NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Brexit 101

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one xplorer with 267 posts (374 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 80 posts (150 thanks)
    3. looks_3 jtrade with 76 posts (126 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Rory with 43 posts (67 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 1.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two jtrade with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Rory with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 xplorer with 1.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 264,467 views
    2. thumb_up 1,299 thanks given
    3. group 43 followers
    1. forum 774 posts
    2. attach_file 64 attachments

Search this Thread

Brexit 101

iq200 
London, UK

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader, Tradestation
Broker: Kinetick, InteractiveBrokers
Trading: Equities, Futures
Thanks Given: 145
Thanks Received: 278

JohnS View Post
As someone says in this article, the British really shot themselves in the foot. https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/exclusive-britain-no-longer-top-10-trade-with-germany-brexit-bites-2021-09-08/

As they say, you aint seen nothing yet. It will get much worse before it begins to get better.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

iq200 View Post
As they say, you aint seen nothing yet. It will get much worse before it begins to get better.

Do you think most people think that or does half the country still think this was a great idea?

I think too many (old) people voted for Brexit hoping it would bring back the British wonder years. That was never ever going to happen.

Thanked by:
 iq200 
London, UK

Platform: Ninjatrader, Tradestation
Broker: Kinetick, InteractiveBrokers
Trading: Equities, Futures
Thanks Given: 145
Thanks Received: 278

SMCJB View Post
Do you think most people think that or does half the country still think this was a great idea?

I think too many (old) people voted for Brexit hoping it would bring back the British wonder years. That was never ever going to happen.

The problem with human beings is that we by nature tend to make mistakes and sometimes just have to learn from them the hard way (if at all).

With regards to voting, I think there are different classes (I dont mean social) of people who voted for Brexit for different reasons. I can say that from experience I sadly, along with a lot of other people (and I have to say that I know of a lot more who did the same) naively voted for Brexit because we didn't do our own research and believed the lies from our govt. If there was a vote tomorrow I would vote to remain in the EU but for now and the immediate future we have to put up with what we have done.

I also totally agree with your last paragraph. That describes yet another class of people who voted for Brexit.

I myself believe that if people had been give the simple real truths there would have been a majority to remain in the EU.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.

Thanks @iq200 for the honest reply. most of the people I know that voted leave are still in the 'wait and see' camp, which I think is delusional. We can see, and we can see the wheels are falling off. My father was very much in the 'bring back the British wonder years' camp. I genuinely think he believed that Britain would return to being a dominant world power once they escaped the european overwatch. He's old though, so I'm not sure whether there was any foundation for that hope, other than he remembered a different time.

Thanked by:

WoodyFox 
Columbus, Ohio

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 196
Thanks Received: 876

Time will tell...They still rank 3rd in World Soft Power.

It seems all my Liberal Friends are still waiting for a full Collapse from Brexit... Just like my Conservative friends are still waiting on the Full Collapse of Obama Care. Yet neither has happened?

Most things have there ups and downs and I'm sure the Brits will remain strong over time.

JMHO

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

From NYT market talk today

Exports to the Republic of Ireland from the U.K. mainland have fallen by almost a third following the latter's exit from the EU, according to official Irish data. Great Britain-Ireland goods exports fell by nearly GBP2.5 billion, or 32%, in the first seven months of this year versus the same period a year earlier, figures from Ireland's Central Statistics Office show. Meanwhile, Irish goods exports to Great Britain in the same period increased 26%. The figures come after retailer Marks & Spencer said it was scrapping 800 product lines from its stores in Ireland because of "excessive paperwork" and post-Brexit controls on goods exported from the U.K., prompting it to decide to use more Irish supplies, reports say.

Thanked by:

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView & ZerodhaKite
Trading: NIFTY, BANKNIFTY
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 5,249
Thanks Received: 5,014

SMCJB View Post
Thanks @iq200 for the honest reply. most of the people I know that voted leave are still in the 'wait and see' camp, which I think is delusional. We can see, and we can see the wheels are falling off. My father was very much in the 'bring back the British wonder years' camp. I genuinely think he believed that Britain would return to being a dominant world power once they escaped the european overwatch. He's old though, so I'm not sure whether there was any foundation for that hope, other than he remembered a different time.

Every country has had golden age/years in the past, its just shame that not all can be returned to that era at the same time. By nature only few can be rulers of masses, not all, its probably true for countries just as it is for people

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,526
Thanks Received: 26,292

AllSeeker View Post
Every country has had golden age/years in the past, its just shame that not all can be returned to that era at the same time. By nature only few can be rulers of masses, not all, its probably true for countries just as it is for people

That said, I would not count Britain out. It's just that you can't return to the past, and nostalgia about past glories is as unreal as any fantasy. No one can know where it, or any other country, will be and what they will be doing in ten, twenty, or thirty years, but it won't be anything we can predict very well today, and it won't be like the good old days. Those days never really existed, the way they are presently imagined, anyway.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:
 westernwind 
Cardiff, UK

Experience: Beginner
Thanks Given: 74
Thanks Received: 46

bobwest View Post
That said, I would not count Britain out. It's just that you can't return to the past, and nostalgia about past glories is as unreal as any fantasy.

This isn't aimed at you personally, Bob, but I don't think anybody in the UK was expecting a return to past "glories". Nobody under, say, 60 (maybe 70?), has any personal memory of the Empire: they account for a tiny fraction of voters in any election. Nobody I know hankers after some imperial past. It's as relevant to me, as a British person, as the Philippine-American War is to the average American.

The driving force behind Brexit was the desire to control and be responsible for our own affairs again, rather than contracting out ever-increasing swathes of our regulatory and political powers to a bureaucracy in Brussels. Our politicians may be rubbish, but no more so than the EU politicians, and at least we can vote out UK politicians. Why add extra layers of supranational control?

Do you think US citizens would want to sign up for a treaty that gave the citizens of 20-plus other countries an effectively unconditional right to live in the US? That gave those countries the right to make legislation for the US, whether or not the US wished it? That gave them power over the trade policy of the US?

I'd be happy to trade on good terms with EU member states but I don't want to be part of a political union to do so. The citizens of the UK weren't given a choice about the initial entry, or on subsequent major changes to the treaties, such as Maastricht or Lisbon.

At no point during the thirty years leading up to the Brexit vote did anybody ask me how I felt about ceding more and more power to a bunch of mainly European technocrats that I was unable to even vote for. At no point did anybody ask me how I felt about allowing any EU citizens who wanted to live in the UK to come here (whatever their background or credentials), resulting in enormous and completely unprecedented population growth in the UK.

Britain has survived and thrived since long before the US, France, Germany, or Italy even existed as modern countries. Despite being a small island on the edge of the Atlantic, we've always punched above our weight. Contrary to statements in the left-leaning media (e.g. the Guardian in the UK, or NYT in the US) the country has not gone to the dogs.

There has been and will be turbulence, but things are continuing pretty much as they always have. Notable exceptions include COVID (on the negative front) and wage increases for many blue-collar jobs (on the positive front) now that freedom of movement has stopped.

Yes, our economy is recovering as well as those of other developed nations. No, unemployment has not gotten out of control, and our exports to the EU have not plummeted - trade in goods is back to pre-Brexit levels.
Yes, we are being affected by the global chaos in logistics. No, the supermarket shelves are not bare, though driver shortages are affecting choice.
Yes, inflation is affecting us as well as other advanced nations, though less than some. No, we are not struggling to pay for food.
Yes, some Europeans have left the UK. No, there has not been a mass exodus - conversely many millions have chosen to settle here, including many of French, German, Spanish and Italian nationality. It's... it's almost as if life in the UK is not so bad after all, eh?

Really, guys. Don't waste your time worrying about the UK. We'll be fine.

Thanked by:

qsceszwasdx 
Taipei Taiwan

Platform: TV, SC, QT
Broker: Interactive Brokers & Taiwan local brokers & AMP Futures
Trading: Stocks, Commodity & Index Futures
Thanks Given: 135
Thanks Received: 100

Maybe I am too sensitive, but talking about "return to the glory of the history" , I remember:

1) Mussolini saw himself as a “New Augustus” reviving the glories of the ancient empire, and he wanted direct sightlines from the Piazza Venezia, where he gave his speeches, to the great Imperial icons. ... “We cannot destroy the relics of ancient Rome, but we cannot mummify the modern city, either.

2) Adolf Hitler said "Restoration of German glory to those in despair, Sieg Heil Victoria".

Above two was past, but...

3)Return to greatness "Chinese Dream"

Be carefully, dictatorship can revive because people have illusion to the real world, and the worst thing is they are trying to implement their fancy dream, this will cause tragedy.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 27, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts