NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

caffeine and trading

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Itchymoku with 55 posts (42 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 9 posts (10 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 7 posts (17 thanks)
    4. looks_4 PandaWarrior with 7 posts (7 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 1.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 PandaWarrior with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Itchymoku with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 27,549 views
    2. thumb_up 132 thanks given
    3. group 29 followers
    1. forum 144 posts
    2. attach_file 27 attachments

Search this Thread

caffeine and trading

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Experience: None
Platform: corded black telephone
Trading: ticker tape
Thanks Given: 1,683
Thanks Received: 3,681

https://coffeekind.com/reading-room/news/real-patriots-drink-coffee-and-that%E2%80%99s-truth

link

R.I.P. Joseph Bach (Itchymoku), 1987-2018.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Yuri57 
Budapest, Hungary

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Windows 95
Trading: YM
Thanks Given: 72
Thanks Received: 108

Don't make a scientific question on such a simple topic.... if you are sleepy, drink a coffee; that's it!

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,527
Thanks Received: 26,292

Yuri57 View Post
Don't make a scientific question on such a simple topic.... if you are sleepy, drink a coffee; that's it!

LOL.

Bob.

Turveyd
Birmingham UK

Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 64

DionysusToast View Post
This is bogus.

Right at the start of the video, the 'researcher' announces he's a fan of caffeine.

So basically, he's looking to confirm his bias.

Which he does.

See how well that works in trading.

I am a coffee drinker - but really, this is nonscience.

Also not double blind, or even single blind no control group on placebo at all, so therefore no allowance for people simply getting better at doing there memory test.

BOGUS!!

I need to do something to get me awake / alert after waking up as that's the best time for me to trade the DAX, but I'm lazy and hate mornings, so far all plans have been an epic fail, including caffeine drink by the bed, doesn't really do anything for me sadly!

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

lol I didn't mean to make this all about that youtube video, I mainly wanted to know if people find that it helps or hurts their trading and in what dose.

It seems to be after reading this whole thread that many people find that it isn't necessary to trade well and could potentially be bad for their health while just as many people find that a cup or two in the morning helps them wake up.

I think it's important not to get to a point where you're flying on caffeine when you're trading but I think most of the people who say this is bad are mainly doing so out of assumption that all psychoactive chemicals are bad for trading and haven't tested the underlying hypothesis.

I think it's safe to assume everyone agrees that you want to be on point, in tip top shape, in the zone, or whatever you call it when you're trading but to do so with caffeine comes at the expense of your health even if your memory improves. So, the best way to get to that level is probably through more natural means like getting on a consistent sleeping schedule or exercising etc.

I, just like most people can't deny that a cup of coffee or two make me feel great but I'm sure most people would say the same about other drugs if they took them. It's all about weighing the pros and cons. Since coffee is used by just about everyone at all ages it seems that most people who use it, use this as their weighing scale for justice to keep using it. like for instance - Grandpa drinks a two cups a day and he's 92. But, I guess we didn't hear about how caffeine attributed to uncle Joe dying from a heart attack at 53 because we just assumed it was his weight or diet. Just like I've known people who justified smoking because their grandparents were still alive smoking or tried to insinuate that since they smoke american spirits that they'll dodge the cancer bullet because it's more natural while they completely ignore the statistics and then inevitably say who wants to live to be that age anyways lol

Thanked by:
 Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

very interesting!

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Neo1 
Christchurch, New Zealand

Experience: Beginner
Platform: SC
Broker: IB, BC, Dx Feed
Trading: US Equities
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 531

Itchymoku View Post
lol I didn't mean to make this all about that youtube video, I mainly wanted to know if people find that it helps or hurts their trading and in what dose.

It seems to be after reading this whole thread that many people find that it isn't necessary to trade well and could potentially be bad for their health while just as many people find that a cup or two in the morning helps them wake up.

I think it's important not to get to a point where you're flying on caffeine when you're trading but I think most of the people who say this is bad are mainly doing so out of assumption that all psychoactive chemicals are bad for trading and haven't tested the underlying hypothesis.

I think it's safe to assume everyone agrees that you want to be on point, in tip top shape, in the zone, or whatever you call it when you're trading but to do so with caffeine comes at the expense of your health even if your memory improves. So, the best way to get to that level is probably through more natural means like getting on a consistent sleeping schedule or exercising etc.

I take Modafinil most trading days which keeps me "In the Zone". It's not for everyone, but it's had a very positive effect on my trading.

...Since I trade US markets and live overseas, it means I stay up all night and sleep alot during the day( Trade starts at 8:30pm for me). This creates an unnatural sleep cycle which I've never completely adjusted to.

Thanked by:
 Underexposed 
Calgary Alberta/Canada

I am not a good sleeper...I stay up til 1:00am or 2:00am and have a very restless sleep until waking up at 6:00am. I am prone to napping throughout the late morning and afternoon.

I need a coffee in the morning to clear my head...without it I function at a low level. If I am home, I make only that large mug of coffee in the morning...I will drink a diet coke in the afternoon which I suppose is more caffeine but otherwise I like to drink liters of ice cold water or a fruit smoothie (just discovered those lovely drinks and bought a book that lists 365 smoothies...not a bad one in the bunch so far )

If I go out to eat I will have several cups of coffee...but only if I leave my apartment will I have more than that one mug of joe.

Last Updated on October 20, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts