NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Bitcoin Futures by the CME

Discussion in Cryptocurrency

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mattz with 21 posts (39 thanks)
    2. looks_two Devil Man with 11 posts (18 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tpredictor with 8 posts (9 thanks)
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 7 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one mattz with 1.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Devil Man with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tpredictor with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 43,630 views
    2. thumb_up 118 thanks given
    3. group 31 followers
    1. forum 97 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Bitcoin Futures by the CME

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,441
Thanks Received: 3,791

Devil Man View Post
just your general thoughts about how they built it compared to say ES and 6E?

I took some time to give you an answer that I hope would be satisfactory without rambling on.
This is, of course, my opinion only based on my observation of cryptocurrency behavior in the last few years.

Typically, I do not interfere or recommend whether traders should trade long-term or short-term on any futures instrument. However, I feel rather strongly that Bitcoin Futures should be used only as a day trading tool specifically not held over the weekend. Let me explain further.

The Bitcoin cash market is a new market as an underlying asset and is susceptible to a lot of news whether substantiated or not. As such, during the times that the market is closed, you could be exposed to circumstances that would not be favorable to you. The cash markets operate 24/7. In particular, you should not be exposed over the weekend.

Second, the market is saturated with players who are either in a state of FOMO and/or ones that will try to short it hoping Bitcoin would collapse. Both players will bring volatility to the Futures market, and I suspect will feel very strongly about their positions and opinions. This may trigger margins calls, spikes, and other price action not favorable to traders who may develop long-term ideas and methods.

Consider also a fundamental view. We do not know today which cryptocurrency and blockchain will prevail in the long run. Further, who is to say that Bitcoin validity comes at 10K or $100? Who knows if Ether will prevail over Bitcoin as it is growing its ecosystem? The cryptocurrency space will evolve and grow and what we consider as a given today, may not be valid in a few years.

Approach this asset class as carefully as you would approach any contract: check liquidity, fluctuations, leverage, etc.

I hope this helps.

Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Devil Man 
Fort Lauderdale
Legendary / Stochastic Calculus is not your friend

Experience: None
Platform: Ninjatrader, Python API
Broker: CQG
Trading: S&P, Crude, Gold
Thanks Given: 3,466
Thanks Received: 1,548

mattz View Post
I took some time to give you an answer that I hope would be satisfactory without rambling on.
This is, of course, my opinion only based on my observation of cryptocurrency behavior in the last few years.

Typically, I do not interfere or recommend whether traders should trade long-term or short-term on any futures instrument. However, I feel rather strongly that Bitcoin Futures should be used only as a day trading tool specifically not held over the weekend. Let me explain further.

The Bitcoin cash market is a new market as an underlying asset and is susceptible to a lot of news whether substantiated or not. As such, during the times that the market is closed, you could be exposed to circumstances that would not be favorable to you. The cash markets operate 24/7. In particular, you should not be exposed over the weekend.

Second, the market is saturated with players who are either in a state of FOMO and/or ones that will try to short it hoping Bitcoin would collapse. Both players will bring volatility to the Futures market, and I suspect will feel very strongly about their positions and opinions. This may trigger margins calls, spikes, and other price action not favorable to traders who may develop long-term ideas and methods.

Consider also a fundamental view. We do not know today which cryptocurrency and blockchain will prevail in the long run. Further, who is to say that Bitcoin validity comes at 10K or $100? Who knows if Ether will prevail over Bitcoin as it is growing its ecosystem? The cryptocurrency space will evolve and grow and what we consider as a given today, may not be valid in a few years.

Approach this asset class as carefully as you would approach any contract: check liquidity, fluctuations, leverage, etc.

I hope this helps.

Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

oh fantastic @mattz! this is just what I was looking for, thoughts from a seasoned industry professional such as yourself. I really appreciate you getting back to us on this!

спасиба

Happy Thanksgiving!

Johnny

Thanked by:

learning0101 
Houston, Texas

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader,TOS,Etrade,St
Broker: NT:( tos,etrade,CS
Trading: stocks,options,futures,forex
Frequency: Never
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 3,614
Thanks Received: 222

Hi @mattz Hope you are doing well, I am asking you for your input because you are a broker that says it like it is, and I appreciate that. Alright onward and forward to the point- What's the scoop on the BTC futures? Is your brokerage going to offer it? What's the scuttle but in the community that I am sure you are privy to?
Share with us if you will? Thanks in advance for any input/info.

Thanked by:

mattz   is a Vendor

learning0101 View Post
Hi @mattz Hope you are doing well, I am asking you for your input because you are a broker that says it like it is, and I appreciate that. Alright onward and forward to the point- What's the scoop on the BTC futures? Is your brokerage going to offer it? What's the scuttle but in the community that I am sure you are privy to?
Share with us if you will? Thanks in advance for any input/info.

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. So here is the chatter: We should have something from the CME in the second week of Dec. Yes, we are going to offer it the minute it will come out. If you PM me your email, I will make sure that you get the information from us when it is launched.

This is ONLY my personal opinion: I think the delay has been as a result of Margin. In other words, the exchange needs to think long and hard what sort of margin should be implemented. On one hand, they cant be too high to discourage players, and at the same time, it can not be too small due to the wide fluctuations this underlying asset has.

I hope this helps!

Matt Z
Optimus Futures

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
Thanked by:

Devil Man 
Fort Lauderdale
Legendary / Stochastic Calculus is not your friend

Platform: Ninjatrader, Python API
Broker: CQG
Trading: S&P, Crude, Gold
Thanks Given: 3,466
Thanks Received: 1,548

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/01/cme-says-its-launching-bitcoin-futures-on-dec-18.html

Thanked by:

mattz   is a Vendor

CME sent an email as well while confirming this date, DEC 18th.

Thank you,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

Thanked by:
k7ler
CONSTANTINE/ALGERIA (DZ)

Thanks Given: 146
Thanks Received: 7

Bitcoin has no intrinsic value I think that know a virtual currency is a financial bubble. Its price could fall to zero if the confidence in the system was to disappear know that a numerical value only that is feeds the dark web to bought illicit and illegal product that does generate so much money and profit a value adds , I think bitcoin and a scam I think at the beginning that was a revolution and that it's going to help a lot of people get out of misery and poverty, maintains I'm persuading that Bitcoin has no social role,

meow
Bangkok+Thailand

Thanks Given: 64
Thanks Received: 14

CBOE confirmed it will start trading futures on 10 Dec. What retail brokers are working with them? I'm with AMP now and they still got no idea about CME or CBOE btc futures. Crazy...

CenFlo 
Tampa FL

Platform: TOS/TradingView
Broker: TDA
Trading: Equities/Cryptos
Thanks Given: 830
Thanks Received: 960

k7ler View Post
Bitcoin has no intrinsic value I think that know a virtual currency is a financial bubble. Its price could fall to zero if the confidence in the system was to disappear know that a numerical value only that is feeds the dark web to bought illicit and illegal product that does generate so much money and profit a value adds , I think bitcoin and a scam I think at the beginning that was a revolution and that it's going to help a lot of people get out of misery and poverty, maintains I'm persuading that Bitcoin has no social role,

Same B.S. I've heard from day 1 of Bitcoin and crypto's in general.

I've made a ton of $$ from $BTC and keeping my faith in not only the asset, but the tech as well.

To each their own and all that.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/04/winklevoss-twins-become-worlds-first-bitcoin-billionaires/

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Wayne Gretsky
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 tpredictor 
North Carolina

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader, Tradestation
Trading: es

The CBOE contract seems more suitable for retail traders. It will be based on 1 BTC contract:

Contract Specifications

Looks like they are basing on Gemini only. This is interesting. I have seen other products that use multiple indexes are more difficult to tape read because you have situations where Asians are very bearish and US traders bullish or vice versa.. This might make it trade and behave better. But, also, possibly not as reflective of the world BTC price.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Last Updated on March 1, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts