack motivation in trading I suggest starting with taking a good break from all things trading and then come back to it only once you start identifying what motivates you to return, then use that to change your pattern of behavior.

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
 addchild 
Bay Area California

Experience: None
Platform: TT T4
Broker: Phillip Capital
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 926
Thanks Received: 898

Itchymoku View Post
I found with other jobs I've had that forcing myself to wake up regardless how tired I was to get there on time over and over worked with coffee. Going to sleep on time was really just a function of being tired from waking up early. (hopefully my new diet should help a little)

Do you have any tips? What do you do to maintain a balanced sleep schedule?

Thanks,
Itchy

Build a strategy that submits an order in CL 10 minutes after you want to start trading for the day. Make the order large enough to motivate yourself out of bed to cancel the order every morning.

You can call it the Risk Alarm Clock.

Thanked by:
 Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Platform: corded black telephone
Trading: ticker tape
Thanks Given: 1,683
Thanks Received: 3,681

Big Mike View Post
Itchy, honestly I think it's a matter of motivation. Sufficient motivation and problem goes away. I doubt you would wake up late and miss a flight taking you on vacation for example.

If you lack motivation in trading I suggest starting with taking a good break from all things trading and then come back to it only once you start identifying what motivates you to return, then use that to change your pattern of behavior.

you couldn't be more right, I need to make this my number one priority in life atm. I need to put 110% of my effort into it and not be lazy about it. I can't just think that pulling in a few good trades a week is sufficient when there's opportunities everyday that I'm missing. Basically I need to make daily sacrifices of what feels comfortable to make this dream a reality.

R.I.P. Joseph Bach (Itchymoku), 1987-2018.
Please visit this thread for more information.
 Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

addchild View Post
Build a strategy that submits an order in CL 10 minutes after you want to start trading for the day. Make the order large enough to motivate yourself out of bed to cancel the order every morning.

You can call it the Risk Alarm Clock.

hopefully you're being facetious, or have you actually tried doing this with much success?

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,249
Thanks Received: 101,669

Willpower alone is not enough.

You have to set yourself up for success. That means a lot of things have to be done in a way that is conducive to trading.

If you were late to a normal job you would get fired, and thus your motivation. Still, if you don't like your job you might choose to be fired over being on time.

So it's not enough to say "do it". Look around you, your environment, your support network, your finances, your mental focus, etc and take note. You say it's a dream, you probably need to set a bunch of intermediate goals to realize that dream.

I still think taking a good long break is a good idea. Time is relative, so that could mean 1 week, 1 month, 1 year depending on the individual.

Good luck!

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 addchild 
Bay Area California

Platform: TT T4
Broker: Phillip Capital
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 926
Thanks Received: 898

Itchymoku View Post
hopefully you're being facetious, or have you actually tried doing this with much success?

I haven't had to try it, I'm generally good with an alarm clock that's out of arms reach.

But I do think it would be a good idea. Though may be a little extreme, nothing makes people evolve quicker than crisis.

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

addchild View Post
nothing makes people evolve quicker than crisis.

You must of been in the military.

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Big Mike View Post
Willpower alone is not enough.

You have to set yourself up for success. That means a lot of things have to be done in a way that is conducive to trading.

If you were late to a normal job you would get fired, and thus your motivation. Still, if you don't like your job you might choose to be fired over being on time.

So it's not enough to say "do it". Look around you, your environment, your support network, your finances, your mental focus, etc and take note. You say it's a dream, you probably need to set a bunch of intermediate goals to realize that dream.

I still think taking a good long break is a good idea. Time is relative, so that could mean 1 week, 1 month, 1 year depending on the individual.

Good luck!

I agree with most of the points here but taking a long break isn't feasible for me, maybe a few days considering I just got out of a break up after a year and a half but even the emotional aspect I ignore while trading. Trading is what I do and I highly enjoy it. It does drive me to stay up till the opening hours, I just need to rearrange the sleeping patterns I have. With forex I could stay up at night with no problem but with trading NQ it requires me to be awake during the morning. I have a lot of willpower, it's just that I was satisfied for a while making a few trades a week so I didn't change anything but now I want to do more. I can make it work because I have before. I don't mean to make a big deal about it because really it's something I can fix. I appreciate the response.

I do feel you, there are a lot of things that go hand in hand with trading regarding discipline in life not only with diet but also exercise, supportive friends and family, and many other subjects we talk about daily. Although willpower alone is not enough I believe it does constitute a good chunk of what is necessary, but yes there are many other things needed.

Hulk 
Texas, USA

Platform: TT, Custom
Trading: Futures, Spreads
Thanks Given: 731
Thanks Received: 901

I chose not following plan because I think this falls under that category.

My biggest challenge is not following up methodically on my trading history. Not recording enough to make a meaningful assessment later on. And therefore, not being able to analyze what areas need improvement.

I get stellar results for 2-3 weeks and then quite the opposite for the next 2-3. By then, I haven't recorded enough to compare the 2 sets to know what really needs improvement. It becomes a never ending cycle because there is no feedback for the next iteration and any changes are just guesswork without anything meaningful backing it up.

I have just recently started logging every trade with my own description of the trade and certain attributes that I think will help. Hopefully over the next few weeks, I will move past this hurdle.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 2, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts