NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Afraid to Trade Live - Advice Needed

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Trader146 with 37 posts (36 thanks)
    2. looks_two Blash with 13 posts (20 thanks)
    3. looks_3 t0030tr with 6 posts (8 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mastercraft29 with 5 posts (9 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one mastercraft29 with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Blash with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 t0030tr with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Trader146 with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 17,744 views
    2. thumb_up 99 thanks given
    3. group 24 followers
    1. forum 92 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

Afraid to Trade Live - Advice Needed

Trader146 
Shreveport, LA/USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: APEXTRADERFUNDING
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 284
Thanks Received: 158

suko View Post
This is the textbook definition of risk aversion.

It's hardwired into us.

You need to be trading smaller.

You can't trade any smaller than one contract. If I had learn to trade before trading real money it would be a different story. I lost over $50,000. So now I'm moving on to TST.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using futures.io

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,360

Trader146 View Post
You can't trade any smaller than one contract. If I had learn to trade before trading real money it would be a different story. I lost over $50,000. So now I'm moving on to TST.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using futures.io

You could trade the mini crude, half sized. Some disadvantages of course, but it might be a better fit for your psyche.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

suko 
Kyoto, Japan
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TW TOS LiveVol
Broker: TD, TW, IB, Saxo
Trading: VXX, VIX, SPY
Thanks Given: 844
Thanks Received: 1,416

If I were in your shoes I would not let myself be married to a particular product.
It's very easy for me to say that I want to trade UVXY call options dammit, and nothing else.

The topic of this thread is "Afraid" and here you are talking about risk aversion.

It all boils down to FEAR.

I have identified this as an issue for me, too.
Fear of loss.
Fear of process, of outcome.
Of missing out.
That there will not be enough (greed).

I am systematically addressing FEAR on all fronts, outside of trading too.

In my trading I am evaluating and scoring myself each day for how well I deal with it.

Becoming more aware of FEAR during the day.

Progress is very slow.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 Trader146 
Shreveport, LA/USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: APEXTRADERFUNDING
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 284
Thanks Received: 158

While the numbers may look good, I am very disappointed with my performance. I made a lot of mistakes. It makes me feel like I'm regressing at times. It makes me want to put off starting a combine.

One thing I can say though, as bad as I feel about my performance, having TST loss limits has actually helped my trading. I find I am much more cognizant of my risk parameters and I stick to my stops. This has resulted in very small losses and allowed me to end the day green even when I had more losers than winners. That's new for me and a definite improvement, and I have TST to thank for that.

I've been a little negative on TST in the past but I'm really starting to appreciated it. It offers quite a bit of value for a certain group of traders, those that have reached profitability on SIM, are ready to go live, but are under capitalized. It also helps those who have trouble sticking to their stops, as you quickly learn that that's a deal breaker with TST. I'm in that group and I actually feel blessed that they exist, now that I understand that being under capitalized is also a deal breaker...at least for me.

Here are my TST screenshots.

In this month's TST newsletter the "Funded Trader Highlights" listed traders who had winning streaks (see below). I thought it was cool that my results were better but sim results usually are. Let's see what happens if and when I get funded.

I had 7 straight winning days and $3548.80

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 vont 
Bangkok

ShatteredX View Post
Hey man, great post, like your stats and graphs.

However, if you can't afford to lose your current trading stake ($9000?), then IMHO you should not trade. You may have a great system/setup but personally I would never trade with money that I couldn't afford to lose. That's just me.

Hi ShatteredX: Just like to explore more, what you mentioned about the $9,000 stake?
Did you just make that up or read it from some guys/gals, somewhere? Or perhaps from
the forum here? Just want to understand a little more, the concept involved. Thx ShatteredX.

Pedro40
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 379

Trader146 View Post
You can't trade any smaller than one contract.

Actually, you can. If you trade CFDs, the leverage is way less. 50 times less...

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,360

Pedro40 View Post
Actually, you can. If you trade CFDs, the leverage is way less. 50 times less...

Not for OP, who is in the US...

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 vont 
Bangkok

Pedro40 View Post

Do you personally do CFD yourself?

Who with?

Thx Pedro40

vont 
Bangkok

C F D ....?

A CFD, or Contract for Difference, is an agreement between two parties to exchange the difference between the opening price and closing price of a contract.

You can use CFDs to trade and speculate on the price movements of thousands of financial markets regardless of whether prices are rising or falling. You can go long (buy) a CFD market, and profit from prices as they rise or go short (sell) and profit from falling prices. CFDs give you a great deal of trading flexibility, allowing you to profit from financial markets regardless of price direction.

CFD trading is also a leveraged product, allowing you to maximise your market exposure for only a small fraction of the investment you would typically need to trade the underlying asset directly.

Elite members--50% discount
only thru KOREAN GOLD WOK

vont 
Bangkok

Just to clarify

am not a vendor, trading promoter,
educator nor trading guru of any sort, K?

So monitors please do not misinterpret to construe
otherwise, alright? Thx everyone.
Just love bigmike futures io

Last Updated on August 12, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts