NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

VSA for ThinkorSwim

Discussion in ThinkOrSwim

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one snowcloud with 93 posts (25 thanks)
    2. looks_two StockJock with 91 posts (27 thanks)
    3. looks_3 cbritton with 37 posts (71 thanks)
    4. looks_4 swimtrader with 22 posts (19 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Hornblower with 2.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two cbritton with 1.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 StockJock with 0.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 snowcloud with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 310,845 views
    2. thumb_up 223 thanks given
    3. group 86 followers
    1. forum 434 posts
    2. attach_file 131 attachments

Search this Thread

VSA for ThinkorSwim

snowcloud
LA, CA

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 25

StockJock View Post

Your fibonacci lines look like there from TOS script. Where can I find the code?

They're ToS Fibs set up as David Halsey does - Learn Futures Trading Strategies, Live Emini Trading Room & Trading Videos - Emini Addict .

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

marcovth 
Canada

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES,6E
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 30

Did some one attempt to make a VSA version for Tradestation / Multicharts ?

If not, I will try. It would be good project for me to learn to fine details of VSA.

I am using all the "Better" studies with Multicharts. It would be nice to have an extra layer of VSA signals for confirmation.

It has been a year since I studied VSA with Tom Williams' book and Todd Kruger's course.
I understand that Todd Kruger will come out with a new course "soon"?

Again, great coding here. I didn't think it would be possible with ThinkScript.

StockJock
Chicago + Illinois/USA

Thanks Given: 15
Thanks Received: 154

If you have the code for the indicator that is displayed on your TOS chart, would you like to post it in Big Mike's download section for ThinkOrSwim codes that are contributed for members?

StockJock
Chicago + Illinois/USA

marcovth View Post
Did some one attempt to make a VSA version for Tradestation / Multicharts ?

I came across a VSA code that I think is for either TradeStation or MultiCharts. See attachment. Also attached is a Better Volume indicator for TradeStation. I don't remember where I found either of them. Maybe these can help you get started with your VPA translation. I would suggest however, to search the TradeStation forums elsewhere on the internet to see if someone else has translated it into EasyLanguage. If you do sucessfully translate it, I'm sure the Big Mike forum members would appreciate you posting it in the download section.

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: TradeStation BETTER_VOLUME_25JAN09.zip
Elite Membership required to download: Volume Spread Analysis.txt
Thanked by:
snowcloud
LA, CA

StockJock View Post
If you have the code for the indicator that is displayed on your TOS chart, would you like to post it in Big Mike's download section for ThinkOrSwim codes that are contributed for members?

If you're talking about the Fibs, they're just plain vanilla ToS Fibs. There's no code that I know of that could be posted. I have configured them in the way that David Halsey does at https://eminiaddict.com/ .

dqbuzz
USA

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 1

StockJock View Post

StockJock...It is not a code that sets up the fib study. When you pull a fib go to the edit section and just check the fib levels which you wish to hide. While there you set the line weight, style, and color also. My settings include a 50, 61.8, and 78.6 retrace levels, along with a -23.6 and -50 percent profit target levels. I would post a picture of the settings but need to post a couple of more times here to do that. For what it is worth the three best trading sites on the web are right here at Big Mikes, EMiniAddict, and Thinkscripter in my humble opinion, none of which will bury the checkbook. Just an opinion.....Good Trading. If you have any questions on the set-up post here and I will try to assist in any way I can.

StockJock
Chicago + Illinois/USA

In his book Master The Markets, Tom Williams provides conditions to differentiate between a retracement and a market reversal. The problem is how to program it into TOS to show up as an indicator on a chart? Does anyone have any suggestions? The VPA code helps with retracements, but not with reversals. At least I don't see that it does.

REVERSAL
1. Increased Volatility
2. Large spreads. Especially Effort to Fall bars.
3. Increasing volume.

RETRACEMENT
1. Lack of volatility
2. Small spreads
3. Decreased Volume

marcovth 
Canada

StockJock View Post
REVERSAL
1. Increased Volatility

The book "Volatility Edge in Options Trading" chapter three contains a worked out example on how to calculate volatility spikes with, say, the last 30 bars.

The [AUTOLINK]Volatility[/AUTOLINK] Edge in Options ... - Google Books

Edit: the volatility spikes, you could process them the same way as volume bars in VSA? (just a quick thought)

If you have a large spike on low volume, doesn't that have a higher impact than a large spike on high volume?
If you have a small spike on large volume, isn't that stopping volume?

I have to read the VSA book all over again.

marcovth 
Canada

Here are the details on how to calculate price volatility stdev sprike values,
(20 bar window) ...

Here is how you calculate the 0.0120 StdDev log change (20 bar window)...

But I assume TOS has a function for that.

I have to brainstorm over it, so I don't know if it would be useful yet, but you could calculate stdev sprike values for volume bars as well. The combination could give a clear picture regarding Efforts vs. Results?

snowcloud
LA, CA

Here's another Head and Shoulders pattern on the 6e 2-minute chart in the morning. The Left Shoulder is at around 5:50 AM (all times PT). The Head, marked perfectly by a Yellow Triangle Weakness warning and a Yellow Circle Stopping Volume, is at 6:46. The low between the Head and the Right Shoulder was marked by a White Square Supply Test and Cyan Triangle Successful Test for Supply. The Right Shoulder is at 7:14 and is marked with an Orange Circle pseudoUpThrust. Over the next 45 minutes the Right Shoulder falls, rises, and then begins its fall again.

For those who follow David Halsey's Fib-based Measured Moves ( https://eminiaddict.com/ ) here's an observation:

The Left Shoulder and Head were created by a Measured Move from lows to the high of the shoulder, a retrace to just below the 50% line, and a move up to the -23% target. Interesting.

Also, in terms of plain old Support and Resistance notice that the high of the Head came just after briefly piercing S1 (green dotted line) and a previous S/R level (magenta line). The extension of the Right Shoulder out to 8:00 peaked right at S1 and just below the old S/R level. Again, interesting.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20101105-H&S-TOS_CHARTS.png
Views:	446
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	25379  

Last Updated on May 21, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts