NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading futures with $5000

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Kennizzl with 5 posts (4 thanks)
    2. looks_two isla with 4 posts (7 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tturner86 with 4 posts (22 thanks)
    4. looks_4 fminus with 4 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Inletcap with 13 thanks per post
    2. looks_two AndrewG with 11 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tturner86 with 5.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 29,678 views
    2. thumb_up 163 thanks given
    3. group 38 followers
    1. forum 72 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading futures with $5000

Kennizzl
Detroit, MI

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 12

timefreedom View Post
@Kennizzl
What brokerage firm do you trade with?

Stage 5 Trading under Gain Capital

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Kruger 
Cape Town South Africa

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Rithmic
Broker: Optimus
Trading: Commodities:Grains, Meats, Energy
Thanks Given: 307
Thanks Received: 27

Kennizzl View Post
Stage 5 Trading under Gain Capital

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Stage 5 Trading? Kindly explain

tpredictor 
North Carolina

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader, Tradestation
Trading: es

There are many brokers that will give you discounted margins for day trading below their advertised rates. With a small account, trade fees become incredibly important. If I were opening a sub 5k account, I would probably look strongly at something like Tradovate because with scalping, you need rock bottom commission.

Kennizzl
Detroit, MI

Kruger View Post
Stage 5 Trading? Kindly explain

It is literally the name of the brokerage: Stage 5 Trading. Google it to learn more.

Thanked by:
Kennizzl
Detroit, MI

tpredictor View Post
There are many brokers that will give you discounted margins for day trading below their advertised rates. With a small account, trade fees become incredibly important. If I were opening a sub 5k account, I would probably look strongly at something like Tradovate because with scalping, you need rock bottom commission.

A little too late for this now. But the SEC fees are what kill me, not the brokerages.

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

Kennizzl View Post
This is really interesting. I actually started trading futures abut a week and a half ago....with a $1700 account. I wonder where i'll be next month.

I trade via one minute charts, and by far the most annoying thing is definitely the necessarily tight stops I have to use to maintain a max of 3% risk. Consistently only about 3-5 ticks. Overall I haven't taken very many trades wither because I have to be very detailed in my interpretation of price action and entry points. Sucks.

Kennizzl View Post
A little too late for this now. But the SEC fees are what kill me, not the brokerages.

There are no SEC fees on Futures. The SEC regulates stocks not futures.
NFA fees are 1c/side.

Thanked by:
Kennizzl
Detroit, MI

SMCJB View Post
There are no SEC fees on Futures. The SEC regulates stocks not futures.
NFA fees are 1c/side.

Meant CME fees

zazo
chicago illinois

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

It's possible yes. Can a beginner with no experience whatsoever do it, probably not. Most of the people commenting seem to have lost because of some psychological error. You need high emotional awareness no matter how big your account is. You have to recognize when you are feeling anger, sadness, euphoria, etc. Because if you can feel them you can ignore them or better yet use them to your advantage. From my experience, feelings of anger, euphoria, frustration and cockiness are account killers. This is just a small aspect of what needs to be learned to trade with a small account or even a large account - because after you can see set-ups developing in real time (if you're a day trader) and correlate TF, its all about monitoring your emotions.

A beginner is better off taking 5k to the market than 50k, without any real experience about how markets move both will blow up, the 5k will just happen sooner. And hopefully after you blow that 5k you realize that this is not easy and that it takes many many hours of screen time just to be able to recognize levels where you have the most institutional and hedge order flow coming in at. These guys move markets, so it only makes sense to follow them. With 5k you have to have superb risk management. You have to have superb timing and patience. moreover, you need an in depth understanding of how the market moves. Forget about why the market just dropped 15 points, focus on how, what was it doing prior to the drop, the behavior is was exhibiting is valuable. SIM is your friend - because before you can make money live you have to be able to make money in sim. Lawyers use mock trials(SIM) when learning or preparing for a case. You practice without loosing your money. Just like you would train for anything trading is no different.

So someone with lots of experience and deep knowledge of how markets move, they can turn a 5k account into anything. no shame in slowly building an account. Many traders /investors didn't start out 50k. Some built from the ground, and it's because they had experience and strong desire to succeed.

Thanked by:
mamba618
New York

Thanks Received: 0

Question is do you have method to trade whether 5K, 10K or 100K?

We could have 100K still end up getting in trouble in Futures trading world universe, it also depends on where you are in trading journey, if you are just starting out then you are better off investing that money into Quality Education instead of jumping into game. It may not be what a beginner trader want to hear, over the time it will all makes sense.

Nick77mc
Houston, tx

Thanks Received: 3

What would you recommend for a beginner to start out with money wise and the where to look for the proper education?

Last Updated on October 23, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts