NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Seasonal Trades

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one myrrdin with 102 posts (132 thanks)
    2. looks_two ron99 with 26 posts (75 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 21 posts (40 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mosalem2003 with 19 posts (9 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one ron99 with 2.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 1.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mosalem2003 with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 59,599 views
    2. thumb_up 334 thanks given
    3. group 71 followers
    1. forum 280 posts
    2. attach_file 37 attachments

Search this Thread

Seasonal Trades

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Thanks Given: 3,688
Thanks Received: 2,651

For all the Euroeans here: Tomorrow is a holiday in the US.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
use extra computer for optimisation
NinjaTrader
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

volramp
Tel Aviv Israel

Thanks Given: 71
Thanks Received: 8

myrrdin View Post
What is your motivation to consider this trade ?

I am currently long the LHG-LHQ spread, as I consider the G an J-contracts as undervalued compared to the summer contracts for S/D reasons.

Best regards, Myrrdin

This:

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

volramp View Post
This:

Using Feb 5 to Feb 28, last 10 years 6 winners and 4 losers but 3 of the losers were <$100. Winners all over $1,000.

Thanked by:
cornnut
Muncie, IN

Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 13

volramp View Post
This:

Start off by saying I like this spread, I like the logic behind it and it back-tests well.

I will not be trading it this year because of ASF disease and China. The hog futures market is pretty thin, and with China's pork supply being disrupted I am afraid they could come in and make some large purchases that would send the market higher, which would generally be bad if in a bear spread position.

Not saying its a bad idea still, but the risk/reward doesn't align well in my eyes

Thanked by:
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

cornnut View Post
Start off by saying I like this spread, I like the logic behind it and it back-tests well.

I will not be trading it this year because of ASF disease and China. The hog futures market is pretty thin, and with China's pork supply being disrupted I am afraid they could come in and make some large purchases that would send the market higher, which would generally be bad if in a bear spread position.

Not saying its a bad idea still, but the risk/reward doesn't align well in my eyes

I agree. A lot of buying from China is already priced in the summer contracts, but not to the same extent in the April contract. In case of strong buying after signing the contract US / China a couple of days ago and before the Chinese New Year would influence this spread significantly.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:

Dreadwind 
Seattle, WA, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Zanner, Tradingview
Broker: Decarley, Gain, Fidelity
Trading: Options, Futures, Equites
Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 4

Hello everyone. Just wanted to post a quick introduction. I've been lurking on futures.io for a couple years and this year I finally decided to open a futures account so I hope to be much more active around here. I have a few years experience trading equities and options on equities, but I'm much more interested in the assets that are traded in the futures markets (commodities, energy, interest rates, and currencies). I'm working my way through Ron and Myrrdin's options selling threads as that is ultimately what I intend to do, but I'm using seasonal spreads as a way to initially learn these markets.

Any suggestions for additional learning material and fundamental research material would be greatly appreciated. I'm mostly interested in Grains, Beans, Meats, Energy, Currencies, Gold, and US Fixed Income) Right now I use the following on a regular basis:

MRCI
HighTower Reports
USDA Gain Reports
John Kemp Energy News

Big thanks to Myrrdin and Ron for starting so many great threads and to everyone else who has contributed over the years!

Thanked by:
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

AntoniusBlock View Post
Hello everyone. Just wanted to post a quick introduction. I've been lurking on futures.io for a couple years and this year I finally decided to open a futures account so I hope to be much more active around here. I have a few years experience trading equities and options on equities, but I'm much more interested in the assets that are traded in the futures markets (commodities, energy, interest rates, and currencies). I'm working my way through Ron and Myrrdin's options selling threads as that is ultimately what I intend to do, but I'm using seasonal spreads as a way to initially learn these markets.

Any suggestions for additional learning material and fundamental research material would be greatly appreciated. I'm mostly interested in Grains, Beans, Meats, Energy, Currencies, Gold, and US Fixed Income) Right now I use the following on a regular basis:

MRCI
HighTower Reports
USDA Gain Reports
John Kemp Energy News

Big thanks to Myrrdin and Ron for starting so many great threads and to everyone else who has contributed over the years!

Good to see you here ! Please feel free to ask all of your questions - there are some experienced traders around to answer them.

After reading through some of our threads you have already learnt a lot. And, as a customer of Decarley, you probably know about Carleys books. They are worth readings for beginners, as they give a good overview.

You should get some knowledge about COT data, and how to use them in trading. I learnt a lot from the book of Floyd Upperman, who also provides a website. But there are certainly other good books around.

Good trading !

Best regards from Austria, Myrrdin

Kruger 
Cape Town South Africa

Platform: Rithmic
Broker: Optimus
Trading: Commodities:Grains, Meats, Energy
Thanks Given: 307
Thanks Received: 27

Is anyone else considering this spread trade: Buy May20 Soybeans & Sell May20 Wheat (CBOT)?

The entry price is attractive (low) but this is somewhat risky considering the ongoing China-USA trade debacle. I am monitoring the movement for a possible entry early Feb.

Will appreciate the views of the seasoned traders.

Regards

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Kruger View Post
Is anyone else considering this spread trade: Buy May20 Soybeans & Sell May20 Wheat (CBOT)?

The entry price is attractive (low) but this is somewhat risky considering the ongoing China-USA trade debacle. I am monitoring the movement for a possible entry early Feb.

Will appreciate the views of the seasoned traders.

Regards

I entered a first position of this trade yesterday, using new crop contracts.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:

Dreadwind 
Seattle, WA, USA

Platform: Zanner, Tradingview
Broker: Decarley, Gain, Fidelity
Trading: Options, Futures, Equites
Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 4

myrrdin View Post
I entered a first position of this trade yesterday, using new crop contracts.

Best regards, Myrrdin

So your current position is SX20-WN20? Is there a reason you chose new crop rather than the suggested May contracts?

Last Updated on May 4, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts