NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Day trading vs. swing trading

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one e4williams with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two dbarno with 3 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Pedro40 with 3 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 2 posts (19 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one deaddog with 9.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Seahn with 5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 althetrader with 3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Pedro40 with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 13,725 views
    2. thumb_up 42 thanks given
    3. group 14 followers
    1. forum 21 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Day trading vs. swing trading

rosho01 
London/UK

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: IBs ladder / Market Delta charts
Broker: IB / IQfeed
Trading: Bund
Thanks Given: 260
Thanks Received: 96

....i am confused: day trades can inc swing trades (across daily timeframe & above?), and swing trades can inc day trades (or intra day trades/or any other time frame)? so, what is the question again?

~basically 'swing trading' is a type (/method) of trading which means one trades swings in price - it transposes across timeframes.

whereas:

~ 'day trading' is a time parameter/constraint (the day) within which you can action certain 'types' of trading eg swing trading; scalping; fading; trend following; fundamental based; etc etc etc.

'apples and pears' springs to mind.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

althetrader
vancouver + canada

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

Hi, my 1st post on BMT.

I started off daytrading and now have come to the conclusion that swing trading works much better for me.

Daytrading is great for learning technicals. 8 hrs a day staring at price action, day in, week out, month in, etc. I got to learn technicals and indicators quite well and fast, the glories and the myths/limitations...But sifting out real trends and breakouts and S/R zones from random noise, in the end, I wasn't smart enough and my P/L was inconsistent. Throw in all the commissions, spreads, slippages. Stops get hit and then price reverses back! Plus the more limited intraday min/max price movements and I found it tough to get an edge strong and consistent enough to overcome the odds. And let's not forget the psychology issues affecting a daytrader - all the mental games : 'do I take profit off the table?', 'do I let my winners ride?' and so on and on. It was 'thrilling' but as we all know, trading is to make money and keep that money in the long haul; not to have fun per se.

Swing trading. I was going to type 'much less' but I just changed it to 'NO' noise. So technicals behave a lot better. I avoid upcoming earnings dates. I avoid medical/pharma. See the trend. See the S/R zones. Price action behaves better. Go long or short. The range of price movements is much larger than intraday so the profits are larger - I just set wider stops for the trades to breathe better. The win % is better. The win/loss average is larger. The profits are consistent. The costs (as a % of revenues) are much smaller. Psychology issues are 1000 times simpler/easier to deal with. And yes, a whole lot more free time. Less chance of glaucoma and cataracts too. I still have 4x margin and leverage which I use. In the end, my edge is a whole lot more effective in overcoming the costs against me. (Oh, and I should mention this too, I found more flexibility in pursuing portfolio trade & risk mgt strategies that I could never dream of doing as a daytrader. As a daytrader, I'm way, way dependent on my broker screen interface and hot key executions and the number of eyes I have to monitor multiple charts on multiple screens. My finger speed and number of keystrokes and time it takes to set stops/targets, etc limited me in what I could do; everything was so tied to responding to the trade setup rightaway for that one stock...) In swing, I can do way, way more in managing portfolio risk. My finger speed and broker interfaces were a non-issue.

Just to clarify. I just trade the US stock market. I started off on Options (dumbest thing for a beginner to do, I confess), then to Futures. Never really did do Forex. Finally decided that Options and Futures have some key disadvantages (for me) versus Stock trading. But that's another story.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on November 13, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts